Sign in to follow this  

250 engine

Is the KLR 250 engine the same as the 94-96 KLX 250 engine? I found a website that offers a big bore kit for the 94-96 KLX engine that will make it 292cc's. If this is not the same thing then is there a kit that will make the KLR 250 engine any better? I know there is the new KLX250S, but I want to get something not so new.

go to the kawasaki website or search for engine specifications. If the bore and stroke are the same, then there's a good chance it's the same engine. I suspect that they are not the same, and the KLR has a longer stroke motor and wider gear spacing.

No. The KLR is also liquid cooled, but it shares NO parts with the KLX. If you want a big bore, you need to send the motor out to a shop that does the work. The cases need to be bored out to take a sleeve over 300cc.

I have a spare motor out at a shop, to have it bored and stroked to 370cc. I won't be seeing it anytime soon, it's springtime and every guy with a quad is trying to get it hopped up.

Kawi makes a quad that uses a variant of the KLR motor, the 250 Mojave. That's where most of the performance parts come from.

Devon

Hi I have got a 91 klr 250w 7000 mi and I also feel it could use just a little more power ! But I dont want to take the relibalty out of the motor, is the big bore the awnser ? I heard some stories that the motor smokes and is hard to start ! thanks jeff