glitching when quick rev

I have an '05 crf450x, and it glitches when I floor it, like when I wheelie. I will explain: so I worm it up with the choke on for about 5 to 10 minutes, turn the choke off and take off. so now Iam riding around and I decide to do a wheelie, I floor it and it GLITCHES, like it boggs and then it goes. It does the same thing on the whoops ( or whenever I floor it ), I gas it to wheelie over a whoop and it does it. And i know its not cold because I can be riding it for hours and it still does it. I think its carboration. Does anyone know how to stop the glitching without getting aftermarket parts? Can I tune it to not do that? Thanks and sorry if this has already been asked, brian

-------------------------------------------------

my bikes:

'05 crf450x

stock

'03 400ex

K&N air filter

BIG GUN full exhaust system

DYNO jet kit

BIG GUN rev limiter

AC RACING nerf bars

RENTHAL handle bars

DG front bumper

twist throttle

WOODY graphics

DOUGLAS rims

THROTTLE JOCKEY seat

ITP holeshot tires

ARMOR skid plates

my dads bike:

'05 crf450x

stock

my moms bike:

'00 recon

stock

stock jetting = suckass

stock fuel screw adjustment = even more suckass

Get yourself a bigger main jet and adjust your fuel\air screw 1 1\8 turns out or 1\8 at a time with the bike running and crack the throttle till you get it right. Also if it still does it ( i dont know why it would.. mine doesn't ) but you can buy a boysen quickshot accelerator pump cover and solve the problem.

Oh and heads up, Shorten that signature up.. 3 posts with you and it would start a new page ??

The jetting is the reason your bike is cutting out. I had the same problem. The stock main jet is a 142 most people switch to main jet sizes between 162 to 170. If you stick with the stock needle switch it to the 5th position. You have several choices you can buy the JD kit Dyno jet or buy separate jets and keep the stock needle. Definitely buy a zip ty fuel screw it is worth it's weight in gold. The Boyesen quick shot helps but keep in mind the more adjustments you make to your carb the more finicky it becomes.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you increase the main jet to a 162 and needle clip in the 5th position, do you have to open up the air box?

Imagine trying to run up a hill with only a straw to breath through. That's what your bike is doing after a rejet and corked airbox. ?

If you want a quick fix to some of the minor problems with the X check this site out. I did this and added a Boyesen Quick Shot. I have not found a need to do anymore but I am on the fence with the JD jet kit. We don't have that smog crap on the east coast but I heard for you Ca guys it is a must.

Read from the top of the page. This link will take you toward the bottom of the page.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/honda/2005mc/crf450xtec.htm#suspension

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

I was having that exact problem myself. The X comes stock real lean. The best remedy for this is the JD Jet kit. CRFSONLY sells it for $67. I have done quite a few mods to my bike and that was the best money I have spent...yet. You may be able to fix it by turning out the fuel screw some, and/or raising the needle a notch or two. What you are trying to do is richen the mixture. If you richen it too much the bike will still respond, but it won't be as crisp. I found it was easier to make it a little too rich and work my way back until I didn't have the bog, but I still have the crisp response. Hope this helps.

JD arrived at his settings on a WinPeg7 dyno with exhaust gas temp and content analysis and he happens to own the bike. That friends is a big deal.

You can make it "okay" with needle clip adjustments , main jets, pilot jets,leak jets,and endless tinkering with the fuel screw, but if you think it'll be as strong and crisp .......You should really ride one and see for yourself.

Some dispensing advise should include their near suicidal posts that showed a hell of a lot of frustration, then compare them to the guys who just followed the directions in the JD kit and they are done screwing around.

I have a buddy whio is good at jetting, and my JD equipped bike after installing a Stage 2 cam needed tweaked and he had it squared away in about 15 minutes.

What I'm getting at is if you really don't know jetting it can't be beat, and if you get it to "okay", before thinking "I showed those JD guys" pull your plug and tell us what you see.

If it's tan and you're running a 165-170 main you did good, if it's black and sooty, or worse, gray, then you didn't do so well. Better break out the pilots, the leak jets,etc.,etc. Doug

JD arrived at his settings on a WinPeg7 dyno with exhaust gas temp and content analysis and he happens to own the bike. That friends is a big deal.

You can make it "okay" with needle clip adjustments , main jets, pilot jets,leak jets,and endless tinkering with the fuel screw, but if you think it'll be as strong and crisp .......You should really ride one and see for yourself.

Some dispensing advise should include their near suicidal posts that showed a hell of a lot of frustration, then compare them to the guys who just followed the directions in the JD kit and they are done screwing around.

I have a buddy whio is good at jetting, and my JD equipped bike after installing a Stage 2 cam needed tweaked and he had it squared away in about 15 minutes.

What I'm getting at is if you really don't know jetting it can't be beat, and if you get it to "okay", before thinking "I showed those JD guys" pull your plug and tell us what you see.

If it's tan and you're running a 165-170 main you did good, if it's black and sooty, or worse, gray, then you didn't do so well. Better break out the pilots, the leak jets,etc.,etc. Doug

Spoken like a true genius. Anyone listening? JD got my bike right the FIRST time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, i think I'm going to try the JD jet kit , and yes i will probably go to CRFSONLY. oh and one more thing, does anyone know what jet #s to use and where?? i go riding it places from about 300ft elevation to about 6000 elevation. ok thanks a lot guys.

You just follow the included directions, they'll have you with a stock exhaust do the airbox mod, stock pilot, 165 main, red -tipped need;e in middle position, the directions are really clear.

Don't forget the smog pump kit if you're in California. Doug

Not trying to slam you here Doug, I think, but I have read so many posts of yours that make you aout to be the "jetting genius", and after all this time, someone else is woriking on your bike. I did about 20 minute of research, jetted once w/out the JD kit, did a plug read, changed the main once, and another plug read, and all was perfect, ALL ON MY OWN, no JD and only about an hour of my time, plus now I know my bike, not the "freind" who jetted it for me.

Hey, you sure never read anything I wrote claiming to be any jetting genius, that's for sure.

I know my bike very well, as a matter of fact I installed my cam and it didn't blow up !

However, after I installed it I had to learn some lessons on decompressors, it turned out if the decompressor was set according to factory specs with this stage 2 cam, instead of 58 I was only getting 50 pounds of compression, and my buddy, who is rOb by the way, jumped in and got it close enough that it ran great ANYWAY for the whole weekend !

After I got home I eventually got it figured out with HotCams help.

All I 'm saying is that the JD kit works great, and for most people it saves a heck of a lot of frustration and is a lot faster to get them dialed.

Yup, I'm no expert but I do know that a tan plug along with a 165 or 170 main jet and a JD needle is one nice running X , and it takes about an hour. Doug