KXf vs YZF

I am going to be getting a new 450 in the future and am really confused on what to buy. Up until now i have heard great things about the YZF and was totally going to get that. But recently my friend got one and has had nothing but headaches with it. He lost the air fuel screw then got that and is having a terrible time getting it jetted correctly. I have heard nothing yet on the KXf and was wondering how that is. I saw some of the shootouts and it seems to be a great bike. So can somebody tell me the pros and cons of each and maybe get on the right direction. ??:confused: Thanks for any input.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what will you be using it for? track or off-road? what bike do you own now?

pretty much the biggest difference is the kxf has a 4-speed and the yzf is a 5-speed. 4-speed is for the track. 5-speed is pretty good at both, but the 4-speed is better for the track. but in the end really up to ur own preference.

Well with blue monster the jetting you need to change it to a 48 pilot and a 170 main jet and change the front tire ***man the suck*** and the green monster is a good choice but there back shock sucks **from what I have herd** but with any 450 they are about the same so just pick your favorite color.

everyone who rides blue will just claim green is junk etc and stay with blue blah blah blah...probably 98% of them never touched the bike...also just because your friend had a hard time getting it jetted is the lamest excuse not to buy the bike...i think everyone on TT has probably had a hard time getting a bike jetted correct 1 time or another.....

both bikes are awsome...yamaha has proven its selve over and over...the kx450f has nothing but awsome reviews...even the for a first year bike they got it together right the first time...ZERO issues for a first time bike is damn good...pick what you think looks best and how much money is in your wallet

everyone who rides blue will just claim green is junk etc and stay with blue blah blah blah...probably 98% of them never touched the bike...also just because your friend had a hard time getting it jetted is the lamest excuse not to buy the bike...i think everyone on TT has probably had a hard time getting a bike jetted correct 1 time or another.....

both bikes are awsome...yamaha has proven its selve over and over...the kx450f has nothing but awsome reviews...even the for a first year bike they got it together right the first time...ZERO issues for a first time bike is damn good...pick what you think looks best and how much money is in your wallet

But doesn't the KXF have problems with the back shock?

I've heard you need to keep spare rear fenders around for the kxf because of the rear shock bottoming out. Other than that both bikes seem to be top notch. I ride KTM so no bias here!

I was in the same situation you were in back in January. I have two "friends" that both ride professionally, one rides supercross and one does offroad. The first "friend" rides for Honda. He wanted me to get a crf 450. After watching the degree of difficulty of doing normal maintenance, I crossed the Honda off the list. Of course he told me that he would help get me any parts that I needed and keep my bike running. He also told me not to get a Kawi based on the their questionable reliability. My friend who rides for Kawi just scuffed at that but when two of the Kawi bikes broke down during a race, one bike broke down for two races in a row I am glad I went with the Yamaha. I rode the Kawi and it had a good powerband and it was fun so there was nothing wrong with the bike. Of course it was already done with a different rear linkage and Pro Circuit suspension. Every day when I go home and pass my Yami in the garage, I am thankful that I made that decision.

P.S. In a drag with my "friend", the Yami pulled away rather easily.

thanks guys,i think i am going to keep saving towards the yamaha. I have been riding a lot of track lately and dome some dune riding when i can so it sounds like the Yamaha is a little bit more suited for me. Appreciate all the responses.