Sign in to follow this  

Toy Hauler trailer Vs class A/C motorhome with utility trailer in tow?

What do think think is better? I mean trailers today are really nice 5th wheels and goose necks and you can drop them at the track and go out. Motor homes are very nice and with a utility trailer have convenience. Toy hauler motor homes seem to compromise too much space for the garage or am I wrong? Just looking for input before I buy.

check out the Weekend Warrior superlite series, like the FS2300 or FS2500. sleeps upto 8 people and are really nice inside

check out a big RV show at some major city...if you have not already.

Every conceivable choice and configuration will be there on display.

BlackBuzzard

our last rig:

30' gearbox lsv with a 2500 chevy duramax towing it

our new rig:

2006 bounder 32W(8.1/allison) with 14' race trailer.

the toy hauler is no where near as nice as the motorhome. we like the motorhome way better.

depends if you want to store 1 or 2 things. toyhauler only need 1 spot to store. motorhome and trailer. 2 spots.. the part that great about toyhaulers is you can hold a hell of alot more water. which is good for week long desert trips. my th holds double what most motorhome hold :thumbsup:

So many choices. I've always done the motorhome/trailer route. A buddy of mine went the toyhauler, since he already had the crew cab diesel F250. Another went the Funmover route since it was just him and his wife.

The buddy with the Funmover has commented about with the only bed being the one over the cab, he would not want to stay in it for a week. They also wish for a slide-out.

If you already have the big truck, the toyhauler is going to less money, upfront and for insurance and taxes. Plus, you can use the truck for getting around at the races. Plus, you don't have another drive train to maintain.

We use our motorhome for non-dirt biking stuff. And when I go riding for the day and don't need to take the motorhome, I can pull the trailer behind the pick up.

Look at everything option out there.

Pro's and cons to each. I have a 32' Class A and a 20' enclosed trailer. If you travel long distances the motorhome is the way to go. Passengers can watch tv, use the bathroom, food from the fridge, etc. I have 40 gals of water in the trailer w/transfer pump (used to have a 60 gal tank but never used that much) and 95 gals in the motorhome. With this setup I have way more storage than a TB and the bikes have their own garage/workshop. Also be aware that you need to spend big money to get any kind of quality in a TB (Holiday Rambler as an example). Most are stick & twig construction, minimal insulation, built by cheap labor as fast as they can throw them together. The better motorhomes (and trailers for that matter) are metal framed with bonded laminate wall systems. All that being said the cost of ownership (depreciation, insurance, registration, etc) for a motorhome is definitely higher since you can't drive it to work everyday and will need another vehicle.

I like the RV and enclosed race trailer setup. We have a 31 foot class C and a 14 foot encosed trailer. Setup works great. We also take the boat when not dirt biking so the motorhome works out pretty good. If I had a large truck prior, I would have considered the toy hauler route.

What usually happens,is you think"ok this will work fine" and it ends up being a stepping stone... Ive started with the truck/open trailer and ended up with 40ft diesel and a 8 1/2 by 16 inclosed trailer with a fuel cell and water tank for back up .We usually in the motorhome every other weekend some where,although not always bringing the trailer and bikes. Figure that the size you need right now wont be enough(extra stuff that you dont need,but wont be with out,lol.) Good luck..and have a ball shopping for the rig(s) Charlie

I went through the same thing.

After four years in a trailer, three trips in a row I arrived late to the camp spot, once in the rain and twice in the howling wind. For the next 45-min to an hour I fought the element's while I turned my beloved toy hauler into a trailer. As I unloaded - cranked the jacks - leveled - started the water heater - made sure the fridge was working - locked up the toys - made the beds & wound down for the night.

In contrast, now, no matter how late I show up, I hit the automatic jacks, put out the slides and go to bed. In the morning I unload my toys from the cargo box, refreshed and start the fun.

Changed from a f250 diesel & 24' FunRunner to a 32' class A and a 16' cargo box.

I know, I know, now I can't unhook my truck in an emergency if I need it, but I also added a Hydralift to the motor home so I bring my street bike if I'm going somewhere without a group or when I don't have a "dingy" car.

Since I get a company car I my truck would just sit 90% of the time, it worked for me to off it & go with the rig, now I would NEVER go back to a tow behind!

Bottom line, what ever is going to get you out there more is the setup for you. :thumbsup:

I've tried about everything except a combination motorhome/toyhauler and haven't because I don't like the loss of space in the rear.

This is for short trips pulling 12 ft box

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P1010041.jpg

Long multiweek trips

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P1010031.jpg

I usually take the Road King and a dirt bike or quad. Depends on the destination.

I asked myself the same question last year. I went with the Sierra Sport 5th wheel. 2 slide outs and a garage so you don't have to smell the gas while your sleeping and eating. Works very well for me. I can drop the trailer and still use the truck without having to break down everything. Whatever you pick will work. Have fun and don't forget to use it, often

I've tried about everything except a combination motorhome/toyhauler and haven't because I don't like the loss of space in the rear.

This is for short trips pulling 12 ft box

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P1010041.jpg

Long multiweek trips

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P1010031.jpg

I usually take the Road King and a dirt bike or quad. Depends on the destination.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

:thumbsup:

If you have the money and space a class A is the way to go.

Another thing to keep in mind is where and when you are going to be towing or camping. If it requires travel in the mountains, in snow or off-road, You most likely are not going to want a motorhome.

I built this with the fact that I might drive couple hundred miles and have it rain.So equiped with built in Honda ev4010 rv generator, microwave,small toaster oven and a TV/VCR.I did go to the nascar race at Texas Motor Speedway a couple years ago only to have it rain for 3 days(Friday,Saturday and Sunday)and they ran the cup race on Monday.It was great,hanging inside watching movies,pop corn,Fajitas.Just my .02 worth.

DSC00145_1.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

:bonk::naughty::D:bonk::p :p

I built this with the fact that I might drive couple hundred miles and have it rain.So equiped with built in Honda ev4010 rv generator, microwave,small toaster oven and a TV/VCR.I did go to the nascar race at Texas Motor Speedway a couple years ago only to have it rain for 3 days(Friday,Saturday and Sunday)and they ran the cup race on Monday.It was great,hanging inside watching movies,pop corn,Fajitas.Just my .02 worth.

DSC00145_1.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

:bonk::naughty::D:bonk::p :p

That looks really nice!:p

I've seen you post tons of pics of the outside and garage area, do you have any of the cabin and camper portion????

I have had two TBs and love them. I agree with the points above, but another thing to think about is where you like to go. My family goes boondocking a lot. I can down some rough roads and off the beaten path, something that will be harder to do with a motorhome. I also like the versatility. I have loaded jeeps, bikes, rafts and kayaks inside. If you have ever spent a rainy day inside with a couple of kids, the extra room comes in handy.

That looks really nice!:bonk:

I've seen you post tons of pics of the outside and garage area, do you have any of the cabin and camper portion????

The back(garage) is 8ft and the front is 6ft plus the attic(cab over).So bunk in the attic part and a bench down the passenger side.The driver side has a floor to celing closet 16" wide and a smaller bench.Over head cabnets on both sides.It's too small to take good piks.I'll try to take some tomarrow from outside in. :naughty:

The back(garage) is 8ft and the front is 6ft plus the attic(cab over).So bunk in the attic part and a bench down the passenger side.The driver side has a floor to celing closet 16" wide and a smaller bench.Over head cabnets on both sides.It's too small to take good piks.I'll try to take some tomarrow from outside in. :bonk:

Reason I want to see, is I am seriously thinking of doing the exact same thing, and want to steal some ideas.:naughty:

I'm thinking for us, this would be a great setup-wife and kids, they can relax, nuke a sandwich, watch TV, sleep, all while I drive (I hate stopping for anything).

I could also use the cube van for close to home rides, and have all my gear, tools, bike, etc all ready to go, just hop in and head out. (I like to carry every possible spare part on planet earth)

For longer trips, I'd get a regular travel trailer (cheaper, lighter, etc) and tow it behind the van, and still be able to haul my bikes to one area or another, and have a vehicle to do "runaround" stuff with.

That, and who needs a pickup truck when you have a cube van?:D

I like the SUV or truck pulling a toy hauler the best. That way where ever you are going you still have a vehicle to drive around if you need to. If you’re in a motor home you are pretty much stuck where you set up camp. Just my .02 and my .02 aint worth much.