Credit where credit is due...AFAM

I was putting together a Tucker Rocky order about four months ago and needed a couple more dollars to qualify for free freight. Since I needed a new rear sprocket I ordered what appeared to be their best aluminum sprocket - something called an "AFAM" which at that time I had never heard of. When the sprocket got here I was horrified to see that it was made in France - I was going to just return it but since I did need it I figured that I might as well give it a try. Plus, I noticed that Skippy runs an AFAM sticker on his swingarm and he's one of my favorite riders. Anyway, I get around ten hours max on a Renthal sprocket (or chain wheel) and my AFAM lasted a solid fifteen hours. My guess on the 50% extra life is a better alloy - I think Renthal says they use 6061-T6 - maybe the AFAM is 7075?? In any event I have to admit that despite its place of manufacture it's a pretty good sprocket. ?

I was putting together a Tucker Rocky order about four months ago and needed a couple more dollars to qualify for free freight. Since I needed a new rear sprocket I ordered what appeared to be their best aluminum sprocket - something called an "AFAM" which at that time I had never heard of. When the sprocket got here I was horrified to see that it was made in France - I was going to just return it but since I did need it I figured that I might as well give it a try. Plus, I noticed that Skippy runs an AFAM sticker on his swingarm and he's one of my favorite riders. Anyway, I get around ten hours max on a Renthal sprocket (or chain wheel) and my AFAM lasted a solid fifteen hours. My guess on the 50% extra life is a better alloy - I think Renthal says they use 6061-T6 - maybe the AFAM is 7075?? In any event I have to admit that despite its place of manufacture it's a pretty good sprocket. ?

I wanted to get some AFAM's but they don't make a front sprocket for the CRF's. What gives? I was all ready to order them from the TT store and everything?

Oh, hey. I'm riding at Canyon on Sunday. if you are there I'll come over and meet you. ?

Oh, hey. I'm riding at Canyon on Sunday. if you are there I'll come over and meet you. ?

It will have to be the next weekend - this Saturday my brother and I are going to race the REM race at Glen Helen. We were going to race the OTMX International at Tulare but I guess it's been rained out. I've raced for years at GH but always on the National track - I've never even seen the back track. Anyway, assuming the REM race isn't also rained out I'll be racing in Cali this weekend.

I was looking at their Ultra light steel sprockets, but again, I can't find anyone that sells the things. I'm getting frustrated.

I have one of those on my extra rear wheel. I bought it on closeout from Rocky Mountain. I should've bought 5 of them!!!

I wanted to get some AFAM's but they don't make a front sprocket for the CRF's. What gives? I was all ready to order them from the TT store and everything?

Did you send an email to the TT Store to see if we can get you one????

Just because its not listed in the catalogs doesn't mean we can't get it.

Why buy any aluminum sprocket when a stainless will last 10times longer or more.....I just do not get it? ?

Ironman comes with countersprocket - and a 1 year guaranty ?

I cant even think about running aluminum sprockets down here, having something last single digit hours is not in my budget!

If anyone from AFAM read that testimonial they'd be pissed. 15 hours on a sprocket? That's terrible. That's bad PR. I probably ride 30 hours a month and my Renthal's go 6 months with ease. Now I've went back to SideWinder, we'll see if they're still the king.

I cant even think about running aluminum sprockets down here, having something last single digit hours is not in my budget!

I hear that.

I use to ride at a (practice) track alongside I-95 in Jacksonville, FL when I was stationed @ Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base in Southern Georgia.

A few hours there on my brandy new CR250 absolutely destroyed my chain & sprockets.

SS weighs more than AL but worth every ounce of extra weight, IMHO.

I put about 8, maybe 10 hours on my CRF's stock stuff, which is total butter anyway, threw it away, and got a Ironman set, unfortunately that set only lasted about 3 months, but I think the chain was the weak link. I got a replacement set with a DID ERV2, that one lasted about 7-8 months. It a rough environment, nothing but sand.

I had the iron man and it only lasted 12 hrs on the hr meter. Plus it weighed a lot. Renthal and sunstar last about the same 15hrs then I'm on borrowed time. I haven't tried Afam on this bike yet but will do. Also my bike is fully built and I often drag race at the Quarter and do A Lot of different wide open riding. Circle track- Drag race -MX - Ice race. Longevity depends on throttle use, easy yard riding or very smooth throttle control can milk any sprocket. Of all the stuff I tried I was least impressed with the Iron man.