Sign in to follow this  

Broken piston wrist pin

Just wanted to see if anyone besides myself have had a piston wrist pin to break in half?Ours broke this past weekend and when I called Kawasaki they said that they have had a few reported to them.I put the engine back together today and will be sending the parts back to them this week.

So did Kawi cover this? Did they give you a reason as to why this has happened?

Kawi did cover this repair but gave no reason for it happening that's why there calling for the part back.

Just wanted to see if anyone besides myself have had a piston wrist pin to break in half?Ours broke this past weekend and when I called Kawasaki they said that they have had a few reported to them.I put the engine back together today and will be sending the parts back to them this week.

See item #3 under "Reported Issues" of the FAQ Thread

You definitely aren't the only ones to experience the problem. Also, out of curiousity, since its been claimed that only the first run bikes have this issue, do you mind posting the last 4 digits of your serial number. Will give us an idea how far out others may expect to see this issue.

Good luck!!!!

ouch, i hope mine isnt going to go, mines around that serial number also. Were there any signs?

Wow thats a much higher number than I expected!

Yeah, exactly! From the earlier reports, I was expecting it to be a very low serial number. This means most everyone posting on this forum could be potentially affected. :thumbsup:

There were no signs that it was starting to break.It just sounded like a rod bearing was starting to go.He was a little gun shy that day...he had just blew his 250F up and knew that the sound wasn't normal.I'm glad he shut it down when he first heard it so it didn't do any more damage to the engine.

There were no signs that it was starting to break.It just sounded like a rod bearing was starting to go.He was a little gun shy that day...he had just blew his 250F up and knew that the sound wasn't normal.I'm glad he shut it down when he first heard it so it didn't do any more damage to the engine.

So what did they cover? Just the pin or the whole top end?

Thanks,

My bike is #9431. I hope it's was a small box of bad piston pins. I have about 25-30 hours on my bike and haven't heard or noticed any ugly sounds. :thumbsup:

My bike is #9431. I hope it's was a small box of bad piston pins. I have about 25-30 hours on my bike and haven't heard or noticed any ugly sounds. :thumbsup:

My personal guess is that if these pins are going to go on a bike, they are going to go within the first 10-20 hours. That seems to be the trend anyways.

my bike's serial is right around mxdads, i hope mine stays good. I'll cry if she goes.

• Like 1

WOW !! The same thing Happened to Edsals bike, Rider number 348 up in District 34. He told me something about the piston cracking in half and the bike started smoking then just stalled out. He was down at Englsihtown last wed. when it happened. Kawasaki gave him the parts and he was back racing at Hurrican Hills this past weekend. He said he had to replace the piston, rings and gaskets. Also mentioned that the kawi motor was alot easier to take apart than the Honda or Yamaha. I'll find out his serial Number and see if it is anwhere near the ones that have had problems.

I gota check mine too.

Siegel

After riding this past weekend at a local track I can't say enough how much better and how much easier this bike is to ride fast, it is a dream come true, heads and tails better than my 05 450 Yamaha I would be sick if she gets sick!HAHA