Sign in to follow this  

XR400 project.

My son and I finally finished our XR400 project. We bought a slightly neglected '01 400 a few months ago, fork seals leaking, plastic scuffed up, sprockets and chain shot, tires bald, engine running rough. After a valve adjust, new plug and a carb cleaning, we found that the engine was in good condition and ran pretty well, so we decided to make it into a decent woods bike. We put on a set of '99 CR forks, a new Edelbrock, new exhuast, tires, chain/sprockets. The bike has exceeded our expectations. We did about three hours of woods riding yesterday, trading off between the XR and my WR400. Although the bikes have a distinctively different feel, the XR is very much equal to the WR in performance and handling. Drag racing from a roll in 2nd gear, the WR is less than a bike length ahead at 50 mph. We are very pleasantly surprised with the large improvements from such modest modifications. :thumbsup:

Cool- makes me feel good to read that. When I was shopping last year it was between an '00 WR and the XR. The fact that I'm posting in this forum should tell you where I landed, but I still have those "What if...." moments. :thumbsup:

you sound like slapping on a set of inverted forks is as big of a deal as cleaning the air filter!

nice job, you got pics?

you sound like slapping on a set of inverted forks is as big of a deal as cleaning the air filter!

Same here, I was thinking nice low buck fix up, then it gets to the USD forks and the E carb.

Same here, I was thinking nice low buck fix up, then it gets to the USD forks and the E carb.

Actually, it is a fairly low cost deal, we have right at $2300 in the whole project including the cost of the bike, plus labor/fun. No, we didn't take any pix during the build, but I will take some of the final product and post them.

so how do the cr forks actually ride. Is the bike pretty hard on the rists and arms in the rocks? Lighter front end? How much for cr forks?

so how do the cr forks actually ride. ?

The CR forks are a huge improvement. We played with the shock clickers and spring tension to get the suspension balanced to suit us, the bike now soaks up the terrain like it never did with the stock forks, it is better under all conditions.

what did you do for clamps. they did not fit stock ones did they.

The fork assembly we bought came with the stock CR clamps and stem (which had to be machined to accept the stock XR400 head bearings). The lower clamp bolts interfered with the gas tank and would not allow a full turning radius, so we bought an Applied Racing lower clamp which solved the problem.

The fork assembly we bought came with the stock CR clamps and stem (which had to be machined to accept the stock XR400 head bearings). The lower clamp bolts interfered with the gas tank and would not allow a full turning radius, so we bought an Applied Racing lower clamp which solved the problem.

So did you use CR parts for the wheel, hub, axle, brakes, everything?

So did you use CR parts for the wheel, hub, axle, brakes, everything?

We used the CR wheel and axle, the original XR400 caliper bolted on.