Sign in to follow this  

06 ktm 450exc vs. 06 honda crf 450x

Ok I want a 450 that is green sticker legal and is RELIABLE and has great durability. Which of these two bikes is the most reliable and is the easiest to maintain. What are the valve check intervals on thes bikes?

My opinion is go KTM 450EXC. I have ridden and spent time working with both bikes and I can tell you that KTM is superior. :thumbsup:

Riding them back to back, one will notice that the KTM feels lighter and can turn better. The power is hard to compare since the Katoom has a stroker motor, but the KTM is definitely smoother and easier to ride longer. The Honda motor will build revs faster and therefore it has more acceleration. The Suspension on the CRFX is an all around better system than the KTM and it handles some obstacles (like whoops) better.

When it comes to maintenance, the KTM is far in front of the Honda. I must admit that I have worked more on my friends CRF450X than my KTM, which is two months older. It would seem that Hondas like to rip or bend radiators and my friend is constantly fixing them (even with guards). Also something to note is that aluminum frame. It looks cool but it is a nightmare to work around. Working around it to get at the carb is a joke compared to the KTM. Another interesting feature is the airfilter. The Hondas have some rotation trick to get the filter out of the small opening, but the KTM has no such trick, just pull it out. This list goes on and on. Trust me the KTM is much better from a maintenance standpoint. :thumbsup:

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to decide between the 450X and 450EXC. I believe the valve check intervals on the X are 15hrs compared to 30 for the EXC. The 5-speed transmission with dubious reliability is holding the Honda back for me. I blew up my CRF450R tranny once already, so I know first hand that 3rd gear can and does blow on these bikes. I also know KTM has issues, so I can't really say either one is better from a reliability standpoint. I like the way KTM's handle and feel off-road, except for the hard seat. If that's all I have to fix on the KTM, then I think I'm going in that direction.

:thumbsup:

I have an 03 450exc that I just replaced with a 450xc. I am "ktm guy", the xc is my 4th KTM. A good friend of mine rides an 05 CRF450x which I have ridden in a few different places. Like you would guess I prefer the KTM, but can tell you that my EXC felt slow after the first time I rode the CRFX. The CRFX has a great motor, but I think that is where its advantages end. I played around with the suspension adjustments on the CRFX and could never get the front end to my liking, it seemed to sit up too high and lack good "turn-in" to the corners. The Honda motor is a big part of why I have bought an XC, a bike and motor I can say enough good things about. For those wondering, the XC motor is more MX spec; short stroke, less flywheel, some other differences too :thumbsup:. On every ride I feel like I stole a works machine out the back of the KTM GNCC semi... [they do have a semi don't they?]

Funny thing about the radiators on the Honda, my friend can't keep from destorying his either, this with guards in place. I thought it was just him and his ability to crash, but maybe it is something inherent with the frame and radiator mounting system. And I also agree on the maintanence differences, that big silver frame is alot in the way of working on the bike. I am used to the process on the RFS models and have the oil change / valve adjustment down to about 60 minutes, baring any interruptions from junior. Also the threaded adjusters are nice on the Katoom.

I am interested to hear a few CRFX riders comment... :thumbsup:

I have a 05 crf450x. Overall I like the bike but there are some needs i would change. The weight is a big issue for me. The bike is really heavy. I want something with more power. Working on the carb is a joke. I seriously thinking of seling my bike and getting either a 450xc or a 525. Does the 525 seem heavy because the weight is the main factor for me. :thumbsup:

Thats exactly what I am doing. I have a 06 CRF450X and am replacing it with the 450XC on tuesday.

For 07 Models: Has anybody actually put their bikes on a scale? The published “dry” weights of the Honda CRF450X and the KTM 450 & 525 EXC & XC are all within 1 pound of each other, hovering around 250 pounds. I know that the Center of Gravity also plays a large part in perceived weight. Since Dry Weight is such a marketing issue with coolant, oil and even batteries (not to mention “truth”) being left out by some manufacturers I would like to know the actual weight. I have not yet seen any reviews that listed the actual weights. I agree with you guys that low weight is a key spec for an enjoyable day of riding, especially here in Michigan where we have these tall wooden things that need to be avoided growing right next to the trails.

My opinion is go KTM 450EXC. I have ridden and spent time working with both bikes and I can tell you that KTM is superior. :lol:

Riding them back to back, one will notice that the KTM feels lighter and can turn better. The power is hard to compare since the Katoom has a stroker motor, but the KTM is definitely smoother and easier to ride longer. The Honda motor will build revs faster and therefore it has more acceleration. The Suspension on the CRFX is an all around better system than the KTM and it handles some obstacles (like whoops) better.

When it comes to maintenance, the KTM is far in front of the Honda. I must admit that I have worked more on my friends CRF450X than my KTM, which is two months older. It would seem that Hondas like to rip or bend radiators and my friend is constantly fixing them (even with guards). Also something to note is that aluminum frame. It looks cool but it is a nightmare to work around. Working around it to get at the carb is a joke compared to the KTM. Another interesting feature is the airfilter. The Hondas have some rotation trick to get the filter out of the small opening, but the KTM has no such trick, just pull it out. This list goes on and on. Trust me the KTM is much better from a maintenance standpoint. :applause:

I agree 100%...i owned the 450x before my KTM...work and ridden both bikes many times...On the suspension issue I would say the range of conditions is wider on my Hondas (05 450X and 06 250r), but with the right springs (a must) and changing the compression dampening with conditions my KTM handles way better than my Hondas. All bikes stock valving, but I always change springs/oil level/clickers on all my bike for my riding conditions.

For 07 Models: Has anybody actually put their bikes on a scale? The published “dry” weights of the Honda CRF450X and the KTM 450 & 525 EXC & XC are all within 1 pound of each other, hovering around 250 pounds. I know that the Center of Gravity also plays a large part in perceived weight. Since Dry Weight is such a marketing issue with coolant, oil and even batteries (not to mention “truth”) being left out by some manufacturers I would like to know the actual weight. I have not yet seen any reviews that listed the actual weights. I agree with you guys that low weight is a key spec for an enjoyable day of riding, especially here in Michigan where we have these tall wooden things that need to be avoided growing right next to the trails.

Brand new '07 450EXC, full of fluids and gas tank topped off: My trusty bathroom scale says: Front Wheel = 131.0 lbs, Rear wheel = 137.5 lbs for a total weight of 268.5 lbs.

:applause::lol:

the 450 crf is faster and needs more attention, the KTM is a lovely bike depending on the rider, it can win any race...

i know my choice

it's hard for me as all these bikes"husky, yammy, suzuki, KTM,TM, VOR,kwaka,gas gas, have been road legal over here since release...i find i funny that.."land of the free" don't have the same options?

How do the CRF450X and the KTM450 compare to the Yamaha WR450F.

As far as reliability would the Yamaha be better? Also a lttle lighter and more power.:applause:

Last I heard when put on a scale the KTM is the lightest, in the specs it is the heaviest. KTM puts their REAL weight in the specs (GASP!). IMHO the KTM is also the most reliable, and my riding group has 3 CRF's and a WR to compare to. The WR seems pretty solid, but still feels considerably heavier; it didn't get much riding last year, so comparisons on reliability will have to wait. The CRFs are not UNRELIABLE, but seem to require more maintainance and that work is harder due to the @#$* aluminum frame being in the way of everything.

Power seems comparable on all the brands to me, though they "hit" differently. They're all good bikes, really.