Sign in to follow this  

+s & -s of new Husaberg

I picked up my new '05 FE650E from the dealer yesterday evening. I was very surprised that it came ready to dual sport with the exception of turn signals and a horn. Cool, I was told they came with some DS stuff but had no idea it would be so well equipped. On the bad side, the jetting was horrible. Fortunately, I had ordered some different jets that Dan from Motoxotica had recommended on Monday along with brake guards and a skid plate. UPS showed up as I was unloading my bike last night with my parts, SWEET! I just installed the new jets which made a tremendous difference-thanks Dan :thumbsup: . Can't wait to ride this weekend.

Congratulations on your new bike. :thumbsup: Dan rejetted my 550 before I picked it up. You'll probably want to gear it down one tooth on the countershaft. It's geared really high to lower the emissions levels during testing. It will take a good 12 to 15 hours of running to break it in and then you will notice a big difference in power on the bottom end. :thumbsup:

Thanks CelticDude, lower gearing does seem in order. The wide ratio tranny was one of the bikes selling points to me, seems similar to my "old school" Husky 610's and far superior to the KTM and newer Huskys. More low end you say, HOLY CRAP. I'm scared, the thing already reminds me of a super smooth KX500.

You'll probably want to gear it down one tooth on the countershaft.

?

seems like 1st gear is pretty short already, but i haven't had mine in any real technical stuff except maybe gold spike and sovereign trail in moab (semi-technical at worst).

i like the stock gearing fine, but i don't go slow much.

i found the stock jetting ok on the 550 too (at 4500'), but fattening it up a bit definitely helped with the power.

did you get the bike from NMS in reno? I'll probably stop and say hi to them tomorrow.

Congrats on yoru new bike too! What sizes of desert tanks can you get on the new Bergs? That and what is the lighting coil output for running of road lights? The 650 looks right for Baja down here. :thumbsup: Thanks. Steny

What sizes of desert tanks can you get on the new Bergs?

:thumbsup:

the only drawback to the berg is that no one yet makes a larger tank as far as I know. I get 70-80 miles on the stock tank (2.2 gal for 05). if i need to go further, i carry another half gallon in a gatorade bottle. I'm hopeful that someone will make a larger tank at some point in the future, but in the meantime I'm ok with the stocker.

Sparky

:thumbsup:

the only drawback to the berg is that no one yet makes a larger tank as far as I know. I get 70-80 miles on the stock tank (2.2 gal for 05). if i need to go further, i carry another half gallon in a gatorade bottle. I'm hopeful that someone will make a larger tank at some point in the future, but in the meantime I'm ok with the stocker.

Sparky

There is an oversized tank available for the Hbg. It is by Omero moto of Italy and is made of aluminum.

I remember that team from the 04 Baja 500. They pitted with Mag 7, but broke down, loss of gas or something. Wish they would come back again. That 650 looks like a Baja race killer. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

?

did you get the bike from NMS in reno? I'll probably stop and say hi to them tomorrow.

No, I'm down South. Got it at Sportsman Cycle in Vegas. It was a good deal, I think I paid less than what my KTM 520sx cost me two years ago.

I remember that team from the 04 Baja 500. They pitted with Mag 7, but broke down, loss of gas or something. Wish they would come back again. That 650 looks like a Baja race killer. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

We had a bit of fuel issue but have continued to race a KTM and a Honda 650R taking top 10 finishes in class and we won our class in the 250 on the KTM. If Husaberg would step up with a bike, we'd give is a shot. My new fe 650 is a rocket ship. BTW: PowerCell referenced my recent install of the underseat tank. I can tell you I've learned the hard way how not to install them.

I can tell you I've learned the hard way how not to install them.

What were your major pitfalls? I have one that I'm going to install on my '03 as soon as I get around to it... $170.00 is a lot for 0.75 gallons of gas... :thumbsup:

'Course, how much does pushing cost? :thumbsup:

Pay attention to the fuel line routing. The 'T' fitting they give you with it is now metal. They were plastic, but since we pitched such a fit (we went from 14th overall to 114th), they are now metal. I would not use the one supplied even though its metal now. Go to your local auto part joint and buy a brass 'T'. Have a look at all the pictures linked in the previous post, it's pretty straight forward. If you really want so go krazy, theres a guy on UHE named Taffy from the UK who made a dual inlet good that allows you to plug to fuel lines in to the side of your carb. I have the part but have not installed it yet. I'm most likely going to plug the aux tank directly in to the carb and eliminate the 'T' fitting completely.

When you cut off the tab for the ignition module, remember you are gonna re-use it. I also rounded the part of the tab I kept so it would fit in the top of the tank better. Weld the tab you cut off to the gizmo that holds the fuze block above the battery as shown in my pictures. I works like a champ.

The 90 degree goody from IMS is the hot ticket for the breather. I got some feedback that if you grind off just a bit of the threaded portion, it will tighten more securely in the tank.

I got 32 miles out of that tank in Mexico. I figure I'm good for 110 miles now. With this tank installed, I'd much rather use this set up than a bigger main tank because it distributes the weight under the seat. It also keeps the bike slender between ur legs. Kinda like an 18 year old girl friend :thumbsup:

PM me if you are racing the KTM at the 500 or 1000. I can help you with good bike pits. We have dry breaks. I wish you could race the berg in Baja. It was good to see it that time too. Our Husky came in 3rd for the 250 in Class 22. Hoping it will do better at the 500. They are racing the Code 500 first later this month. :thumbsup: