Sign in to follow this  

Charging battery

I know I've seen this answered but I'm unable to find it..

Should I charge my battery at 6 or 12 volts? I've been trickle charging at 6 volt setting. Today I went to start it and not enough juice to start.. There is an indicator on the charger that lights up for either "charging" or "charged", the "charged" one is lit :thumbsup:

12v

The owner's manual says:

"The standard charging rate is 0.7A x 5 to 10 hours."

Then it says:

"CAUTION

Exceeding the standard charging rate for the battery can shorten it's life.

Never exceed the standard charging rate."

So, looks like 12 volts at 0.7 amps for 5 to 10 hours (according to Suzuki).

WGW

12 volt setting. Don't worry about charge rate. You can be sure the DRZ charging system charges higher than .7 amp. Just don't boost it with a 30 amp booster charger for a car battery.

Ok thanks! You think charging it at 6volt may have ruined it? When I set it on 12volt now, after a couple minutes the "problem" light comes on. It is a battery tender "type" charger that turns off when fully charged.

My manual says not to exceed 3 amps with a 12 volt charger.

Recharging times: 0.7 A for 5 to 10 hours or 3A for one hour.

However the smart chargers are the best bet so you don't cook the battery.

Make sure you dont have the polarity wrong. + to + , - to - it's easy to hook to the battery wrong. Set on 6v it likely never "called" for the tender to kick in.

Spring is a good time for small battery manufacturers,they got some of my money this year.

I use a battery tender and it keeps it charged all the time. I just unhook and ride.

Dennis

Me too. Nee nee neee neee vroom.

If the battery has not been maintained above 6 volts for a long time (like all winter) it is probably a gonner. Have a shop charge it with a real charger to see if it can be "kick-started" back to life. I have no idea what the lights on your tender mean. Get a volt meter and use that.

I charge mine once per month for 12 hours, at 12 volts and 2 amps, while I have it in the basement for winter storage. I've been doing this for years, with dozens of bikes and jetskis. I've never had to replace a battery.

Free tip...

Never store your battery on a concrete floor. Always store it on a wooden shelf or bench.

Ok, I may have ruined it by leaving it at 6volt during the winter.. Good thing I have a kick starter!