KDX 200 or 220

Just do it!!! Do you plan to race it Off-Road or Enduros? If so remember, if you get the 220 you will be going up against mostly bigger bore bikes in the open class. Where as with the 200 you will only be competing with 200 or 250F's.

I owned a 2001 KDX 220 and raced it for 2 seasons then passed it down to my wife and then sold it to my moms boyfriend. Its going into its 6th riding season and still going strong. In my opinion, best and most bang for your buck bike made period.( say that fast 3 times!!!) ? When I purchased mine I chose the 220 cause of the extra torque, the o ring chain, and the hop up potential is greater with the 220.The stock pipe is a heavy dual wall unit so once you bash it replace with a FMF and save 5 pounds and gain some performance. Stock the 200 is actually faster on top. But bore the carb or put the 200's carb on the 220 and the 200 cant hang.

Its a shame there doing away with these great bikes,the 220's gone and it sounds like the 200 gone next season. Bottom line is, as Leakypipe23 said you just cant go wrong either way. ?

I bought a brand new 2005 KDX220 last August. I am a big guy but it gives me lots of fun. I changed the pipe and put in a aftermarket needle in the carb. It screams. I stayed with the stock muffler. If your just looking for a good time on the tight stuff they are great. I found long steep switch backs over heat mine. I have gone to special coolants to resolve the problem. I won't know if it works until I get the combination of hot weather and steep long hills. ?

OMT,

Get an overflow bottle, cap and washer for a 99 Yamaha WR400 for $30 from MRcycles.com and watch the overheating go away. I put one on my 99 YZ400F and it solved the problem. You won't dump fluid, and the filling/emptying of the bottle cools the fluid well.

OMT,

Get an overflow bottle, cap and washer for a 99 Yamaha WR400 for $30 from MRcycles.com and watch the overheating go away. I put one on my 99 YZ400F and it solved the problem. You won't dump fluid, and the filling/emptying of the bottle cools the fluid well.

Where did you find it on that site? Could not find the part but did you know that the KDX has a small overflow bottle? Comes stock with it.

Either, it really doesn't matter. I've had two KDX 200s now. I just sold one and replaced with another one. Their cheap, tough as nails, and are a blast on the trail - I love 'em.

If you get the 220, you might want to have the carb bored out to 35 - 36 mm.

Otherwise, there's just a couple of things both models will need to work very well:

* Aftermarket pipe

* Stiffer fork springs, (unless you weigh 135 lbs, in which case you will need a lighter rear spring). The bike comes way out of balance stock.

* Less high speed compression dampening so it doesn't throw you all over the trail. (remove 2 shims from the stock valve stack. Works remarkablly well, and it's free).

* Better tires.

That's the basics of it. The stock muffler even works ok. It doesn't hinder power, and is nice and quiet.

Thanks guys. I ride a WR450 and my son has a TTR225. I rode a KDX 200 a month ago and thought it would be a great bike for my son to move up to and frankly, I plan on riding it too occasionally because the WR can be heavy at times. Thanks for all the input.

Steve

I have had a 220 for the last year. My first bike. And this thing is awesome. I have ridden other bikes over the years and have fun doing so. But as a first time owner I can't complain. It is a 97 and runs like a champ. Low maintenance so far also. Oil changes and the standard stuff. Not so torquey that you get thrown all over the place, but enough to get where you want to go. I am about the only two smoke rider out of the group of guys that I ride with, but it seems to hold its own. All it needs is a better rider and it might be able to put the woopin on those guys. LOL Can't go wrong with this guy.