Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Petcock on S model

My petcock has some "bug"in it that is allowing the fuel to flow to freely:foul: . It has filled the cylinder twice, and the first time it sat long enought to start filling the crankcase . My question is two part

1. Is there a simple fix?:thumbsup:

2. Is there an aftermarket alternative and just replace the whole assy.?:thumbsup:

I appreciate all of your sugesstions on this, and "Thank You" for your help and insight.

Roger

1. Is there a simple fix? ------Probably. Take it apart and see what is wrong with it. Probably dirt in the plunger seal. Or possibly a torn "4 hole" disc seal behind the lever.

2. Is there an aftermarket alternative and just replace the whole assy?----Yes I think so. I see posts about a Pringle replacement but I don't think it is vacuum operated.

You have 2 problems. a) the petcock is not shutting off. :thumbsup: The float valve in the carb is also leaking. It is true that you should not rely entirely on the carb float valve to shut off the fuel long term (that is why it has a vacuum operated petcock) But fact is most float valves do seal well enough to prevent carb flooding for at least for overnight parking. Possibly there is dirt or gum in the whole fuel system.

Yes I think so. I see posts about a Pringle replacement but I don't think it is vacuum operated.

:thumbsup: Well Noble...When I am eating "PRINGLES"...I am sort of vacuum operated and I have a pretty good flow rate as they tend to disappear out of the can pretty fast...

You mean PINGEL which is a aftermarket fuel valve with a very high flow rate...I have one on mine...They cost about $20 more than the OEM version of the petcock for the E...

I wound up going with a PINGEL when I got put on a 2 month wait for a OEM one and then it still didn't come...Glad I got the PINGEL after that as it's flow rate is super high, the ON/OFF is smooth as silk...No more dribble problems when you turn it into the OFF position...

You are correct it is not vacuum operated...

pingel.jpg

pingel3.jpg