Can't remove flywheel weight, help!

I've got a 05 450f with a stealy flywheel weight. The problem is I have to take it off to put on a lighting coil. It won't come off! Are the threads regular, as in left to loosen? I have tried heating it with a torch. No luck. This is the point where I usually get frustrated and end up breaking something that costs alot of money so before I do that any suggestions? thks

I've got a 05 450f with a stealy flywheel weight. The problem is I have to take it off to put on a lighting coil. It won't come off! Are the threads regular, as in left to loosen? I have tried heating it with a torch. No luck. This is the point where I usually get frustrated and end up breaking something that costs alot of money so before I do that any suggestions? thks

If you are trying to remove the weight from the stock flywheel, then you are facing left handed threads (right to loosen, left to tighten). Hopefully you haven't tightened it too much... If you're trying to get the flywheel off the crank, a flywheel pull, like said above, is needed ($12).

If you are trying to remove the weight from the stock flywheel, then you are facing left handed threads (right to loosen, left to tighten). Hopefully you haven't tightened it too much... If you're trying to get the flywheel off the crank, a flywheel pull, like said above, is needed ($12).

Ah, left handed threads..that would make a difference. Thanks.

I am trying to remove the flywheel weight from the flywheel. Are you SURE it is left handed threads?

yep, I just pulled my flywheel off using a puller that is left hand threads. I have the same model/year as you. What I wonder is if you have over-tightened it.....keep trying.

Can you get the whole thing off the crank yet, or are you still working with it on the bike?

yep, I just pulled my flywheel off using a puller that is left hand threads. I have the same model/year as you. What I wonder is if you have over-tightened it.....keep trying.

Can you get the whole thing off the crank yet, or are you still working with it on the bike?

A puller that is left hand threads? Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. I have a stealy flywheel weight that you install by taking the nut off the end of the crank that holds on the flywheel and then you use the the flywheel weight as the nut. You screw it on then tieghten done 4 allen head screw on the side. I know that to remove the flywheel, not the weight, you use a puller that screws in left handed. But is the nut holding on the flywheel, which is now been replaced by my weight, Left handed?? The damn thing won't budge!!

To get the steahly off my YZ250, I turn it counterclockwise. I use the dummy spark plug that Steahly sells for $9.

Just took mine off yesterday. There may be locktite on there, which isn't bad, unless it's the red stuff.

Put that bar on that bolts to the outside of the FWW. Get the longest 1/2 drive ratchet, or a torque wrench with a long handle. Set it up so you have to push downward.

Also, call Steahly up. They are very helpful. The owner usually answers.

Good Luck.

KH

A puller that is left hand threads? Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. I have a stealy flywheel weight that you install by taking the nut off the end of the crank that holds on the flywheel and then you use the the flywheel weight as the nut. You screw it on then tieghten done 4 allen head screw on the side. I know that to remove the flywheel, not the weight, you use a puller that screws in left handed. But is the nut holding on the flywheel, which is now been replaced by my weight, Left handed?? The damn thing won't budge!!

So you are talking about removing a fastener (the fww) that is screwed onto the crank, right?? IF that is the case, just like the flywheel nut, it is a right hand thread. I apologize for the confusion, I haven't worked with a fww on these 450s, just on my daughter's KX65 which screws into the flywheel via the same threads the puller uses.

As said above, give Steahly a call, they'll be more familiar with what you are talking about and can help out a great deal more.

I appreciate the replies. Got it off. I have been using the plate that stealy supplies and it is a right hand thread. This was the problem. If you are very un-lucky it is possible, with the use of bolts that hold that plate on that are a little to long, to have those bolts line up with two holes that are on the flywheel. That was the problem. Those bolts were going through those holes, thus that weight was not coming off. One more for the books!