Sign in to follow this  

Do your SS VALVES make a ticking sound?

I just finished the top end on my 04 crf450 and I went with SS valves,new piston,rings..... She started up on the second kick after reassembly and since then its been just one kick. :thumbsup: This was my first 4 stroke rebuild as I was a 2 smoke guy since I was a kid so I was nervous about this top end.

I put in a couple of mild 20 minute sessions today just to break it in but I noticed a slight ticking sound from the valve train. Its very slight and not really noticeable on the cam chain side but more noticeable on the exhaust side.

When I set the decompresser I ended up at .0265. I thought that was close enough but maybe not. The ex valve is at .012 so you add+.014=.026 for Decompresser.

Is the faint ticking normal for SS valves or did I not set the the decompresser correctly? :thumbsup:

No the seats still looked good so I lapped them and put it back together. Even before lapping the SS valves the bad intake seat looked pretty good it was close to one thousands and once lapped in that valve was less than one thousands. So I went ahead and put togther.

Its not a loud tick either I just don't remember noticing the stock valves being quite that noticeable. Maybe I am just paranoid and the stock valves did the same thing.

Its not a loud tick either I just don't remember noticing the stock valves being quite that noticeable. Maybe I am just paranoid and the stock valves did the same thing.

I noticed my SS valves making the same noise.. RHC did my head so I know it's right.. I have put about hour of hard riding and checked them today still right on.. I'm not worried about it..

I'm pretty sure it always made that noise. Mine did both before and after the change to SS valves... I wouldnt worry about it really...

the actual noise that you here is the valve contacting the valve seat its not the clearance being taken up from the lash .increased lash can cause the valve to make more noise because its closing on a faster part of the cam profile the valve ishitting the seat harder .titanium will transfer less noise than steel it would be like hitting a peice of steel with steel and then hitting the same peice of steel with aluminum its going to make a dull thud .also i like setting the exhaust valves closer to .009" and the intakes @ .005".

I just did my valves and have the same noise. I have about 6 hours on the top end and it runs and starts great. I've read on here for a while that the SS valves make a little more noise than the Ti, so, I was expecting it. Now that it's broken in I am going to tighten up the gap like RHC said to. He seems to be the most knowledgeable and respected person on here about these valves. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info guys!!! I feel better knowing that others that have run these SS valves for months, years and have a lot of hours have noticed the same slight ticking. You only really hear it at idle say 1700RPM or so.

I think I will :thumbsup: and when I check them I will tighten them up like Ron suggested. :thumbsup:

the actual noise that you here is the valve contacting the valve seat its not the clearance being taken up from the lash .increased lash can cause the valve to make more noise because its closing on a faster part of the cam profile the valve ishitting the seat harder .titanium will transfer less noise than steel it would be like hitting a peice of steel with steel and then hitting the same peice of steel with aluminum its going to make a dull thud .also i like setting the exhaust valves closer to .009" and the intakes @ .005".

I guess I need too shim my exhaust down a little bit, My intake are right on @ .005, but my exhaust are at .011..

usually check the clearance after break in, may have moved a bit

I do.. I checked them before and I check them after... They have not changed ..

One thing that I would like to bring up, since this is your first 4 stroke

rebuild...

The book calls for your piston to be installed with the "IN" that is stamped

on top of the piston to point toward the carb. Most after market pistons

only have an arrow on top of the piston. Usually the arrow needs to be

pointed toward the exhaust.

At first glance, there doesn't seem to be a difference in the valve

cut-outs on the piston, but a closer inspection reveals one side is closer

to the edge of the piston.

One of my friends installed the arrow toward the carb and had a noticeable

valve train noise for a week. He pulled the cover and of course all looked

fine. Then a valve broke.

Just be sure you had your piston turned right.

Simple mistake...costly mistake. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mcanna- I am good on the piston I made sure the IN was on the intake side. It seems the minor tick that you hear at idle appears to be normal for SS valves. So I think its good to go :thumbsup: