Sign in to follow this  

New bike hesitating

I have a 2006 DR650 and I have done the DYnojet kit, the air box mod and Jesse's fuel screw. The bike runs good enough but I notice that after racing through traffic, I eventually have to wait for a light and when I take off again I acts like it is going to die for a split second then takes off again. When I first did the Dynojet kit, I set the screw at the 2.5 turns out and the problem was worse. I called Jesse and he said that I should have it at 1 turns out. I did that and it has been better but still hesitates like it is going to stall when I take off from a light. Any suggestions? Not a huge problem but it is un-nerving when you think you might have to restart in heavy traffic.

Thanks

What size jet are you using? I had the same problem on my '06. I first used the 160 and the bike ran worse than stock. Then I tried the 155 and it runs pretty good. I may try the 150 to see how that works. I still have the stock exhaust (for now). I'm not sure how to tell what the best setup is without just trying the different setups and judging that way. Good luck.

I have the 155 in now. I'll try the 150 tomorrow. I see alot of people running up to the 170's but they probably have an exhaust. I just have stock. Thanks for the replys...I was going to go up to a 160 to see if that was the problem but now I have a good idea that I need to go down.

Nathan

Let us know how the 150 works for you. I also have a K&N with Jesse's prefilter...not sure how much difference that makes, probably some.

Paul

I tried the 150 but then the bike seemed to starve for gas. It was mostly happening when I would really get on it. Also, the almost stalling problem at the light was the same. I put in the 160 tonight and will see how it runs tomorrow. I am trying 2 turns on the fuel screw as well. Anyone else running a 160 with the box cut open and 2 turns? I am in Sacramento, I think its about 50 feet above sea level here. Can't be much more than that.

Hope this works,

I just installed the DJ kit in mine. I'm at 4500' and Jesse at Kientech suggested the 150 jet, with the clip in the 3rd or 4th slot. I chose the 3rd slot, and also drilled the slide. I set the idle screw at 1 3/4 turns. My bike runs great...started right up, and runs clean at all speeds, and seems to be much cooler than before the mods. I'm running the stock exhaust, cut out the top of the airbox, and removed the backfire screen.

Itis running way tooo rich. downsize the jet.

But this depends on the situation, right ?

If it hestitates right from idle, even when you are not applying full trottle to get away, then the main jet should not be to blame, since it only operates at 3/4 - full throttle...

Maybe the needle needs adjustment ?

I have sometimes felt the same problem. It seems to die for just a fraction of a second. It never does though, and it only happens sometimes. I run with my stock muffler currently, and a 160 jet + the other mods. Mixture is set as stock (have not drilled that). I dont remember having this problem with the CRD muffler though, will switch it later and see if it makes any difference. Dont really like the CRD though, it is TOO loud. Pisses of people nearby, which makes it harder sometimes when trailriding etc

/K

I rode to and from work today with the 160 main and it ran better than it ever has. It still has a slight blip when I take off but it less noticeable. Definately seems more alive through the rest of the range though. I need to check the plugs this weekend and see where I am at.

I tried the 150 but then the bike seemed to starve for gas. It was mostly happening when I would really get on it. Also, the almost stalling problem at the light was the same. I put in the 160 tonight and will see how it runs tomorrow. I am trying 2 turns on the fuel screw as well. Anyone else running a 160 with the box cut open and 2 turns? I am in Sacramento, I think its about 50 feet above sea level here. Can't be much more than that.

Hope this works,

I just swapped the 155 for the 150 last night. I've been smelling gas (from the exhaust???), so I thought that I might be too rich. Anyway, I only went down the block and back, but it seemed to run pretty good. I'm going to ride to work today and see how it does.

I think the only mod I haven't done regarding the jetting is I have not removed the backfire screen. Is there a general consensus about this? Take it our or leave it? I read somewhere about the bike catching fire if it back fires without the screen in. I'd really rather not have a fire between my legs while I'm riding....not sure if that is a legitimate concern or just BS.

I pulled the screen because everyone said so. Brianwheelies had a thread about the screen preventing stuff from falling in so there may be a point there. Maybe he will respond about whether he put it back in and if so how it affected the performance.

I saved mine and would put it back in if someone confirmed that there is no noticeable restriction in flow.

Just got back from a longer test ride with the 150 jet in...don't like it. I got on the freeway and the bike just didn't seem to want to pull in 5th gear. It seemed to sputter and felt lifeless. I also had a lot of popping on decel. Anyway, looks like I'm going back to the 155 until I get an aftermarket pipe. I think I'll remove the backfire screen while I'm in there this time. I'm getting pretty efficient at swapping the jets!

I have a 2006 DR650 and I have done the DYnojet kit, the air box mod and Jesse's fuel screw. The bike runs good enough but I notice that after racing through traffic, I eventually have to wait for a light and when I take off again I acts like it is going to die for a split second then takes off again. When I first did the Dynojet kit, I set the screw at the 2.5 turns out and the problem was worse. I called Jesse and he said that I should have it at 1 turns out. I did that and it has been better but still hesitates like it is going to stall when I take off from a light. Any suggestions? Not a huge problem but it is un-nerving when you think you might have to restart in heavy traffic.

Thanks

ALL you guys running jet kits and air box mods complaining about performance MUST change from the stock exhaust...and go for something that allow the motor to benifit from the increased air and fuel being let in...IT HAS TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT AS EXHAUST IN ORDER TO INCREASE OVER ALL HP. :crazy:

ALL you guys running jet kits and air box mods complaining about performance MUST change from the stock exhaust...and go for something that allow the motor to benifit from the increased air and fuel being let in...IT HAS TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT AS EXHAUST IN ORDER TO INCREASE OVER ALL HP. :ride:

Okay, I guess I'll go ahead and bust the budget this month and order a pipe. I put the 155 back in tonight and it still seems to hesitate a little on the freeway at around 60mph. :crazy: I guess it makes sense that if there is more air going in, then more air needs to come out as well.

I had all the above mods(DJ,K&N,Box,Screen gone) and the 155 MJ.

I still had the stock exhaust (monster) pipe and had a sur-sur surging thing going on. I never really felt like it would die but did have a flat spot at just off idle... Like at the light,, kind a blaaa-Zoom feeling... If it is poping that is lean or a air leak from one of the carb boots,,, I do know that....

Yep tax return came in and blew my portion on the new FMF pipe from Jessi..

Dang What A Change ! :crazy:

I got some pics I'll post up later today on it.....

Gone are the flat spots,chugging,surging, and the throttle responce is what I would call "Snappy" for a thumper ! Try 40MPH to about 90MPH in 5th....and never feels out of the power band,, It really comes on about 50 with the 14 tooth CS.

I used the 170 MJ and 4th clip,,, Plugs seem a bit white though...

I will place the clip in 3ed and give it a run.....

Spend the money,, It makes life worth thumpin' !

ALL you guys running jet kits and air box mods complaining about performance MUST change from the stock exhaust...and go for something that allow the motor to benifit from the increased air and fuel being let in...IT HAS TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT AS EXHAUST IN ORDER TO INCREASE OVER ALL HP. :ride:

Actually - no !

I run my DR650 both with stock and CRD muffler.

Sure it gets a bit better with the CRD, and noise increases a lot ! :lol:

But the stock muffler is really good actually !!

I dampens the noise without taking too much power. The DR650 stock muffler has, from what I have heard here, got a really good reputation having a good flow. The worst problem with it is that it weighs a ton ! :ride:

The last bit of power comes from a good slipon though, but the biggest gain is from the airbox and carb mods for sure!

The if you are going to run the biggest jets you will probably need a slipon, but doing the basic mods and still running with stock exhaust still gives you a lot ! :crazy:

And of course there is the placebo effect - the sound is better, thus you ride faster right :cheers:

/K

I got my FMF from Jesse the other day, put it on last night, installed the 160 jet and I'm liking it a lot. I think the pipe really pulls it all together...no dead spot in throttle. I have quite a bit of popping on decel, but from what I've read that seems to be normal. I did notice a couple of times when I was sitting at a red light for a couple of minutes and then tried to take off at the green light, the bike cut out, it didn't stall, just cut out...I just let off the throttle and hit it again and away I went...? Anyway, I'm pretty pleased. I think I have it dialed in where I want it. Now it's time to ride! I've only got just over 400 miles on it!