Places to Ride in Reno...

Because we have more and more riders coming to Reno to ride, I put together a few files to aid navigation and locate the staging areas. It has most of the good spots to ride near Reno. The files are linked below. There is a Google Earth file (KMZ), a Garmin Database v.2 file (GDB), and also a GPS Exchange file (GPX), which will can be imported into Google Earth and most GPS devices and mapping software. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Google Earth KMZ file

Garmin Database v.2 GDB file

GPS Exchange GPX file

Search Keywords:

Moonrocks

Sand Mountain

Stead

Honey Lake

Mustang

Fernley

Prosser

Jumbo

Dog Valley

Peavine

Johnson

I cant open it.

Save the file to your computer.

Open the Google Earth program.

Go to FILE ---> OPEN.

Select the file...

or

Open the Google Earth program.

Drag the file onto the map area of the program.

***Updated***

Added the GPX and GDB files, for those who might be interested.

Right on, thanks! Added to my Google Earth database. :thumbsup:

Any suggestions for the best place to trail ride near Reno?

Dog Valley gets my vote. Its nicely wooded and has a good mix of terrain. Some really nice singletrack.

Moonrocks is alright if you like wide open spaces and natural whoops. Some singletrack and the sand washes a pretty awesome to carve up.

lemmon valley-golden valley is good too!!!

a word to the wise for all you cali guys coming over to ride nevada. please take an extra moment to think about courteous and sustainable riding. i hear alot of people say 'nevada is wide open, you can ride anywhere, etc....." but in real life this is changing fast, partly because of the increased use from californians, and partly because too many damned anti-access cali kooks are moving here.

i've ridden with groups of guys from cali that felt no particular need to stay on or even near the trails. somewhere like moonrocks, all it takes is 10 guys to do that and poof, you have a new trail in a place that already has 8 billion trails right next to each other. i've been at meetings where anti-access folks have showed pix of trails going everywhere like that in an effort to close those areas to riding. right now every blm district in nevada is in the process of designating motorized trails. it's just like the usfs process, except a little slower and more thorough, but the bottom line is that the days of riding wherever you want cross-country in nevada are pretty much gone.

so if you come visit, please enjoy yourself, but don't make it worse for us. stay on the trails, keep your bike quiet (esp near houses) and don't be a dick.

Thanks for taking the time doing this. I'm moving to Fallon next summer and did not know all these places were there. I've been to some but can't wait to check out the other ones :thumbsup:

getting a ride together this saturday any you reno guys interested ?

a word to the wise for all you cali guys coming over to ride nevada. please take an extra moment to think about courteous and sustainable riding. i hear alot of people say 'nevada is wide open, you can ride anywhere, etc....." but in real life this is changing fast, partly because of the increased use from californians, and partly because too many damned anti-access cali kooks are moving here.

i've ridden with groups of guys from cali that felt no particular need to stay on or even near the trails. somewhere like moonrocks, all it takes is 10 guys to do that and poof, you have a new trail in a place that already has 8 billion trails right next to each other. i've been at meetings where anti-access folks have showed pix of trails going everywhere like that in an effort to close those areas to riding. right now every blm district in nevada is in the process of designating motorized trails. it's just like the usfs process, except a little slower and more thorough, but the bottom line is that the days of riding wherever you want cross-country in nevada are pretty much gone.

so if you come visit, please enjoy yourself, but don't make it worse for us. stay on the trails, keep your bike quiet (esp near houses) and don't be a dick.

Amen! I wish it were just the California riders. But, alas, there are way too many clueless Nevada riders, as well. A lot of riders really don't give a damn about others or the long term effects of their irresponsible riding habits. They ride unnecessarily loud bikes, are a nuisance around developed areas, and have no qualms about creating new trails and destroying habitat in already heavily used areas.

To those that are clueless - wake up, pay attention, and give a damn. Our riding future is at stake.

To those that are aware of these issues and choose, through selfishness, to ignore them, shame on you.

As for promoting our local riding areas to out of staters, well, I'm not so sure it's such a great idea. Call me selfish, but I have a pretty good idea, from what I've seen where I ride, that these out of state visitors are not going to have the same level of respect for our favorite riding areas as we do. I've witnessed groups from that other state come to my riding area, set up camp, whip out the ATV's and motorcycles, and proceed to destroy the place. Who needs a trail?! Hey, it's not their yard. Whatever damage they do is out of sight and out of mind by the time they're half way home.

Everybody wants to share a good thing when they've got it. However, maybe it's a better idea to keep our best riding areas a well kept secret from the rest of the world, for as long as we can. They will be discovered and raped soon enough. Let's not hasten the end.