Sign in to follow this  

First Date

What's your own personnel technique when it's time to try a new jump for the first time? What are you thinking/doing when approaching the jump? Did you find anything that works better? Did you ever crashed from trying a new jump late in the day? :thumbsup:

Ahhh! Gotta love the feeling of clearings a new jump. :thumbsup:

Dont think just go.

thats how people get hurt

i just ride by it to see how far the gap is. then i go at the speed i think i will need to clear it and stop right before the lip a couple of times. next i just go for it if it feels good and if not then i make someone else do it first :thumbsup:

On new tracks were I'm not farmiliar with some of the jumps. I just roll them on the 1st lap ( thinking about what gear I should use, etc) then 2nd lap I just go for it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dont think to much.If you are nervous you might go up to face of the jump and decide you dont want to do or this,Or thinking you cant then thats how ou get hurt...Think positive

Dont think cuz the longer you think about it the better of a chance you will over think it and crash

most of the time it is better to overjump something than too case it. and when im looking at something for the first time i like to look at the whole thing and convince yourself that it is easy and you will jump it.

On new tracks were I'm not farmiliar with some of the jumps. I just roll them on the 1st lap ( thinking about what gear I should use, etc) then 2nd lap I just go for it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's what i do

Completely off topic:

The more I look at it, the more I think jump are like girls. It usually got curves, but it can be flat on top. Some are big, some are small, long or short . Some are rock solid, others are slacker. When they are new they are smooth like a dream but the older they get, the rougher they are. We all love them smooth but we gotta deal with rough ones at some point. Not matter what we say, we judge them by their look and size, admiring their curves and analyzing their face. Because the best way to nail that thing is to properly show up to the face. We all start in front, some people stop halfway, but it doesn't count till you reach that spot. Some conservatives will only jump one or two, but if you want to be the best, you gotta get em all. The pros are the one who triple all the time.

In the end, What a great feeling it is to finally nail a new jump. After all the work, money, stress, observation and asking around people who already did it (maybe even following them :thumbsup: ).

And as you all said: "Just go for it"

:thumbsup:

o yea ive had my fair share of spills, front end landings,washing out, so yea thats why im asking for some pointers to prevent the bike from moving where i do not want it.

What's your own personnel technique when it's time to try a new jump for the first time?

To start out, I use the old method of jumping just a bit farther each time until I get a good idea of the gear that will work best and how much speed will be needed. After a few trial runs and chickening out a couple times, eventually I'll get an adrenaline rush during the approach, say #&%@ it and go for it.

What are you thinking/doing when approaching the jump?

On the first jump, I'm usually thinking something like "#&%^ it, I'm going for it, crash or not." After that first time, I'm just thinking about my approach speed and what the next obstacle after the landing is.

Did you find anything that works better?

Sort of. Have someone bump you, wreck you, etc. Then get mad to the point where you're going to either catch back up to them (for payback) or wreck trying. At that point you'll have very poor judgement and no fear, which lends itself to trying things you hadn't before; but it is also a good way to get hurt.

Did you ever crashed from trying a new jump late in the day?

Yes. Being tired (mentally as well as physically) and forcing yourself into something you're hesitant to do usually doesn't end with the desired result.

Completely off topic:

The more I look at it, the more I think jump are like girls. It usually got curves, but it can be flat on top. Some are big, some are small, long or short . Some are rock solid, others are slacker. When they are new they are smooth like a dream but the older they get, the rougher they are. We all love them smooth but we gotta deal with rough ones at some point. Not matter what we say, we judge them by their look and size, admiring their curves and analyzing their face. Because the best way to nail that thing is to properly show up to the face. We all start in front, some people stop halfway, but it doesn't count till you reach that spot. Some conservatives will only jump one or two, but if you want to be the best, you gotta get em all. The pros are the one who triple all the time.

In the end, What a great feeling it is to finally nail a new jump. After all the work, money, stress, observation and asking around people who already did it (maybe even following them :thumbsup: ).

And as you all said: "Just go for it"

:thumbsup:

haha thats great

on a new track i just roll all big stuff to get a look at them and think about what gear to use..and then on the 2nd lap i will jump mostly everything..and then i will work on what im not comfortable with yet..i found if someone calls me a pansy and stuff and pisses me off..(my dad does it to me on purpose) i ride faster then hell and jump everything

With my first double, I asked my dad if he thought i could clear it. He looked at a totaly different double and said, "NO WAY IN HELL" I said, "No, that one right there!" He just walked away!!! He doesn't like motocross at all, so i thought, FU*K it, i can do it! I hit that jump pissed off and did fine. I didn't even think about how fast i should go right up untill the lip i was so mad!

With my first double, I asked my dad if he thought i could clear it. He looked at a totaly different double and said, "NO WAY IN HELL" I said, "No, that one right there!" He just walked away!!! He doesn't like motocross at all, so i thought, FU*K it, i can do it! I hit that jump pissed off and did fine. I didn't even think about how fast i should go right up untill the lip i was so mad!

Was that the jump you father was pointing out?

I check out the jump then I sing a song in my head so I don't think about the injuries that I could get if I don't make it.