Sign in to follow this  

The TRAILTECH FLYWHEEL...The real weight reduction for a DRZ.

OK...Got my Trailtech flywheel yesterday and got it installed today...First off...

I'd like to point out that the Trailtech flywheel is NOT 16oz lighter than the stock DRZ flywheel...It may be 16oz. lighter than the LTZ400 flywheel and if so that means the DRZ stock flywheel is 8oz. lighter than the LTZ400 flywheel...As the photos show below the Trailtech flywheel is exactly 8oz. lighter than a stock DRZ flywheel...

This pic is the weight of the stock DRZ flywheel...

3 pounds 3.3 ounces

realweight2.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

This pic is the weight of the Trailtech flywheel...Exactly

weighing 2 pounds 11.3 ounces...EIGHT ounces lighter...

realweight.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

Here are pics of the Trailtech Flywheel....

trailtech2.jpg

trailtech1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

And here are pics of the Trailtech and the stock flywheel side by side

flywheel2.jpg

flywheel1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

Now the part about the magnet being MUCH stronger

in the Trailtech is absolutely true. Pulling a screwdriver away from the Trailtech flywheel magnet is MUCH harder to do than the stock flywheel...I'll leave that to the electrical experts here to say whether that will result in more wattage output like the Trailtech advert says (As I don't know how to test that)...

--------------------------------------------------------

So far the only testing I've done was some quick runs through town and down the highway section. I did notice

what seemed to be a "little" more snap but of course we're talking about a 8oz. reduction and not the 16oz. reduction that was advertised for the LTZ400. Still for the price it's not that bad to add a little more response (And possibly a little more wattage output?)...

In summation I would put this modification on par with the Magura Clutch Mod...Not really necessary...Adds a tiny bit of performance/another tweek to your machine. Each person will have to judge whether or not it's worth it to them...

I installed one in my SM about a week ago, noticable improvement in responce for me, and yea the magnets are a lot stronger, I would definately recommend this mod. :thumbsup:

You guys are killin me. One's on the way, but if I install it, I don't think it can be returned :thumbsup:

I'd like to point out that the Trailtech flywheel is NOT 16oz lighter than the stock DRZ flywheel...It may be 16oz. lighter than the LTZ400 flywheel and if so that means the DRZ stock flywheel is 8oz. lighter than the LTZ400 flywheel...

They didn't get it -16oz for the LTZ, either. They only got it down -8oz on that one, too...

I sent my LTZ flywheel to Jeff Homolka at ProCycle, and he got it down to -9.8oz.

They didn't get it -16oz for the LTZ, either. They only got it down -8oz on that one, too...

I sent my LTZ flywheel to Jeff Homolka at ProCycle, and he got it down to -9.8oz.

How do you like it? How about a ride report?

Amazing difference on the LTZ, especially coming out of tight corners with a jump right afterwards. It revs much faster, launches harder off the gate, and has much more mid-range punch on the track. That's exactly what I was looking for when I researched it, and it's exactly what I got. ProCycle, shaved it -9.8oz and balanced it, and it was a helluva lot cheaper than getting a new flywheel.

At the time, I didn't have a choice about doing it, because the lining on my stock flywheel started to separate. I found a stocker on Ebay for cheap ($25), then sent it off to Jeff. I packed it and shipped it to them with a M.O. for $55, and a week later, it was on my doorstep (over last July 4th weekend, too). Good work, good guy to work with, and great product. I told him to take off as much as he physically could, and that's what it ended up at. I wouldn't go back to a stock 3lb LTZ flywheel for anything...

EDIT - I had asked TrailTech about making a lighter flywheel when I researched this, and they weren't even in the planning stages yet. I found ProCycle, and they offered the lightening service, so that's who I went with at the time...

Well, this goes on the list of potential upgrades for after the warranty expires.

Here are two comparison pics between the stocker and the shaved flywheel:

flywheelcomparo12ix.jpg

flywheelcomparo29tj.jpg

Yesterday I got to take the DRZ for it's first real off-road with the Trailtech Flywheel...I need to modify my initial impressions which were solely done on road...

The reduced flywheel weight (even the real 8oz. reduction) has a quite dramatic effect off-road...The engine does respond quite a bit quicker...This was not noticed as much on the road but is quite apparent off-road...Where the difference really shines is in loose dirt or SAND...Here is where the reduced weight of the flywheel has it's most pronounced effect...The slight hesitation of the engine as you rev it (not carb) is gone...the response is now much closer to the response of a 2 smoke...With this and the 11K Procomm box I am running engine braking and flywheel effect is greatly reduced...Now very similar to the ride and response of my friend's WR426...

So my preliminary impression based solely on the road response was premature...After having ridden with it off-road I am quite happy with this mod...So much so that there is no way I would go back to the stock flywheel weight...

This mod is NOT for everyone...If you are an "on the gas" rider having ridden motocross 2 smokes before and you like that type of response and it suits your riding condiditons (open/dry) then you'll like this lighter flywheel...If you're a plonk-a-long trail rider then I'd stay with the stock one (Sorry no idea for SM)...For me this was definitely a very good mod... :thumbsup:

I am sorry if this is a dumb question but does the lighter flywheel have any negative effects on starting the bike? And how hard is the install?

The installation takes about an hour...take off the ignition case (drain oil first). Remove the nut holding the flywheel and the screws (Screws can be removed with impact driver)...Removing the flywheel is not that difficult...I borrowed a sort of generic puller with arms and a center bolt...Once I tightened that significantly to the point where I could no longer tighten it and the pull force was quite substantial on the flywheel I then just used some slight hammering force to knock the flywheel loose. Once that's done just put it back together with the new flywheel...I locktited (blue) everything and made sure it was torqued down tight. Simple job...

The engine really responds to how I like to ride given the change in the timing and the flywheel weight...When I go with head porting/cams and the overbore in the future I may stay with a big bore (oversquare design) vs. the stroker option as I like the power delivery favored more to the top end vs. a low-end power delivery...

DaveI said:
Removing the flywheel is not that difficult...I borrowed a sort of generic puller with arms and a center bolt...Once I tightened that significantly to the point where I could no longer tighten it and the pull force was quite substantial on the flywheel I then just used some slight hammering force to knock the flywheel loose. .

As was said in another post, there are many was to achive the same goal. The above methiod is a great way to damage both the flywheel and crank end. Looks like it worked for Dave :thumbsup::thumbsup::confused:

The correct puller is about $40 and can be at your door in a few days.

I'll be the first to admit, I've used a screw driver to pry, a wrench to "tap" and a hammer to "push" :bonk: But I know when I do,, I except the known risk of damage to both the part and wrong tool for the wrong job :bonk:

The correct puller is about $40 and can be at your door in a few days.

This puller that you are talking about is it just a generic fly wheel puller or is it specific for the suzuki. Does someone have a picture of one of this they could post, I have heard it talked about alot on here lately and would like to see what it looks like.

This puller that you are talking about is it just a generic fly wheel puller or is it specific for the suzuki. Does someone have a picture of one of this they could post, I have heard it talked about alot on here lately and would like to see what it looks like.

92.jpg

FLYWHEEL PULLER FOR DRZ 400 - M38 X 1.5 R.H.