Sign in to follow this  

Soft chest protectors?

Anyone have any experience with soft chest protectors or vests? For my use I think somthing other than the typical plastic chest protector may work better, in that I want impact distribution rather than roost protection. I know that equestrian sports use soft wrap around vests, maybe some other type of vests from other sports may work well. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm in the hunt for something to save my ribs and gut from my handlebars when I get sideways. While roost protectors might do a fair job, I've been eyeballing equestrian protectors. Unlike most cycle gear, these have been tested to meet maximum force-transmission standards.

Here's one:

http://fourwinds.net/engcloth/tp2005.html

Here's another:

http://fourwinds.net/engcloth/tp1015.html

One of these might be the hot setup for full-torso protection...

I'm on the side of folks who see hard plastic protectors as good for roost, but not too much more than that, though obviously better than nothing. Impact energy needs to be both spread out (which hard plastic does) and absorbed, which requires squishy stuff usually absent from roost deflectors.

Can someone explain what you guys mean by "roost protection"?

When I think of roost it is the dirt kicked up by a bike in front of you.

This can't be why I wear a chest protector :crazy:

If you've ever been hit by a rock 'roosted' up by one of your buds, you'll quickly know why roost protectors are good. The other thing is being jousted off the back end of the bike by a branch you didn't see. This last one convinced me to start wearing a chest protector.

That one that ldbandit76 recommends is extremely expensive.

Has anyone looked at martial arts gear.

I have one like this for sparring that I never thought about wearing on my dirt bike. http://www.karatedepot.com/pr-ch-08.html

If you guys didn't know I broke my collar bone and 4th rib 10 days ago from a high side on my dirt bike with the stock front tire and grabbing the brakes. While I can't blame the front tire for my grabbing a hand full of brake I do think I did it because I was unconfident I could make the turn. I came out of a right turn to an immediate left and wasn't back over onto the right side of the bike and made the decision to grab brake. If I was more confident in the bike I may have tried to make the turn anyway.

Anyway I don't think this gear would have saved my collar bone but I may have not broken my rib if it was done by my arm. Who knows I hit the ground landing all 215lbs directly on my shoulder so my body had to absorb a lot.

If you've ever been hit by a rock 'roosted' up by one of your buds, you'll quickly know why roost protectors are good. The other thing is being jousted off the back end of the bike by a branch you didn't see. This last one convinced me to start wearing a chest protector.

I wear a fox chest protector, just thought they were more for impact of things like hitting the ground, your handlebars, tree limbs, more than a rock flying at you which seems to be a plus not a specific purpose of the vest??

If you've ever been hit by a rock 'roosted' up by one of your buds, you'll quickly know why roost protectors are good.

I hear that!! I was following a buddy on a gravelly access road in Glamis (we had paddles on) and he shot up a big rock that managed to miss all my pads and got me on the inside of my arm. That stung like hell!

By the way, I have a soft vest type protector that I wear under my jersey - I think it's a Thor but I've had it so long I'm not sure. I've never worn the hard style so I can't compare, but I like this one and it has helped quite a bit on several crashes.

I wear a fox chest protector, just thought they were more for impact of things like hitting the ground, your handlebars, tree limbs, more than a rock flying at you which seems to be a plus not a specific purpose of the vest??

Having a rock the size of a grapefruit thrown at 30 mph at your chest does a lot of damage, so it's actualy the main reason, the handlebars, impact comes along with it :crazy:

Those are very popular with the 25+ crowd (me included) everyone that I have met love them, there is enough roost protection with them that u really don't need the roost protector with it IMO :crazy:

Those are very popular with the 25+ crowd (me included) everyone that I have met love them, there is enough roost protection with them that u really don't need the roost protector with it IMO :crazy:

Thanks for the reply, 36+ here :-)

Ive had both, just recently starting using the soft under jersey kind though. Not the dumb looking kind with the shoulders, its the kind you can't even tell I have on under my jersey, its made by sixsixone. I personally like it ALOT better, I feel alot more comfortable with it rather than the big piece of plastic. The roost protection is good, got it from 450s plenty of times with it and didn't hurt at all, but the whole object is to be in front anyway so you don't get roosted :crazy: Also if your worried about getting hurt from bars or something, I personally believe, no matter if you wear the hard plastic kind or the soft kind, if you hit right your goin to get hurt no matter what unless you had some like serious body armor(not to sound negative but its kinda true). Anyway, whatever you get, be smart and have fun :ride:

Ive had both, just recently starting using the soft under jersey kind though. Not the dumb looking kind with the shoulders, its the kind you can't even tell I have on under my jersey, its made by sixsixone. I personally like it ALOT better, I feel alot more comfortable with it rather than the big piece of plastic. The roost protection is good, got it from 450s plenty of times with it and didn't hurt at all, but the whole object is to be in front anyway so you don't get roosted :crazy: Also if your worried about getting hurt from bars or something, I personally believe, no matter if you wear the hard plastic kind or the soft kind, if you hit right your goin to get hurt no matter what unless you had some like serious body armor(not to sound negative but its kinda true). Anyway, whatever you get, be smart and have fun :ride:

I see where u are coming from and I respect your opinion, but If I was to fall onto something sharp, back in my mini days I had a chain adjuster bolt go 2 inches into my side through my kidney belt, i believe if I had a piece of plastic in the way it would have stopped, this is one example of many sharp thigs that can pierce the skin and only my opinion, :ride: