Sign in to follow this  

Need to find oil drain plug gasket

Hey Everyone,

Trying to finally curb a slow oil leak that I have out of the engine drain plug. Where does everyone get their gasket from - is it something that I for sure need to order from the stealer or is it generic enough that you've found it somewhere cheaper?

Also, what is it about the gasket that causes it to start leaking? It doesn't look warped or anything!

Thanks

Christos

Are you talking about the copper washer ? You should find it at any hardware / auto parts store or you could heat the old one up with a blowtorch and put it in water. That will soften it and it should seal.

no, not the copper one, the thin steel one that is off of the drain bolt of the engine case as opposed to the frame drain.

no, not the copper one, the thin steel one that is off of the drain bolt of the engine case as opposed to the frame drain.

I use a copper one as well, same as DD.

It is not steel, it is an alloy of some sort, and it is a single use thing.

If you continue with the crush washer type, you need to change them every time.

Which is why I do the same as DD.

I have done this on every car or motorcycle I have owned, since they "invented" crush washers, and have never had a leak yet.

Neil. :thumbsup::thumbsup::confused:

okay great! So i should be able to bring the washer in for sizing to an auto parts store or home depot and find a replacement copper washer

-it would be thicker I imagine? its just a copper ring?

okay great! -it would be thicker I imagine? its just a copper ring?

Yes a little thicker, about the same size as an uncrushed standard washer.

recommended to replace every 2nd oil change...

Alright i got a couple copper washers from Canadian Tire. They are a little thicker and a hair bigger so I didn't have to screw it in to get it up the threads like the original. I have it torqued in and have powdered it to see if it will do the job.

If that dosent work for you, go to Honda (car or bike) and buy the soft alum washers. They are nice and soft and should seal aything. Frankly I have never changed a Suzuki drain plug seal washer (They are a crush type steel like a spark plug). Some I have reused 50 times.

I ordered a few extras so I could do the recommended replacement. They only cost a few cents from any OEM source. But I always forget to change them out and so far no problems.

gots damn the thing still leaks :thumbsup:

will have to go for a rip and warm the oil up to see how bad.

I change mine every time.

But they are re-usable, just anneal them after use, and they are ready to go again.

Fixed this btw, copper washer worked like a charm (changed both drain plug washers filter drain hole/compression tester?)

Thanks guys!