license in NJ

Do you need motorcycle license to ride a registed bike (wr250F) on local roads? If so can you get one at 17?

I dont know about the liscene but I do know you need, DOT approved tires, blinkers and I think a mirror and the bike has to be registered for road use.

Yes you need a motorcycle licence. I think you can get one at 17 unless they changed the laws.

I dont know about the liscene but I do know you need, DOT approved tires, blinkers and I think a mirror and the bike has to be registered for road use.

thanks for the fast post,

My dad knows someone at the DMV so we shouldnt have much of a problem. :thumbsup:

I have gotten away with the bare minimum for years.

Most cops don't know to much about dirtbikes and if you are polite they don't usually give you a hard time. Harley riders blast around at 8000 decibels and you never see them pulled over.

I ride my WR all over the place and have never gotten a ticket. My bike is quiet and I ride conservatively on the street. The whole idea is to not attract attention.

Off-topic, but hey SteveMan! I remember you from the MaxxTraxx messageboards. How have you been? :thumbsup:

Hey Mxboy, I just cant wait to ride. I plan on hitting Paragon and Chats soon.

That sucks, that I need a motorcycle license just to ride 5 miles on the road. I could register my bike really easy but its going to be a pain getting a license.

beezer - what do you mean by "bare minimum"

It's not much of a pain really other than in taking time to get the license and take the test.

You have to take the written test first and then do a road test. There are rental places that will meet you at the testing facility and you use their "totally legal" automatic scooter to test. That's what my husband did.... tests available certain months of the year (I believe just not thru the winter months) and a short waiting period before you can do the road test. Also, the motorcycle test is not available at every DMV location. If I can find the web site that has the info I'll post it for you.

:thumbsup:

"There are rental places that will meet you at the testing facility and you use their "totally legal" automatic scooter to test."

That helps alot thanks.

Facility Locations and Hours can be found Right Here. Click on the County where you will take the test and look for the facility closest to you that gives the Road Test.

Facility Locations and Hours can be found Right Here. Click on the County where you will take the test and look for the facility closest to you that gives the Road Test.

That's the one! Thank you sir!! :thumbsup:

if your gonna ride on the road take the msf class

I have a headlight, tail light, brake light a license plate.

Insurance and registration and an inspection sticker.

I do the speed limit and my bike is quiet.

Im still not sure how you register your bikes, I was under the impression that anything but a husky is not street legal. Do I have to register the bike under a rebuild? I have the MSO but it has the vin on it and from what I understand they will pick your bike out immediately and wont allow the registration. My frame is powdercoated so I have no vin on the bike. Also can you get your bike inspected at a gas station that does inspections or does it have to be inspected at a state facility? Any help is appretiated.

You can get your bike inspected at a private business (gas station, auto repair, etc) that is approved by the State to do motorcycle inspections. They are far and few between...good luck...

NJ laws don't require blinkers. You need a horn, mirror, headlight, taillight/brakelight, & DOT approved tires.