R gas tank on a X

Has anyone tried putting a R tank on a X? Can I use my X mounts?

You'll have to use the X mounts. I had an X tank on my 04 but had to use the R bracket.

^^^Yeah

But there is really no point in Putting the R tank on the X

The only point is I can get an R tank cheap and my X tank is toast. Besides, What's the volume difference? I think it's .2 gallons. Thats maybe 10-15 miles. Big deal!

I'm not positive.. but I think the X tank is quite a bit bigger than the R... remember to add the .6 gallon reserve as well...

Can anyone verify the tank sizes. I know the R is 2 gallons.

The one bonus too a R tank is its alot slimmer. I notice a huge difference in how wide it is while riding.....

Do the stock X rad guards fit with the R tank? I'd definitely like to put a slimmer tank on my X, and I don't really need the extra fuel.

Do the stock X rad guards fit with the R tank? I'd definitely like to put a slimmer tank on my X, and I don't really need the extra fuel.

Yes...

Don't you have to swap the seat as well?????

Don't you have to swap the seat as well?????

Nope.

Well guys I got my R tank today and it mounted up perfectly with the X bracket from my stock tank. I also used my X petcock, because the R had no reserve. I measured the volume difference before I mounted the new tank and it was about .485 gallons smaller. I figure I will get between 80-90 miles a tank intstead of 110. I've posted some pics of the tanks side by side so you can see the difference. The X has a little more volume at the filler neck and the two small wings on the sides that the R dosn't. Other than that, they look identical:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/moondog2001/crf250002.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/moondog2001/crf250001.jpg

Thanks for all the help and info! :thumbsup:

80-90 miles out of 2 gallons? You're kidding, right?

I've been getting between 40-45 mpg ever since I bought the bike in 04'. I figure, 2400 miles on the odo is enough to find average fuel economy. What's everyone else getting?

I've been getting between 40-45 mpg ever since I bought the bike in 04'. I figure, 2400 miles on the odo is enough to find average fuel economy. What's everyone else getting?

Nothing near that. :thumbsup: I haven't run it to reserve in a while, but I'd guess I get 50-60 miles out of an X tank. Probably less if I'm really running hard. I know my bike got much better mileage when it was bone stock, but that only lasted maybe 10 hours before I started modding.

I noticed on the Ramz site, that he is also getting in the mid 40s mpg. We are both in Colorado at high elevations. I ride over 8000 feet most of the time. Even though my X is heavily modded, my main jet is only a 155. Could this be the reason for such good gas millage? I also just installed a 270 kit and havn't ridden it except for the initial break-in. Should I expect a lot lower mpg?

I can get around 25-28 mpg, but my bike is an R.

Got any pics of it mounted up? Will the X shrouds work with the R tank?

I was thinking that the seat had to be modified as well...

I have pics posted in the total mods and photo thread at the top of the 250x page, last post. The X shrouds and seat work fine.