park rangers giving out of park tickets

BUT only for breaking state laws not city (municipal codes, etc)

so you are not going to get a parking ticket.

Not true Y426.

It really means anywhere, anytime. Check out the 830 sections of the Penal Code and start crying.

One reason they are not keen on writting a ticket out of their jurisdiction is if you plead not guilty, they will have to appear in court in the jurisdiction they wrote the ticket in. They usually won't want to do that.

But as a "Sworn Peace Officer", their jurisdiction is the entire state. You can also be arrested if the officer is out of uniform, and off duty.

Correction with respect radioman, they dont have to appear in court for the tickets they write, only if they choose to and it usually is classified as overtime for them so the overtime hogs (ha ha ha) will always be there and the others don't have to go if they dont want to or unless there is some situation that the judge requests them there in the first place. They usually assign the cops that like overtime to ticket writing so that they are at court though..........

Not true Y426.

It really means anywhere, anytime. Check out the 830 sections of the Penal Code and start crying.

you're wrong, but whatever.

830 covers state law (CA PENAL CODE). I am talking about municipal codes (yard too long, special parking codes, etc)

Correction with respect radioman, they dont have to appear in court for the tickets they write, only if they choose to and it usually is classified as overtime for them so the overtime hogs (ha ha ha) will always be there and the others don't have to go if they dont want to or unless there is some situation that the judge requests them there in the first place. They usually assign the cops that like overtime to ticket writing so that they are at court though..........

If you get a ticket and you plead "not guilty" and the cop doesn't show up to court, you automatically win. So you are right they don't have to go, but the ticket will get thrown out.

you're wrong, but whatever.

830 covers state law (CA PENAL CODE). I am talking about municipal codes (yard too long, special parking codes, etc)

READ IT and weep- it defines Peace Office Powers in the State; who, where. Do your homework son. ?

Well this is an interesting thread.

I just got done with a 50 hour police training course...same as the official police training only shorter - fun stuff.

There are checks and balances with the system.

1 - they have a ticket book and can use it anywhere but usually the department they work for discourages it because the revenue the ticket generates goes to the jurisdiction where the ticket is written. And since every ticket and court appearance takes time that is negative cash flow to that department.

2 - they have to go to court when a person pleads innocent they need to show up (usually). YES they get overtime but every officer I have ever talked to would rather not waste an entire day off just for an hour of overtime. Especially if they live an hour or 2 away from where the ticket is written.

3 - At least in my city they take complaints about officers very seriously. If you call and talk to the Sargent on duty they will log your concerns and look into the situation.

Well this is an interesting thread.

I just got done with a 50 hour police training course...same as the official police training only shorter - fun stuff.

There are checks and balances with the system.

1 - they have a ticket book and can use it anywhere but usually the department they work for discourages it because the revenue the ticket generates goes to the jurisdiction where the ticket is written. And since every ticket and court appearance takes time that is negative cash flow to that department.

2 - they have to go to court when a person pleads innocent they need to show up (usually). YES they get overtime but every officer I have ever talked to would rather not waste an entire day off just for an hour of overtime. Especially if they live an hour or 2 away from where the ticket is written.

3 - At least in my city they take complaints about officers very seriously. If you call and talk to the Sargent on duty they will log your concerns and look into the situation.

A 50 hr training course?!?! Gee...and to think I must have wasted a full 1,000 +hrs in the academy for nothing. Where do you take the cliff notes version? And btw, overtime on a day off is minimum 4hrs...go into court, dismiss your case in 15 min, and get paid 4 hrs of overtime. Not bad. And that goes for any employer who calls employees in, state wide. Mandatory 4hrs per labor law.

Most cops wont write tickets out of their county just for the simple fact that:

1.) You're probably off duty, and who wants to work when their not getting paid?

2.) You're so tired of dealing with the public at the end of your week, why would you want to subject yourself to more drama from John Q?

3.) Taking 15 min to write a ticket is 15 min I could've been riding!! ?

we get 2 hrs on a work day and 3 if its your day off, by contract, Fresno always has a better way to do things, just ask the powers that be here and they will tell you....Im a peace officer 24/7, any where in the state, for any law, but Im not doing it unless Im gettin paid or its a real bad situation. Been a cop for 24yrs now, I think Ive got it right, can retire with pay in 7 mos....................