Sign in to follow this  

Whats a spark arrestor ticket cost?

Or lack of a spark arrestor. Specifically on national forest land. Anyone hear of anyone getting one?

I'm not sure of the cost. Is there any reason not to run one ?

Dont want to get into that discussion.

I have heard it could be a few hundred dollars. I have also heard if you are caught without one and started a fire you can be responsible for the cost of fighting the fire. This can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions. All I can say is, those that play with fire might get burned.

Just get a spark arrestor, enough said.

At a forested OHV area like Gorman they are very expensive. A ranger busted a guy next to us as he was unloading his YZF. The ranger was very informed about which bike do and don't have SA's. The verdict - $700-800. Ouch!

Whatever the cost of the ticket, its not enough. This is very risky business.

The rangers are Gorman are really knowledgeable. The know bikes really well and they seem to focus on those bikes that they know are pure mx bikes and would not have a spark arrestor.

Or lack of a spark arrestor. Specifically on national forest land. Anyone hear of anyone getting one?

AAAAA LATTE :thumbsup:

they told me 650 a couple months ago. i went and bought one that day. 130 bucks for a pro moto billet endcap, kind of a lot of money to put a screen across a hole but less than a quarter the price of a ticket. oh well, i would deffinately invest in one if you are riding national forest land, technically youre supposed to have one in the desert,b ut i wouldnt worry about getting busted out there, but in gorman or texas canyon the odds are not in youre favor.

Dont want to get into that discussion.

Why wouldn't you want to discuss why you don't won't to run a spark arrestor?

In the AMA Magazine about a year ago,there was a clip about an 18yr old that was busted for starting a forest fire,in Oregon,with a bike that had no spark arrestor.He was also handed the bill, whether by law suit or other,for fighting that fire,which exceeded 10 million dollars,due to a law requiring the government to recoup losses.

Why wouldn't you want to discuss why you don't won't to run a spark arrestor?

I'll bet he's seen enough of the cluster****s around here to try and keep the thread on point.

which is not going to happen

Spark Arrestors are bogus. You'd have a much better chance starting a fire with a hot header riding through grass, or crashing header down in grass, than a spark flying out of your pipe (which never happens). If you have sparks flying out of your pipe, you have more trouble than you think. Sparks are embers and something is burning that shouldn't be.

My son drove his KLX110 into a a dead Joshua tree at Johnson Valley and got his bike stuck with him on it. It was pretty funny until the heat of the engine caught it on fire ! We got him and the bike off and put out the fire quickly. that said I have spark arrestors on all my bikes. All we need is another reason for the tree huggers to shut down more areas.

Spark Arrestors are bogus. QUOTE]

Really... so I guess you are smarter than a LOT of people.

Spark Arrestors have a purpose

Sorry, no, they dont have a purpose..... California has laws with agendas, they use every reason they can to limit the number of dirtbikes on "their" land.

Think about this. I can ride legally all day long in Reno, 5 miles from the California border in basically a tenderbox of sage and low lying brush. But as soon as I go into California its a required item?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spark Arrestors are bogus. You'd have a much better chance starting a fire with a hot header riding through grass, or crashing header down in grass, than a spark flying out of your pipe (which never happens). If you have sparks flying out of your pipe, you have more trouble than you think. Sparks are embers and something is burning that shouldn't be.

I take it you have NEVER followed a four-stroke being ridden hard at dusk without a spark arrestor and seen the carbon deposits being blown out the exhaust have you? Well I have and it DOES happen so believe me, spark arrestors have a purpose. They don't interfere with the performance of your bike enough for you to tell so why not run one like your supposed to?

And like Kevin said, you're supposed to have one on your bike in the desert as well. Just my 0.02 worth and you will do what you want to do anyway.

Sorry, no, they dont have a purpose..... California has laws with agendas, they use every reason they can to limit the number of dirtbikes on "their" land.

Think about this. I can ride legally all day long in Reno, 5 miles from the California border in basically a tenderbox of sage and low lying brush. But as soon as I go into California its a required item?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spark arrestors are required in all BLM and Forest Service lands. This is for all of the west, and I'm pretty sure the entire nation. This is federal law not California law. At the state operated riding areas, it is California law, but in this case it is the same as the federal regulations.

So you are not riding legally, 5 miles form the border. You are riding illegally, there is just no enforcement.

Here is an excerpt from the Carson City BLM office about Sand Mountain. On most of the area, I don't think you could start a fire if you tried!

http://www.nv.blm.gov/carson/Recreation/Rec_SandMtn.htm

* Spark arresters are required on all OHV's. The use of spark arresters will greatly reduce the chance of fire. Plant life is sparse in the desert and wildlife depends on it to survive.