Sign in to follow this  

upset with the yzf250

i bought a 04 yzf250 a couple of months ago and already i spent more repairing things than i paid for repairs on my old ttr 125 wich i had for 2 years. Fork seals, valve clearance, decomp plug shot out, and a few others but besides that i love the bike but my mom says if she has to pay for 1 more repair in the next month shes sellin the bike. i thought the yzf was a relaible bike.... :thumbsup:

My dear friend, I believe what you are experiencing is most likely normal maitnence that simply just needs to be done every once in a while. The YZF is very reliable, but it does require you to take care of it, otherwise it just won't be happy. :thumbsup:

My dear friend, I believe what you are experiencing is most likely normal maitnence that simply just needs to be done every once in a while. The YZF is very reliable, but it does require you to take care of it, otherwise it just won't be happy. :thumbsup:

Get a manual. You can do fork seals and Valve Clearances ya self

I don't know, it will depend on how well you take care of your stuff. And maybe checking stuff over before you ride. I mean I have a 01' that I have been riding hard for the past 5 months, and no problems what so ever. But just because I am putting a new top end in, both hot cams, and an exhaust system. :thumbsup:

i bought a 04 yzf250 a couple of months ago and already i spent more repairing things than i paid for repairs on my old ttr 125 wich i had for 2 years. Fork seals, valve clearance, decomp plug shot out, and a few others but besides that i love the bike but my mom says if she has to pay for 1 more repair in the next month shes sellin the bike. i thought the yzf was a relaible bike.... :thumbsup:

YZF's are race bikes, TTR's are play bikes. Race bikes need a bit more care than a play bike. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to change your oil.

Just like everyone else said, you should be able to do all those things yourself. If you dont have a manual download one from Thumperfaq.com. Pretty much every single thing is easy to do except for splitting the cases and working down under in the crankcase. Besides for those things, and major suspension mods, you should be able to handle the little things. If not, you will be killed by the labor charges.

Welcome to the new world of four stroke race bikes.

Four strokes used to mean low end grunt and damn near rock-solid reliability, while two strokes needed to be worked on a lot.

Now days, riding a four strokes means riding around on a $3000 grenade and hoping it doesn't go off.

who ever said owning a dirtbike is a cheap investment. You could lower the cost of maintainng it by just maintaining it. look it over, create a check list in your mind as to what to look for every time you saddle up. if you do this the only cost you may have is changing the oil. good luck :thumbsup:

Since you just got the bike...maybe those were all things that were wrong with it and made it a sweet deal????

Once you get all the initial maintenacne stuff done you should be good to go.

If you think the YZf is unreliable...sell it and go get a CRF or an 04 KXF/RMZ then you will learn what unreliable is.

It sounds to me like you got hosed on the bike. Thats what people do, they ride the crap out of a bike for a couple of years and then when the consumables start wearing out like brakes, sprockets, bearings, valve specs, fork seals, and such they sell or trade in the bike and get a new one. They always advertise these bikes as low hours. I'm sure the bike was very reliable for the previous owner as he didn't spend a dime on it except for probably tires and accessories. You have to look these things over real close when buy a used dirt bike. It sounds like you had to learn the hard way, but look at the bright side, this gives you the chance to learn how to work on it. Now go go save yourself some money and start tearing into it yourself. Thats the only way to learn. You probably need to lube the steering and swingarm as well since its probably never been done. All this is intimidating at first but once you do it a couple of times you will see just how simple it really is.

Welcome to the new world of four stroke race bikes.

Four strokes used to mean low end grunt and damn near rock-solid reliability, while two strokes needed to be worked on a lot.

Now days, riding a four strokes means riding around on a $3000 grenade and hoping it doesn't go off.

Word!!!!! :thumbsup:

Ive been racing my 03 250f (motocross and desert) for three years and my only big problem was blowing out fork seals all the time. I'd reccomend getting some seal savers, they keep dust and crap out of your seals, and I dont know what they are called but I bought a spacer that goes between the wheel and the fender. You can get your bike tied down nice and tight without compressing the forks too far. I bought mine at rockymountainatv.com, look in trailer accessories, then security. That should make your seals last a lot longer. Also change your oil frequently, I change mine every 2nd or 3rd ride. The bike I had before my 250f was an xr400 and that thing would run forever with no maintenance and no problems. racebikes take mor care. Much cheaper, easier, and fun to keep it maintained than to repair it all the time.