ATV rider shot by park ranger in NJ ???

Unless I totally have S%@T in my ears that is what I heard on wcbs news radio 880 tonight. anyone else here about this? happend last weekend. What could someone possibly do to get shot at. That is just insane. I thought CT. was bad.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW............that guy lives about an hour from me. I hope he heals up and is OK. It is hard to figure out what happened from the article but I know that the Palisades cop have attitudes and treat you like your a criminal when they talk to you.

I think it was a combination of jackson whites, booze and over zealous park police.

Some of the park police are 5 foot tall girls with attitudes. They obviously lost control of the situation and the local Mawah cops weren't informed these bozos were going to make arrests that day.

I'm Effing outraged, I cant tell you how many people must think I have turret's syndrome after trying to respond to this post

Guys here is your chance to make a difference. Write your state official (or better yet petition) and demand the DEP officer responsible for the shooting be immediately terminated without severance, pension, or benefits. As for the other 2 DEP officers a very long extremely unpaid suspension should suffice and Both the DEP and Lt. Kelly Gottheiner should have to issue a public apology for instigating the "aggravated assault".

2 shots to the chest and one to the groin??? They popped 2 center mass and tried shooting the guy in the junk. I'm no New Jersey DEP authority but the use of deadly force in this situation isn't only unnecessary shooting the groin area is just plain mutilation. Not to mention risking severing the femoral artery (one of the quickest ways to bleed out.) Not like emptying 2 slugs to the chest is the best example of "non-lethal force"to begin with.

""The prosecutor, John Molinelli, did not respond to phone calls for comment.

Our office is not releasing the name of the park police officer involved in the shooting," his statement said. "No further details will be forthcoming at this time."

The state Department of Environmental Protection, which oversees officers in state parks, referred all questions to the prosecutor. A DEP spokeswoman, Elaine Makatura, confirmed that rangers "are armed and have police powers."

This is enough evidence to prove these guys have too much authority and are abusing it. With a little media coverage, a good lawyer, and some wishful thinking I can imagine a DEP stripped to non-lethal weapons only. In a law enforcement perspective use of a taser would not only have been the most effective means or subduing the subject but also the least likely way to involve the ACLU. (duh they are Native Americans who really should need who's permission here?)

Here is a hint guys: Spray painting the area dayglo Orange isn't really an environmentally responsible act.

Here is a reasonable question: What they hell does an DEP officer need the use of deadly force for in the first place?

Poachers? I thought that fell under the description of Game Warden...

and the icing on the cake for me is that these poor Natives have health issues attributed to them form toxic paint sludge from Form Ford MoCo buried in the land...

It just goes to show you N.J. sux...... I think the whole program need a re-thought .. "two shot's in the chest, and one in the groin" ...sound's like an aggrivated warning shot to me...It's a shame that our tax dollar's pay for this kind of treatment.

The situation was probably pretty tense to have weapons drawn like this, it's terriable that this occurred but for guns to be drawn and fired, the rider must have been doing something extremely wrong. Obviously though, it seems overly excessive force was used and it needs to be looked into 100%. This goes to show you that although we as riders are treated pretty badly in the New England states (I experience this a lot as a CT citizen), you really should not try running or doing something stupid when seen by law enforcement. I stay neutral in this situation but an investigation of the officers must be done indeed!

Well the DEP reported that he was shot in the leg twice and in stable condition. Locals tell me he is still in intensive care.

The DEP also reported to the press that they called the local police after the shooting. Mawah Police chief says they are full of it.

The Park Police it turns out do not have jurisdiction in that neck of the woods in the first place!! It seems they had some issues with the Indians that live in Ringwood which is their patrol area.

Lastly, the guy who got shot was not riding an ATV at all.

Local press is spining this into an anti OHV issue with the help of there anti-OHV friends.

Does anyone have an address for the State Park Police or the DEp Commissioner?

mailto:commissioner@dep.state.nj.us

give them hell everyone

Mine is on the way.

Remember, a poorly written letter will do more harm than good.

Be polite, but make sure they know our constituency is largely un-served by the DEP and we are taking notice.

Open season on ATV riders is not going to be a service to the State of NJ.

Rather they should keep their promises with repect to the OHV areas that were supposed to be provided 2 years ago would be a much more responsible approach.

Here is mine:

Dear Commissioner Jackson,

I have read the recent press reports regarding the shooting of a Ramapo Indian in Mahwah. I understand there are some important issues involved regarding the jurisdiction of the Park Police involved in the shooting as well as the DEP’s apparent lack of co-operation with local law enforcement whom have had a relationship with the Ramapo Indians for many years. Frankly we are concerned that the press releases issued by the DEP are running contrary to the testimony of witnesses and comments by the Mahwah Chief of Police. We expect our DEP officials to be forthcoming with accurate information on a prompt basis. We especially want to know why the Park Police decided to leave Ringwood to drive with their equipment to Mahwah into the Indian community to conduct patrols. If the Park Police suspected that some violations were occurring in Mahwah they could have certainly informed the local police as to their suspicions rather than take matters into their own hands with such terrible results. These events cast a suspicion over the DEP and its officials. Meanwhile the whole episode is being cast as an ATV issue in the press. We await your clarification of these points in due course.

Frankly “open season” on ATV riders and Native Americans is not going to be the solution to the land use issues facing NJ. I suspect much of the pressure would be relieved if the State would commission the OHV areas that were promised years ago.

Clearly the standard “we cannot find a suitable area” response, is neither adequate nor fair to the hundreds of thousands of OHV enthusiasts in the state. Certainly if the State can find limitless amounts of space to pave over to build shopping malls and housing tracts it can certainly find a suitable space for families enjoy OHV activities in a safe and proper environment. The taxpayers of NJ deserve at least that, especially juxtaposed to PA that has literally hundreds of miles in its ATV system.

We thank you for your service to the State of NJ.

Mine is on the way.

Remember, a poorly written letter will do more harm than good.

Be polite, but make sure they know our constituency is largely un-served by the DEP and we are taking notice.

Open season on ATV riders is not going to be a service to the State of NJ.

Rather they should keep their promises with repect to the OHV areas that were supposed to be provided 2 years ago would be a much more responsible approach.

CT DEP promised us trails 20 years ago. You guys are in the same boat as we are. We need to Band together and present a unified and intelligent effort. States play follow the leader all this time, and if pressure is placed on states from a multi state group we stand a better chance.

Do you want to wait 20 years for nothing? I won't.

Am I missing something? The ATV rider wasn't the one that got shot, according to that article.

Correct, the guy shot was not on an ATV. Apparently he was shot over a dispute over the Indians right to ride and have cookouts in Mahwah. The Mahwah police had allowed them to ride and cookout for years. The Park Police came "off the reservation" so to speak to interfere in an area that is not part of the park.

Kinda like "ATV bounty hunters" on the loose.

CT DEP promised us trails 20 years ago. You guys are in the same boat as we are. We need to Band together and present a unified and intelligent effort. States play follow the leader all this time, and if pressure is placed on states from a multi state group we stand a better chance.

Do you want to wait 20 years for nothing? I won't.

I'm all for a unified front....what do you suggest?

I belong to AMA, ECEA Blue Ribbon, Jorva what else is there? Netra?

I'm open to suggestions. I just wanna ride with my kids w/o worrying they might be shot.