Sign in to follow this  

ATV rider shot by park ranger in NJ ???

here is the sad update from the NJ Star Ledger

Man shot by State Park Police officer dies

Emil Mann, the Ramapough Lenape Indian Nation member shot and critically wounded during an altercation with a State Park Police officer in Mahwah earlier this month, had died, authorities said today.

Mann, 44, was pronounced dead at 12:15 p.m. today at Hackensack University Medical Center, Bergen County First Assistant Prosecutor William J. Galda said. An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow.

Ramapough Tribal Chief Anthony Van Dunk said he plans to meet with the representatives from the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office this evening. He declined immediate comment on Mann’s death.

Mann was shot in the chest and leg during an altercation with State Park Police officer Chad Walder on April 1.

Authorities have said four park officers were patrolling the area and had stopped Mann’s cousin, Otis Mann, for riding an all terrain vehicle, when a confrontation ensued. As Otis Mann tussled with two of the officers, Walder ran toward them to intercede, but encountered Emil Mann, authorities said.

Members of the Ramapough tribe have said the shooting was unjustified and have questioned Walder's motives. A lawyer for Walder claims the officer fired at Emil Mann in self defense.

Local and county authorities have criticized the park officers for improperly going out of their jurisdiction and for failing to notify local police that they were in the area.

The state Attorney General’s Office is investigating the actions of Walder and three fellow officers. The Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office is conducting its own criminal investigation.

Contributed by Ana M. Alaya

The only people who know what really happened are the one's who were there. The media only gives their version of the truth. In my opinion if the guy did try to run one of the cops over with a 7 or 800# atv he deserved to get shot.

The only people who know what really happened are the one's who were there. The media only gives their version of the truth. In my opinion if the guy did try to run one of the cops over with a 7 or 800# atv he deserved to get shot.

Where the :thumbsup: is that even said? Did you just make up your own story cause you chose not to believe the one you read?

And since when has the media been on the side of off roaders?!?!

Dude, the guy that was killed was not even riding an ATV. The cop who shot him did not even have a scratch on him...but dollars to doghnuts he'll say he was going after his weapon if he didn't rub the guys prints on it after the fact.

All the witnesses in the world can't help the dead man.. If there was no video camera at the scene, Rodney King'd still be driving a Hyundai!

There was no ATV involved. It was personal. The cops are sick of the crap that goes on up there. Maybe one day one of you will meet up with one of those low lifes up there and see why the scum was shot. Those so-called "indians" up there are nothing more than Gypsies who think they can do anything they want in the woods. Yes the parkie was out of his jurisdiction but believe me, he didn't fire twice for the Hell of it. Those scumbags will steal your shit if you look the other way for a second. I ran into them once up there while riding with a friend who knows all about what they're up to. They were waving me to come over to them.

All I remember him yelling was "DON'T STOP! LET'S GO!!!"

Mixed emotions here between the happiness of one scumbag dead, and the bad media circling around off roaders AGAIN for no reason.

There was no ATV involved. It was personal. The cops are sick of the crap that goes on up there. Maybe one day one of you will meet up with one of those low lifes up there and see why the scum was shot. Those so-called "indians" up there are nothing more than Gypsies who think they can do anything they want in the woods. Yes the parkie was out of his jurisdiction but believe me, he didn't fire twice for the Hell of it. Those scumbags will steal your shit if you look the other way for a second. I ran into them once up there while riding with a friend who knows all about what they're up to. They were waving me to come over to them.

All I remember him yelling was "DON'T STOP! LET'S GO!!!"

Mixed emotions here between the happiness of one scumbag dead, and the bad media circling around off roaders AGAIN for no reason.

Did that "scumbag" actually "steal your shit" or are you just repeating your friends secondhand nonsense?

Can't say I share your opinion at all. In fact I've known them for years and can tell you my experience is totaly different. I leave my trailer and stuff in their front yards to camp with my kids in the woods behind their homes. Was with my 11 yr old son when I met them 2 yrs ago when we ran into one of their cookouts on atv's. We did stop and they offered us burgers and drinks and we've been friendly ever since. When my bike broke down they helped me fix it. Before we meet them I'd been up there for 5 yrs previous and NEVER had any problem whatsoever with the locals...Never. And I don't look nor talk like them. I'm a total "flatlander" office worker from NYC typing this post in a suit in Manhattan.

Are they different than we? Yes. A little more earthy? Yes. So what?

Don't treat them like "scumbags" and they might even like you.

Basicially they don't want their mountain gentrified like the rest of the PR of NJ. So they want to ride. I don't blame them one bit.

Yes, I've even heard the rumors....its like "Deliverance" up there. LOL. Maybe the rumors are spread to keep hostile peope like yourself away. I would not want you in my neighborhood if you spread disparaging crap about me either.

to me it seems like an inbred tart with an anger management problem grabbed a baton and then had some chunks blown out of him, to me the shot in the groin was best because it eliminates all the chances he has to reproduce.

eliminate all those hillbillie f#@$s with every known genetic disorder, oh wait its an indian nation?

Did that "scumbag" actually "steal your shit" or are you just repeating your friends secondhand nonsense?

Can't say I share your opinion at all. In fact I've known them for years and can tell you my experience is totaly different. I leave my trailer and stuff in their front yards to camp with my kids in the woods behind their homes. Was with my 11 yr old son when I met them 2 yrs ago when we ran into one of their cookouts on atv's. We did stop and they offered us burgers and drinks and we've been friendly ever since. When my bike broke down they helped me fix it. Before we meet them I'd been up there for 5 yrs previous and NEVER had any problem whatsoever with the locals...Never. And I don't look nor talk like them. I'm a total "flatlander" office worker from NYC typing this post in a suit in Manhattan.

Are they different than we? Yes. A little more earthy? Yes. So what?

Don't treat them like "scumbags" and they might even like you.

Basicially they don't want their mountain gentrified like the rest of the PR of NJ. So they want to ride. I don't blame them one bit.

Yes, I've even heard the rumors....its like "Deliverance" up there. LOL. Maybe the rumors are spread to keep hostile peope like yourself away. I would not want you in my neighborhood if you spread disparaging crap about me either.

You're intitled to what you're seen heard and lived.........and so am I. Let's leave it at that. Ya know, I forgot for a minute that you and your kid are the ONLY ones who could've possibly seen anything up in those woods because you know those wonderful people. I guess that's because you think you and your kid are the ONLY ones who ever ride up there. And watch who you call hostile on these boards.

You never know who you're talking to.

I grew up hiking, fishing, and even riding in those mountains. I ran into those folks a few times and never had a problem whatsoever. We would always try to remain guarded due to the stories, but they were there for the same reasons we were.

The bigger picture here is that someone was shot and killed by park rangers. Unless I'm mistaken we all logon to this BB for shared interests. And you're kidding yourself if you think that couldn't happen to you too.

Show a little class and maybe some respect, someone was killed. I can't believe some of the stuff people have been writing.

You are 100% correct.

I'll withhold judgement until I know the facts. We might not ever find out what really happened there.

I wonder what the guy did to deserve to get shot to death.

I have a clear vision of what did not happen. If you read the article most all of the "quotes" are from unnamed community members. If you think that police officer's premeditated to shoot an illegal ATV rider your high.

I am quite sure that the officer's involved were in fear of loosing their lives.

You are forgetting the little tidbit where the "victim" borrowed the officer's club and was attempting to kill the other officers.

Now they only have to go through a few years of investigation, allegations and law suits. They are now looking at prison, the poor house and loosing their careers. They will forever be famous and having to tell their children not to believe the other children, they did what they had to.

However they did get to shoot a four wheeler, something all park rangers lye awake dreaming of; right?

Look I know there are a lot of police out there who are to short, or bullied as a kid. But no one really wants to shoot someone else, of this I am sure.

OT

Where the :thumbsup: is that even said? Did you just make up your own story cause you chose not to believe the one you read?

And since when has the media been on the side of off roaders?!?!

All I am saying is the media puts their own twist on everything depending on how they want something to be perceived. If you cant see that you must be blind

All I am saying is the media puts their own twist on everything depending on how they want something to be perceived. If you cant see that you must be blind

and you're so insightful you can make up your own story since you don't like theirs. I know all about the media but you added your own "facts" that didn't exist in any report.

and you're so insightful you can make up your own story since you don't like theirs. I know all about the media but you added your own "facts" that didn't exist in any report.

I was refering to an earlier post in this thread that said he heard the atv riders tried to run the cops over. Thats why i said that the only people that know what happened were the ones who where there.

Overall I just find it very suspicious that these officers decided beforehand to leave their jurisdiction to patrol in Mahwah w/o informing the Mahwah police.

Why? They must have really been motivated to get ATV'ers

You're intitled to what you're seen heard and lived.........and so am I. Let's leave it at that. Ya know, I forgot for a minute that you and your kid are the ONLY ones who could've possibly seen anything up in those woods because you know those wonderful people. I guess that's because you think you and your kid are the ONLY ones who ever ride up there. And watch who you call hostile on these boards.

You never know who you're talking to.

Okay, I promise never to call anyone a "scumbag"

Ride on Brother!

Look I know there are a lot of police out there who are to short, or bullied as a kid. But no one really wants to shoot someone else, of this I am sure.

OT

What world do you live in?

Did the officer slap a 14 year old girl? What's that all about? It would certainly provoke any father. Sounds like those officers went up there for personal reasons doesn't it? Who authorized this if anyone?