backfire screen

is it really a backfire screen? after my airfilter popped off and i had a screw in my airbox waiting to be inhaled, i think the screen should stay put. problem is, i destroyed mine when i was anxiously pulling it out. i was and am counting my blessings that it wasn't inhaled earlier today or as long the filter has been off.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah mine came loose after i took my filter out...so i said ef this and ripped it out...idk, i dont think it should be TOO big of a problem but who knows...i dont think its as much of a backfire screen, as its a screen to provent particles of the airfilter from going through the carb/ engine...please someone correct me if i'm wrong

Most folks get rid of that screen as part of the asthma curing process. Taking it out might make it a little lean as it adds restriction, but IMO it should go away with the rest of the stock stuff. With a good filter there should not be anything there

Removing the screen has the biggest effect when a performance pipe is installed and the big 170 jet is installed in the carb. With that done mine didn't run quite right. I called Jessie at kientech and he said to pull the screen out,that it wasn't allowing the bike to breath to the capacity that it needed to with the re-jet and new pipe. It was causing sort of a bottleneck for the incoming air or was like one of those NASCAR restrictor plates limiting the airflow. With the screen out all was right with the bike.

I really don't think that it would do much but cause an already lean condition to be worse on an otherwise stock bike.

Its a mod thats done as a package, ie; cut the box, K&N, Dynajet kit, new pipe, ...and remove the screen. With this done its a totally different bike. Much more powerful. ?

Mike.