lifted trucks

hey, how many of you guys have lifted trucks? how big? what are they riding on? what kind of truck? how much money it put you down?

im lookin at liftin my chevy... 6 inches and puttin 35's under it...just seeing waht everyone else has

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Save your money for bike stuff. Unless you're REALLY gonna wheel it, not just splash around some mud puddles on dirt roads, don't bother--and even then, get a decent trail rig (read: short wheel base) because a fullsize pickup won't go on most of the 4wd trails in WA. Won't fit.

So, if it's just for looks, it's kind of a waste of money. Plus it makes your bike harder to load.

nobody i know that is seriously into offroading does it with a full size pick up. all jeeps. any form really.. whether its a cherokee of wrangler thats the only thing ive really seen wheeled. sure a full size pickup runnin 40s can be good in a 3 foot deep mudhole.. but can it make it through the trails behind my house..nope

Save your money for bike stuff. Unless you're REALLY gonna wheel it, not just splash around some mud puddles on dirt roads, don't bother--and even then, get a decent trail rig (read: short wheel base) because a fullsize pickup won't go on most of the 4wd trails in WA. Won't fit.

So, if it's just for looks, it's kind of a waste of money. Plus it makes your bike harder to load.

Whats the length have to do with anything? You should be worried about the width of your vehicle.

Whats the length have to do with anything? You should be worried about the width of your vehicle.

The length is important because of torsional flex of the frame (Twisting). Short wheel base is ideal for "real" off road driving. I quess, if all a person is going to do is, cross a stream once or twice a year or tear up the mud in a farmers field in the spring a lifted crew cab long box would do fine at that, (and impress the teens as well).

It's sad how many people respond to threads that don't even answer the question. They just state what they want then leave. It would be nice if people would just answer the questions and not state their opinions. At least he got 2 decent responses out of 6. but it's not over yet. Good luck buddy, you'll need it.

It's sad how many people respond to threads that don't even answer the question. They just state what they want then leave. It would be nice if people would just answer the questions and not state their opinions. At least he got 2 decent responses out of 6. but it's not over yet. Good luck buddy, you'll need it.

??

And you managed to drop right in and leave your meaningless post. ?

01 Dodge Ram Offroad with a 3" Skyjacker lift. For tires I'm running 33" BFG MT's on Eagle Alloy 16" I'm pretty sure but not positive the width is 10" for the wheels. I like it a lot but the 33"s look a little small with the 3" lift. They rub at full lock when I hit a bump or the brakes so I don't know that 35"s will fit without rubbing especially with these wheels. I think they would be ok with wheels with a differn't backspacing.

I don't know how much this lift would run.

I like Skyjacker a lot but there are several other good lift companys. I take my truck through mud puddles some and up some really rough gravel roads. I don't take it offroad and jump it and beat the hell out of it but it is used offroad. When I got it it was basically a street queen and was for a while but then got some scratches down the side from going up a gravel driveway which turned into it being covered in scratches shortly after so I'm a little more open to what I do with it now and don't worry about it as much although it still pisses me off that it's scratched like it is. I think it could all get buffed out though if I took it to a shop as none of the scratches are deep. I also had a dog jump all over it and scratch it but I think that could come out too. I just leave it as the dark paint will show them again though. Overall I use my truck and it does great but I don't beat the piss out of it either.

The length is important because of torsional flex of the frame (Twisting). Short wheel base is ideal for "real" off road driving. I quess, if all a person is going to do is, cross a stream once or twice a year or tear up the mud in a farmers field in the spring a lifted crew cab long box would do fine at that, (and impress the teens as well).

im 15, thats what i wanan do! ! : )

Read about approach, departure and breakover angles. In a few circumstances a longer wheelbase is a bonus, but 95% of the time, if you're SERIOUSLY wheeling, a SWB rig like a Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ or even XJ, an old Land Cruiser or first-gen Bronco, a Samurai, or any of the custom shortened Toyotas and other projects are far superior offroad to a fullsize pickup.

im 15, thats what i wanan do! ! : )

I hope you're joking and ONLY referring to the "impressing teens" part. Tearing up muddy fields is one of THE most visible and detrimental acts anyone can do to off-roading--and it doesn't just affect Jeeps and pickups, it affects dirt bikes too. ? "mudding" is what gets public lands shut down and gives the eco-nazis something to scream about and show pictures of.

With a 6 or larger lift and bigger tires you can be looking at replacing U-joints at least every 6 months, and the tires are going to get really expensive really quick. If you go with something that is really aggresive on the dirt, the pavement will kill it, and vise-versa. If you are looking for the look of a lifted truck and being able to put some larger tires on go with a 3' body lift.

Jacking a truck up is about as useful as lowering it.

I can see up to 4 inches of lift, maybe 35 inch tires, anything more is compensation for your small wee wee!! Not to mention it looks about as lame as a dodge neon with a tail fin on it!

What I find really funny is most the guys that jack there trucks are about 5'5 and 130 lbs. Can you say "small mans complex".