Grenaded my motor today.... :cry: :cry:

And only a week before I was supposed to leave for Moab....:bonk::cry::bonk:

On a big long loop out in the dez today, we got lost. Well, actually there was a wilderness area between where we were and where we needed to be. I knew where to go, just couldn't get there. Right about that time I started hearing the engine knocking a bit.

As we paddled our way deeper and deeper up the creek, the knocking and rattling started getting progressively worse, but there was nothing I could do about it. It was around 35 miles back to the truck. I just rode it as smooth as I could and hoped for the best. Better a blown motor than lost in the dez in the dark! I was just praying we would make it back without the motor completely disintegrating.

Anyway, by the time we got back the motor was clanking and clunking like a bucket of bolts.

I stopped by my mechanics on the way home and he pretty much confirmed what I feared - I grenaded the lower end bearing & who knows what else. At least it didn't come completely apart.

He said bad or old gas (causing detonation) can accelerate or even cause this problem. He suggests running 1 gallon of higher octane race fuel to 4 gallons of premium gas. He also suggested that I do not lug the motor, rather keep it up in the revs. I have to admit that I am guilty of that coming off a bigger bike that will lug down and just GRUNT! I guess my search for low end in the WR ended up biting me in the a$$. I'll either have to change my style, or get a 450 I guess.

It's looking like it's going to be $6-800+. Not counting the premium price I paid for the damn thing, I've dumped so much money into this '02 in the last few months it's not even funny. If it wasn't CA street plated, (rarer than a hens tooth) I think I'd be parting it out right now. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and put in an Athena 290 at the same time and hope for brighter days ahead. It's no more labor. Of course - in addition to whatever is destroyed - I'll be putting in a new cam chain and tensioners at the very least.

Anything else I should look out for or replace while the cases are split? Thanks for listening. Just had to vent......

:thumbsup::thumbsup::confused::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::cry:

Bill

Sorry to hear bout ya bike. Some bikes are real moneytraps :thumbsup:

Sorry for the misfortune Bill. Better now in your backyard where you know how to get home than in Moab where you don't know where anything is... :thumbsup:

Good luck with the big bore, it should be more to your liking :thumbsup:

Man that sucks. And that is all that comes to mind. :thumbsup:

That really sucks major! Good luck with it.

Man I feel sorry for you, but I know how you feel I have put about 1000 dollars into my 2004 CRF250R in the last 3 months.

Mines been having lots of shavings in the filter and at the track thurs I was noticing a lot of rattling and knocking in the air like Bill said. I'm getting a bit scared :thumbsup:

Sorry for the misfortune Bill. Better now in your backyard where you know how to get home than in Moab where you don't know where anything is... :bonk:

Good luck with the big bore, it should be more to your liking :thumbsup:

AV, I bet your glass is half full isn't it? :thumbsup::confused: There's no doubt - I'd much rather have it happen now than ruin the trip for me - AND my buddies. Still, it bums me out. Somehow it seems more like a defeat than something like getting a broken arm and having to go to the ER and it costing a $1000. Actually the arm would be much worse on every level, but that just seems like part of the gig. Having your motor let loose is more like.....well like defeat. :bonk: It's your bike you feel like you did all you could do to get it up and working perfectly - only to have it let you down. This is the closest I've ever been to being seriously stranded way out. (OK, well there was another time, but that's a long story...) Never had a motor/bike failure that I couldn't fix on the trail. Our dez here is BIG. 100+ mile loops are not unusual at all. I'm thankful that it made it back. Always a silver lining.

As for the Athena, I'm just not sure I'll have the cash to do it. My work is cyclical and I've been off for a while now, there's taxes, and a trip to Moab to pay for. If I can swing the Athena Big Bore, I'll be stoked again about the lil girl. I'll be willing to give her another chance at romancing me. :cry::bonk::bonk::bonk: Otherwise, I might just have to save up for a 450 which I've really been resisting. A lot of the guys I ride with have Estart 450's and it's becoming increasingly hard to keep up. Of course some of that may be me..... :bonk:

Thanks for the shoulders to lean on guys! It's all good. I'm feeling better already. :cry:

Mines been having lots of shavings in the filter and at the track thurs I was noticing a lot of rattling and knocking in the air like Bill said. I'm getting a bit scared :thumbsup:

Josh, I haven't had any noticable shavings in my oil and I just changed it too. I noticed mine would really knock when there was no load on the engine - like on start up. I practically jumped out of my boots every time I had to start it today. Letting off the gas was the next worse and eventually, any time the engine turned faster or slower it became a giant knocking rattling mess until - just as I got back to the truck - I could barely stand it any more.

In retrospect, after thinking about it, I think that it's been doing it a little bit when under load at low revs for the last couple of rides. Today it just decided to let go. Get it checked by someone who knows. If it is going, better to find out sooner rather than later when it scatters itself throughout your engine.

And only a week before I was supposed to leave for Moab....:bonk::cry::bonk:

On a big long loop out in the dez today, we got lost. Well, actually there was a wilderness area between where we were and where we needed to be. I knew where to go, just couldn't get there. Right about that time I started hearing the engine knocking a bit.

As we paddled our way deeper and deeper up the creek, the knocking and rattling started getting progressively worse, but there was nothing I could do about it. It was around 35 miles back to the truck. I just rode it as smooth as I could and hoped for the best. Better a blown motor than lost in the dez in the dark! I was just praying we would make it back without the motor completely disintegrating.

Anyway, by the time we got back the motor was clanking and clunking like a bucket of bolts.

I stopped by my mechanics on the way home and he pretty much confirmed what I feared - I grenaded the lower end bearing & who knows what else. At least it didn't come completely apart.

He said bad or old gas (causing detonation) can accelerate or even cause this problem. He suggests running 1 gallon of higher octane race fuel to 4 gallons of premium gas. He also suggested that I do not lug the motor, rather keep it up in the revs. I have to admit that I am guilty of that coming off a bigger bike that will lug down and just GRUNT! I guess my search for low end in the WR ended up biting me in the a$$. I'll either have to change my style, or get a 450 I guess.

It's looking like it's going to be $6-800+. Not counting the premium price I paid for the damn thing, I've dumped so much money into this '02 in the last few months it's not even funny. If it wasn't CA street plated, (rarer than a hens tooth) I think I'd be parting it out right now. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and put in an Athena 290 at the same time and hope for brighter days ahead. It's no more labor. Of course - in addition to whatever is destroyed - I'll be putting in a new cam chain and tensioners at the very least.

Anything else I should look out for or replace while the cases are split? Thanks for listening. Just had to vent......

:thumbsup::thumbsup::confused::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::cry:

Bill

When my lower bearing went I was lucky enough to only have destroyed the lower rod bearing. Check the oil pump. Mine had a couple tiny grooves in it from tiny metal pieces, but I was able to lightly polish it enough to use it.

I am so so sorry Bill. This is the last thing you needed after the year you have been having. I think your acctualy taking it quite well. Don't know if I could.

Thank God for the trusty KLX in your stable! :thumbsup:

I know the bucks are tight, but I still think the 450 , KTM,WR or whatever is the way to go.

MOAB,MOAB,MOAB! :thumbsup::confused::bonk::bonk:

He also suggested that I do not lug the motor, rather keep it up in the revs.

Is it a bad thing to lug it and not rev it real high? Like when I am riding and we follow trails to the area, someimtes I just keep the revs low wihle cruising just so I'm not cruising at like 9,500+- . IS this a bad thing then? Should I try to keep the revs up there all the time while riding?

Or is that just a "myth"? (Do I smell MythBusters?)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::confused:

Good news. Or at least better news. Just got off the phone with my mechanic. What a guy. He spends Saturday night tearing my bike apart!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Anyone in socal who needs a good mechanic, feel free to PM me.

Anyway, he just called and said the bottom end looks like it's going to be OK, but that it's a problem he's never seen before. He started pulling the motor apart and found that the flywheel had come loose. The rivets failed and the thing was just rattling around. There's some metal shavings, but the stator seems to be working OK. Good news is that it doesn't look as bad as we both thought. Yahoo!! The WR might make it to Moab after all!

Now all I need to do is find a flywheel and a Flywheel puller. I'm on it tomorrow. Thanks all

Oh, BTW mattoak, you may have misunderstood what I said - or maybe I didn't say it right. I think what he means is that if you're getting detonation from cheap or old gas and you lug the engine, you increase the chance of the bottom end bearing going out. Dennis has worked with RPM for quite a while and in addition to building the Ice Cubes and great bored and stroked motors, they build experimental engines that put out unbelieveable amounts of HP in their R&D pursuits. He knows his stuff and if he says he's seen bad gas and lugging causing problems with the lowerend bearings, I believe him. :confused::bonk:

Oh, he also says that the Yamaha's are practically indestructable! :bonk::bonk: I guess except for mine.... :bonk:

Hmm, a flywheel breaking apart like that could be a sign for worn crank bearings. Make sure you check for bearing play on it.

Mattoak, there is some truth to that. You could read through a bunch of oil articles if you would like but it comes down to this. The engine's lube doesn't provide as much protection with a large load and low rpms, as it would in the same situation just in a lower (more rpms) gear. This is why semi drivers keep the revs high while hauling stuff through the hills. Now a semi truck commonly does a million miles in it's life, and a dirt bike might do 20,000 if it's lucky, so take it with a grain of salt.

Wow Bill, talk about an emotional rollercoaster! You had me down in the dumps then right back out again. Glad it's not as bad a problem as you though originally. I've read a couple of times on the forum where the rivets have come out of the flywheel. Probably worth checking out any time you replace a cam chain.

Checking the crank bearings sounds like an excellent idea.

Have fun in Moab. Glad it wasn't the bottom end.:thumbsup:

mine let go after the first ride this year. i lost the lower connecting rod bearing. ill not run it at low revs if this causes it. 550 for parts ill check my oil pump for scoring while its apart 2001 yz250f .i was told by a dealer that if you have moisture in your oil over the winter it can cause the bearings to get rust pits in them dont know if its true but im going to start mine once in a while over the winter to avoid this.

its good to hear it worked out well for you mate!!!!

I think low revs is fine, just don't lug it down to the point that things get unsmooth.

I think low revs is fine, just don't lug it down to the point that things get unsmooth.

Exactly! :thumbsup: Den described it as the "happy spot". The YZF/WRF's have a happy spot. Go below that threshold and they're no longer happy. If you've ever ridden one you know exactly what he's talking about.

Barton - sorry to put you thru the rollercoaster. :thumbsup: Should know more tomorrow. Going to check the crank bearings and we're going to steal the flywheel off my son's '01 WR and slap it on there. Fire it up and see if there's any residual problems. Then we'll be ordering the parts and hopefully it's all together before Moab!!