Kx250f crankcase around kickstart broken??

So i have a kx250f 04' 32hrs on it... yea i know, new business no time for riding but problem is i went for a ride this morning all going good, stalled it went to kick it over and it was like teeth had broken off on kickstart cog, closer inspection showed the main crankcase is cracked right round kickstart area??? anyone else had the same problem or any suggestions, To me it looks like its going to need a new righthand complete crank case or weld and reface..?? (if anyone has a spare one needed) managed to bump start it and get back to car but could only get 1st gear then 1,2,3 the all after 300m or so...

thinking i should have left it in the shed doh.. any help/ ideas like is that a comman fault cause it would seem like a factory fault/ weak point to me!!??

Thanks!!

Sorry you had this problem like many many others have. What happens when you kick over the bike and put too much force into the kick and finish in the peg to crack the case. If you checked out the 06 they changed the kick starter to stop before it hits the peg. Check your starter arm and see the cuts in it to understand what happened. Hope you can get it fixed cheap. :thumbsup:

I had to buy a new case, complete, matched halves, go thru TT OEM parts for bet deal.

just had the same thing happen to me, pos cracked right around the kickstarter. how much did it end up costing you to fix? did you do it yourself?

Sorry you had this problem like many many others have. What happens when you kick over the bike and put too much force into the kick and finish in the peg to crack the case. If you checked out the 06 they changed the kick starter to stop before it hits the peg. Check your starter arm and see the cuts in it to understand what happened. Hope you can get it fixed cheap. :thumbsup:

Actuly thats incorrect What the cause is a problem with the ignition firing the engine the wrong direction [essential backfire] causing the clutch basket teath to slam against the kickstarter gear breaking teath. that then is kicked up into the cause causing the damage.

Actuly thats incorrect What the cause is a problem with the ignition firing the engine the wrong direction [essential backfire] causing the clutch basket teath to slam against the kickstarter gear breaking teath. that then is kicked up into the cause causing the damage.

Interesting theory, but jedsterjed's theory is generally accepted by most experts. Thankfully, I've never seen this happen to any bike but the '04's. I understand the '05's had some beefing-up of the cases too.

Well, I guess I can't discredit that either.. But My 05 did this exact same thing broke a tooth. But I had accidently put in an 04 ignition and it wouldn't run and then backfired once takeing out a fresh new engine rebuild.. Another member here had the same problem called kawi gave them a vin number they paid for the damages and sent him a new ingition...... So who knows....

Big bore 500's do this, backfire with the kickstarter engaged and then slams into the stop breaking the case. Can't see how kicking and hitting the footpeg would casue this, more inclined to go with the backfire scenario

Big bore 500's do this, backfire with the kickstarter engaged and then slams into the stop breaking the case. Can't see how kicking and hitting the footpeg would casue this, more inclined to go with the backfire scenario

yeah thats what im thinking at most you would just bend the kickstart lever before breaking a tooth on a harden steal sprocket

regardless, cracking a case on a bike by just starting it is retarded.