Forest Hill, LA, Easter Weekend?

We're thinking of taking advantage of my Friday off next week, and checking out some trail riding over the weekend... we were thinking about 'The Ridge' in AL, but seems they are (understandably) closed Easter Sunday, and if we were going to drive that far we'd like to get a couple of hours in Sunday morning, too... so now we're thinking of Forest Hill. :thumbsup:

Couple of questions for the Forest Hill regulars... first, wanna come? :thumbsup:

Second, in which area of the Kisatchie National Forest is the 'good' riding? I'm looking at the Kistche National Forest website and see different areas labeled 'open' or 'closed' for ORV riding... which of the open areas are the ones to shoot for?

Third, are they pretty much open 24 hrs, or do we need to talk to a real person to make sure they are open on the holiday as well?

Thanks for any help!

We have ridden there alot. Just had a Hare scramble and Enduro there in the last month. So the trails are fresh. You can get to it from the boy scout campground. Otherwise you can ride any of the three loops that you can get to from the main campground. But beware of the retards on the four wheelers tearing up the trail and riding it back wards.

But beware of the retards on the four wheelers tearing up the trail and riding it back wards.

watch out for the big mudholes that the 4 wheel drive quads have dug out. this isnt too big of a problem, but there are some that will swallow a bike whole. one of them got my xr a couple years ago. it filled the airbox and cylinder up with water :thumbsup: .

i think that they need to dig a big mud pit beside the parking lot that is about a half acre for the 4 wheelers, and keep them off of the real trails unless they know how to follow the rules. :thumbsup:

if you get with someone who knows the trails, i like the boyscout camping area the best because it is quieter. the trails at forest hill are alot of fun. the woodworth loop is one of my favorite trails to ride. it's not too rough, and it's fast with alot of big sand berms.

Tommy

Sweet! Thanks for the info, & the warnings... I've experienced those quad-bogs before, not fun! :thumbsup:

Just some FYI

Last time I checked, there isn't any one-way trails at Forrest Hill. It is legal to ride the trail whichever way you choose. So you better be creeping on those blind corners. We hit quads 2 or 3 times a year.

Also, don't get caught riding the enduro trails we just had. You can ride on the designated marked single track trail only. Those other trails are special use trails that the club has an agreement with the USFS to only use once a year. If you go and ride them, then you are working against the club's efforts to increase the amount of single track we can ride on at Forest Hill. We just got back about 35 miles of single track, so don't go and blow it for the rest of us. If you want to ride those other trails, then you can sign up and ride the enduro. It was great this year.

Just some FYI

Last time I checked, there isn't any one-way trails at Forrest Hill. It is legal to ride the trail whichever way you choose. So you better be creeping on those blind corners. We hit quads 2 or 3 times a year.

Also, don't get caught riding the enduro trails we just had. You can ride on the designated marked single track trail only. Those other trails are special use trails that the club has an agreement with the USFS to only use once a year. If you go and ride them, then you are working against the club's efforts to increase the amount of single track we can ride on at Forest Hill. We just got back about 35 miles of single track, so don't go and blow it for the rest of us. If you want to ride those other trails, then you can sign up and ride the enduro. It was great this year.

Never fear, we had a guide (Navaho) and rode with him, Dirty Sanchez, Juicemonkey, and another TTer (I think he's on here, but can't recall his name...) I'm fairly certain we stuck to designated loops, with minor connections (we started with Boy Scout, then did part of Wood-something). Sunday we were on our own, but Navaho sent us north up the 165, to tackle ANOTHER well-marked loop.

As we've never been there before, we didn't feel the need to go off the beaten path... as all the trails were new to us! :thumbsup:

And it was SWEET! :thumbsup:

I saw that Dirty Sanchez called me. I am down for the count with a disc problem in my neck. Otherwise I would have been there. Dirty Sanchez rides with us every now and then. So he should know scoop out there.

If you liked Forest Hill, then you will love riding at Breezy Hill. Get Mr. Sanchez to round ya'll up and come ride with us in the trees.

Glad you had fun. FYI, that was the Woodworth Loop we rode. We also rode part of the Boy Scout Loop from Harescramble Corner to the Loran Campsite.

I hope you found your way around Camp Livingston alright. It was so freakin' dry last weekend. You've got to come back when the trails aren't so dusty. Like Bandit said, Breezy Hill is a hoot. We had 16 riders in the group up there two weekends ago. Redneck0113 was there. That was a kick :thumbsup:

Check out Juicemonkey's report on Claiborne: http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770