Sign in to follow this  

Smash radiators, need advice

Well, I ate it HARD today. Basically, I got my front tire stuck in a rut on a rocky jeep road going at a really good clip and ate it. I landed on the left side of the bike and slid for a while.

The wierd thing is that the RIGHT side radiator took most of the damage and the bike never hit on that side. Anyway, both radiators are slightly bent, nothing too bad. They dont seem to be leaking. Obviously, I did not have Radiator Guards.... :thumbsup:

I hear, from this site, that Flatland guards are really good. My worry/concren is that I have no idea how or why the radiator on the other side of theb ike got so tweeked. I have a IMS 3.5 Gal tank on it and the tank did not seem to move. &%$#@!??

Are you guys finding that crash woryiness is pretty bad on this bike? What can I do to aviod this in the furture OTHER than not crashing (smart asses :thumbsup: )?

Could it be from your body? I bent the steering wheel like hell in my Jeep when I crashed, put my knees through the dash too. Maybe your leg or body somehow damaged the radiator.

Lukejt

Ive yet to own a bike that I have not twisted the rads, its just part of owning a liquid cooled bike. Radiator braces help but they wont protect in every situation.

I was thinking that maybe my right leg hit so dang hard that it caused the tank to "flex" into the radiator.....I checked, no leaks.!!!!!

My leg is swollen like a baseball though...Iguess I failed to mention I got hurt too, I more concerned about the bike though.

I ate it hard at the top of the "sanddam" at Superstition. Backflipped the bike and landed it on top of a granite outcropping. Broke my Clutch perch, my left thumb and bent in the left radiator shroud/mounts and left blue plastic laying all over the top of the hill.

Maybe 4th over the top was a bad idea.

I have the same question... the radiators stick way out. What is the best protection?

HuskyT

Hey CraiginCali

Maybe your bike flipped while you were sliding and didn't see it happen. Sucks going down doesn't it.

Get your knee looked at right away. Motrin 800's for relief of the swelling. If it still hurts like a mother in the morning go in for x-rays.

Hope you feel better soon. Bikes can be replaced, knees can't... did you have knee pads on?

HuskyT

My friend is a Ortho Surgen and my wife is a RN. They both looked at it and said "really badly bruised". Beer makes it feel better!!!

So are Flatland guards are the way to go??

You ride in D-37 right?

Where when would be the best time/best short race to get started back into racing....? I used to ride Enduros in British Columbia Canada on a Honda CR480 and MX on a Honda CR125 a long time ago. Just got back into riding again in January after a long time. Just getting time in in the saddle now to get that old feeling back again.

I have been riding around Superstition, Plaster City and Ocotillo alot but actually live up in Corona.

What do you reccomend?

Hoping that Corona is going down good right now!

HuskyT

Craigincali,

I just installed the Flatland radiator guards on my 06 TE 450 and they seem to be pretty good. You'll have to trim some plastic off the grey plastic radiator covers to make them fit. This can be done with a utility knife.

I punctured my radiator in a minor crash a few weeks ago. When I fell, the mounting tab for the grey plastic cover bent inward and the mounting bolt pierced the radiator. I noticed that Honda has these tabs angled outwards 45 degrees so they can bend more without the bolt hitting the core. I wish Husky had thought of that! I fixed the puncture with JB weld and installed the Flatland guards. Everything seems much stronger now.

Steve

I forgot to mention, here is a list of all the stuff I've broken so far (4 months of riding). Most of this was not crash related:

1) rear fender- broke off after several laps on an MX track with big jumps. I repaired it with alumnum straps on top and aluminum angle on bottom, riveted together.

2) rear mount on muffler canister broke at weld. Welded on new piece.

3) small hole in right sidecase from a rock (more JB Weld)

4) destroyed all turn signals (what was I thinking, take'em off!)

5) damaged left radiator. (installed guards).

6) tweaked kickstand mount. The piece that mounts the kickstand to the frame is junk and bent on the first day out. My bike sits leaned WAY over on the kickstand, even after bending it back twice.

7) speedometer sensor wire broke several times at the connector near the handlebars. I solders in my own wire, eliminated the connector, and installed zip ties for strain relief.

That's all so far,

Steve

I forgot to mention, here is a list of all the stuff I've broken so far (4 months of riding). Most of this was not crash related:

1) rear fender- broke off after several laps on an MX track with big jumps. I repaired it with alumnum straps on top and aluminum angle on bottom, riveted together.

2) rear mount on muffler canister broke at weld. Welded on new piece.

3) small hole in right sidecase from a rock (more JB Weld)

4) destroyed all turn signals (what was I thinking, take'em off!)

5) damaged left radiator. (installed guards).

6) tweaked kickstand mount. The piece that mounts the kickstand to the frame is junk and bent on the first day out. My bike sits leaned WAY over on the kickstand, even after bending it back twice.

7) speedometer sensor wire broke several times at the connector near the handlebars. I solders in my own wire, eliminated the connector, and installed zip ties for strain relief.

That's all so far,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Uptite offers new case covers or have you already replaced?.

I bent the rear silencer mount when the bike fell over (dinner triangle bent!) http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3233152#

&%$#@!

did you do anything to beef it up?

Put a kickstand on this week but haven't rode with it yet . Does yours have a double spring? Does the kickstand stay up when you ride?

HuskyT

I've been using the Flatland radiator guards now for about 9 month and havn't had any problems since then, very strong. Prior to installing them I wasted two radiators. They stick out further than other bikes, and I've wasted the tank plastic and raidiator shrouds a bunch of times. Having the IMS tank on the bike furthes the width of the tank shroud as the tank is a bit wider. Install the rad. guards, at least they will be protected.

Aloha

Tiger

I've been practicing protecting my bike when we fall by using my body as a shield :thumbsup: . It has worked well over the past three years. One busted wrist, one busted elbow and one busted C2. LOL! Just kidding about protecting my bike that is. Guards are cheaper than radiators. Steny :thumbsup:

Huskyt,

I welded the pipe mount back on the subframe and it broke a second time at the mounting hole for the canister. I then added a 1/4" thick aluminum reinforcement and it seems to be holding. I did not get any case guards, I just fixed the small hole in the side case with JB weld and it's holding up fine. My kickstand has a double spring and doesn't "deploy" when riding.

Steve

I've had success with the CRD radiator guards. The CRD's are more like a structural support rather than "guards". I stepped off my bike once on some uphill step-ups and ghost rode it. The bike landed on the right side and would have tweaked the radiator if I did'nt have the CRD's. So they saved me one radiator already !

Jerry

I cannot find a good picture of the Flatland guards. Everypic I see shows ther front of a radiator. I want to see the way they look off the bike. Anyone have a link???

Doesn't sound like you need to this but my buddy smashed his Yamaha WR radiator last week. Sent it to Mylers in Utah Tuesday, had it back in Oregon on Friday. They had it fixed and were calling with costs and payment info 2hrs after they received it. Looked like they did a fine job of straightening and welding it. I am not affiliated with Myler's in any way. $68 W/shipping, I was impressed with their service.

I cannot find a good picture of the Flatland guards. Everypic I see shows ther front of a radiator. I want to see the way they look off the bike. Anyone have a link???

Craig - I have them coming in for my TE450 this week. I'll take pics before I put them on for you. :thumbsup:

Michael

Craigincali,

I don't have a photo, but I can describe them. You've already seen the front and the aluminum guard wraps around the side of the radiator and ends. There is a single brace connecting the side of the guard to the rear radiator mount, like a "strut" on the back of the guard. They bolt to the stock radiator mounting holes and have circular openings on the sides for the plastic covers to bolt on. I installed mine in about 30 minutes including trimming the plastic covers to fit.

Steve