Desert 100 Iron Man - w/Pictures

I arrived at Odessa about 7:15 a.m.. Located the Mulisha camp site and went to registration site, paid my fees for the Iron Man. I did not take any pictures of the actual ride. We were moving entirely too fast. I don't think we started riding until about 9:00 or 9:30 a.m. I finished my 2nd lap picked up my Iron Man T-shirt for finishing by 1:05. We took quite a long break in between our 1st lap and our second. I stopped for a hotdog and gator aid on the first lap other than that it was pretty much all go.

Pat and Tory?, Gerald, Brent and his wife (didn't get her name or I forgot - sorry), Jeff and Kimi, Mike, Tony and his son Alex. I know I am leaving people out but you can see we had quite a crew representing Aloha Mulisha.

Here is a picture of the registration area when I got there someone was giving a speech explaining the course and rules of the ride.

63529407-L.jpg

And here are some shots of folks walking about.

63529409-L.jpg

63529411-L.jpg

Here is Pat, Brents wife (?) and Kimi back at camp.

63529412-L.jpg

Brent and various members of the Mulisha in the background.

63529414-L.jpg

63529417-L.jpg

Here is the whole crew except me of course.

63529419-L.jpg

63529421-L.jpg

Jeff and Kimi were absolutely great hosts. They fed us and gave us shelter when the rain started falling pretty good after the first lap.

63529424-L.jpg

That is all the pictures I took.

Hey guys I should have explained why I had to leave so early. Initially Tony and I talked about doing a third lap in which we would take pictures of the whole course. But early Saturday morning I realized I had a prescription that I needed to be renewed before Sunday. So I left rather hurriedly because the drug store in Quincy closes at 3:00 p.m. I arrived there at 2:40 and did get the prescription. Sorry that I could not stay. I really wanted to but had to get that done.

It was really fun and would have been more fun hanging out with everyone afterward. Next year I will plan things a bit better.

Tony I hope you went out and took pictures of the course. Next year I should have my helmet cam.

:thumbsup:

Looked like I missed a lot of fun. Looks like you had lots of water.

Looked like I missed a lot of fun. Looks like you had lots of water.

There was a little bit of dust the first lap but by the second lap the course was perfect. There were only a few mud bogs most of which you could ride around if you were looking far enough ahead to see them in time. Tons of fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing those pictures OMT :thumbsup: looks like you guys had a fun time :thumbsup:

The course was perfect. I rode two laps in the afternoon and boy was it a kick. I cannot wait for next year.

It'd be great if they did that event twice a year!

The course was perfect. I rode two laps in the afternoon and boy was it a kick. I cannot wait for next year.

It'd be great if they did that event twice a year!

I would probably go twice a year but I think the fact that it is once is what builds the anticipation in the riders which results in the great turn out. If you don't make it in the spring you will have to wait another whole year. The end result was what you experienced. Great wasn't it?

Great wasn't it?

Great indeed :thumbsup:

I don't think one could ask for more perfect riding conditions, had a great time despite a couple of jerks on the course ( It happens when you have many people,I'll save that rant for another post) and my buddy's face plant that resulted in a broken collar bone.

All in all, good ride, good people and a great time, whens the next one? :thumbsup:

By the time I ended my second lap it was raining hard. This ended my desire to ride a third lap. A few of us did go watch the minis race and cheer on Scott's son Kyle.

We had a great time, no bad crashes in our group. :thumbsup:

TONY

OMT at the front gate. :thumbsup:

63729190-M.jpg

how long was the whole thing and how long did it take u?

how long was the whole thing and how long did it take u?
The loop was 28 miles long, it took about an hour to complete. We got in a third run before they shut it down at 1:30pm.
OMT at the front gate. :thumbsup:

63729190-M.jpg

Loynz, Great picture. You can actually see the difference between the part of the truck that I have rubbed out the oxidation and the bed, which is still oxidized. Love it.

We came up with 30 miles exactly when we pulled into our camping area after the first lap. It seems to be getting shorter every year. I remember it being much closer to 35 per lap when it was at Vantage. I think they need to throw in more of the race course to give us 80 miles in the Iron Man. Not really complaining cause it is still a blast but most the guys I was riding with felt the same way.

PS

Now that I think about it we did head out in the wrong direction for a short distance which may account for the difference in our lap mileage.

OMT,

From the looks of your group photo, you were right across the road from us and a little closer to the main area. I was trying to hook up with Pat via radio, but no luck. Would have been nice to ride a lap with you guy's.

That creek crossing was something else. Filled my boots up helping people unstick their bikes. Never saw mud like that. On two bikes, it took 5 guy's to pull the rear wheel out of that stuff.

All in all, it was a blast as usual. Wish it was a little longer. I measured 27 miles per lap. Goes by way too quick.

OMT,

All in all, it was a blast as usual. Wish it was a little longer. I measured 27 miles per lap. Goes by way too quick.

Yep, way too quick. :thumbsup:

Thank you StumpJumpers. It was a good ride. We signed up for the DS and did one lap, but between a buddy going down hard (he rode out, but he was hurtin') and the onset of rain we didn't feel much like riding the rest on the road. Called it good and still had a great time. That 2nd creek crossing was fun to watch. I got lucky and lined up a nice 2nd gear launch, but we saw 3 or 4 wipe out. Gotta love it.

Next year I'll do 2 laps of the Ironman as that looked like the most fun.

Thank you StumpJumpers. It was a good ride. We signed up for the DS and did one lap, but between a buddy going down hard (he rode out, but he was hurtin') and the onset of rain we didn't feel much like riding the rest on the road. Called it good and still had a great time. That 2nd creek crossing was fun to watch. I got lucky and lined up a nice 2nd gear launch, but we saw 3 or 4 wipe out. Gotta love it.

Next year I'll do 2 laps of the Ironman as that looked like the most fun.

And you got the bike for it too. I love riding my XR650R in the Iron Man. It was made for it. Although I have to admit the 525 was a blast. The XR is way comfortable and I am less sore after wards. The XR was out for front and rear wheel bearing or I would have been on it.

That creek crossing was something else. Filled my boots up helping people unstick their bikes. Never saw mud like that. On two bikes, it took 5 guy's to pull the rear wheel out of that stuff.

What are you guys referring to?

I did two laps of the poker run and never crossed water? There was one major water X-ing (2 if you count the bridge) in the race but the poker run didn't cross any water.

-Tyler

trail was rerouted that parralleled Crab Creek and crossed a small ditch thatn saw a little water and a bunch of riders were getting stuck in it. We rerouted the section to avoid the mud all together and you probably wouldn't have notice it.....

.....because we are that tricky. :thumbsup:

And make life easier for the riders. I made it across and even found alternate routes for some riders before we decided to shut that short leg down and keep you riding on the left of the ditch.

trail was rerouted that parralleled Crab Creek and crossed a small ditch thatn saw a little water and a bunch of riders were getting stuck in it. We rerouted the section to avoid the mud all together and you probably wouldn't have notice it.....

And make life easier for the riders. I made it across and even found alternate routes for some riders before we decided to shut that short leg down and keep you riding on the left of the ditch.

Is that why it was shorter this year? :thumbsup:

Ahhh, I know exactly what you are talking about now. I saw that cluster and went to the left of it. I'd like to take credit for thinking on my feet and finding a better route but think someone was there pointing to a better line ;-) The next lap it was ribboned off.

-Tyler