Noob sayin' howdy

Well I've been lurking for several months. After selling my 2000 KTM 640 Dual Sport a few years back I found that I couldn't exist without a dual sport.

My biggest challenge finding the right bike was that I hoped to share the bike with my very capable riding wife (she rides an FZ1 on the street!). She is much shorter that I & the only stock bike that seemed to fit her was a DR650. But I just couldn't warm up to the DR650.

A couple of weeks ago I stopped by a dealer on the wet side of Washington state who had just taken a like-new DRZ400s in on trade. It was a 2005 with a Corbin seat (equals lower seat height) with just 3,000 miles that had never been off road. It looked brand new. I test rode it & bought it on the spot. It's been great!

Today, I installed a decent luggage rack & lowering links. I also slid the front forks down 3/4". It now fits my wife.

I'm looking forward to exploring back roads again & riding in the dirt with my two kids on their TTR125's!

The ironic thing is, when I tried to buy a DRZ400 in 2000, I couldn't find one so I bought the KTM! Now, looking back, I should have bought the DRZ in the first place! :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard! You came to the right place. Just curious, how'd you like the KTM?

The KTM was well built, ran like hell, & everywhere I rode it people flocked over to look at it.

But, it was too heavy for serious mountain trails, the motor was so buzzy on the street you that it numbed your arms & legs. You were so numb you could of had surgery performed & not felt it! :thumbsup:

I had a bad experience with it in the mountains. I took a real bad spill & unbeknown to me rammed the fan blades into the radiator. This caused the main wiring harness to melt. KTM would not warranty it. My argument was that the fuse should have protected the harness. KTM's stand was the damage was caused by my poorly executed dismount! Needless to say, the bike was at the dealer for FIVE months waiting on a new harness! It cost me a cool $600 to get it fixed.

I was so sour on the bike at that point I traded it off on my wife's FZ1!

I do drool over the KTM 950 however, so I guess I would buy another one!

I do drool over the KTM 950 however, so I guess I would buy another one!

Yep, I want one too!! This year, they bumped them up to 990. I rode my friend's 950 Adventure a couple of weeks ago & I can't stop thinking about it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to Thumpertalk Saddletramp :thumbsup:

Yea, Welcome to the Nut House. Get ready to be overwhelmed with advice for modifications to you new purchase. Haha, I'll be the first one to say, "Be careful if you take it off road". Those stock tires you got are the Bridgestone Trailwings, better known on this forum as the "DEATHWINGS". Its a great tire for cruising the street, but not a dirt-worthy tire at all. That would be the first thing I would change out if I were you (if you plan on off-roading that is....Well, Enjoy.

Yea, Welcome to the Nut House. Get ready to be overwhelmed with advice for modifications to you new purchase. Haha, I'll be the first one to say, "Be careful if you take it off road". Those stock tires you got are the Bridgestone Trailwings, better known on this forum as the "DEATHWINGS". Its a great tire for cruising the street, but not a dirt-worthy tire at all. That would be the first thing I would change out if I were you (if you plan on off-roading that is....Well, Enjoy.

Yup you're right about the stock tires! I've already had it sideways twice! :thumbsup:

For some reason, the DRZ takes me back to my teenage years when I was zipping around on my Honda Elsinore! Now ya all know how ancient I is! :thumbsup: