Sign in to follow this  

Electric impact wrench yes or no

Do you guys think a electric impact wrench to be a worth while investment to be used on the bike and other odds and ends, I'm looking at a Dewalt that has 1550 in pound (129 ft lbs), are there any people using these things and is it of any benefit.

I have the Dewalt 12 Volt cordless. I bought it when I built the kids a wooden swingset and now use it for everything. I only use it to remove, never to install bolts. I have 4 bikes that constantly need maintenance and it is a good time saver. I don`t know what mine is rated at but it is no where close to 129 ft lbs.

I have the Dewalt 12 Volt cordless. I bought it when I built the kids a wooden swingset and now use it for everything. I only use it to remove, never to install bolts. I have 4 bikes that constantly need maintenance and it is a good time saver. I don`t know what mine is rated at but it is no where close to 129 ft lbs.

I have one too, it's a handy tool. I don't use it much on the bikes unless it's disassembly (like triple clamp bolts for example). Battery life is pretty good.

with those numbers I think he is talking about a corded one.We have used them in the past but now that the cordless are getting better and better they have replaced it!They are big,heavy and hard to handle but will sure bust a nut loose!I went to the Hitachi 18 volt and it does almost as well at half the weight!

like spizz5 said, don't use one to install bolts, only to uninstall. It's way better to turn a wrench for 5 minutes than to have to replace and or tap a new hole hole in expensive parts.

Thanks for the input, the Dewalt model Im looking at is a 14.4 cordless, its a new model that just came out and they are pretty small, have a look at Dewals site if your interested, it does claim 129 ft lbs, Im just wondering how close to 129 ft lbs it really is, i agree on only taking bolts off of my bike, I have a fence I have to dissasemble and re assemble, Im just wondering if this thing is going to be one of these tools that I pay good money just to say that I have one, some times its hard to determine if you will get reasonable to good use out of it.

Do you guys think a electric impact wrench to be a worth while investment to be used on the bike and other odds and ends, I'm looking at a Dewalt that has 1550 in pound (129 ft lbs), are there any people using these things and is it of any benefit.

I have a SnapOn 3/8, it's awesome! :thumbsup: