How to maintain a YZ125?

Hey everybody i am seriously thinking about getting a 2 smoke, so what do you guys do to your 2 stroke to keep it healthy? im really bad with mechanics at the moment, i have a CRF230, and thinking a 125 or some kind, but heard they heaps of maintence. I only change the oil and air filter on my 230, and other general cosmetic things. But i mean engine wise with a 2 smoke, what would have to be done and how often?

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

EDIT: By the way i will most likley be doing Enduro, how do they go in that sorta stuff.... like going threw creeks... but i still want a nice light bike to throw around and go sum jumps :thumbsup: Would a 125 Suit?

I think it would do well in the enduro with a couple of mods

For a 125, which is usually high maintenance.............the Yamaha is very easy to get along with. They are reliable and the top ends last a long time as long as you are good about keeping the air filter clean. Use ATF in the transmission and change that oil everytime you do your filter. They have no cronic problems and should work well for what you want to do. :thumbsup:

I think it would do well in the enduro with a couple of mods

What sort of mods are we talking here? Are they expensive.... i am coming off a CRF230... i love my enduro but really want 2 jump a bike properley. the 230 just bottoms out and landings are very harsh. So what sort of mods, also top ends on the YZ are they hard to change? Also can you rec/road reg a 125?

I would say:

Clean Air Filter every ride or two.

Change the Tranny oil (ATF) every 2-3 rides.

Keep Super Premium Gas mixed wiht a high quality oil at 32:1.

Every year, have a top end done.

And you should be good.

One thing is, that you generally have to do some tuning to get it to run correctly. If the bike fouls plugs, and you dont know what to do, the bike is gonna be kind of useless. Learn a little bit about two stroke tuning, read the Tech Articles on www.eric-gorr.com and get familiar with some 2 stroke type stuff, and get into it. Definately an awesome bike, and you should certainly go for it. Have fun.

PS. Make sure the creeks aren't up to the airfilter.

Top ends are simple to do, it involves taking the head off, putting a new piston on, and replacing the head (with new gaskets). You wont need to do any mods, but if you want to Mod, I suggest a Flywheel Weight ($100) and a bigger fuel tank ($300) However, ou dont need either of these things. You could just ride.

Ok, what would a flywheel do? Will the powerband of this 125 be scary.... ive ridden a old YZ80 and man the band on that was pretty nuts! i was like WOAH!!

I was also looking at the YZ250F, but it is expensive and the 125 seems like a lighter cheaper alternative, are 125's hard to get good at?

Ok, what would a flywheel do? Will the powerband of this 125 be scary.... ive ridden a old YZ80 and man the band on that was pretty nuts! i was like WOAH!!

I was also looking at the YZ250F, but it is expensive and the 125 seems like a lighter cheaper alternative, are 125's hard to get good at?

At first, the powerband may be a little startling. I think, that with a little experience on the bike it wont be scary. A flywheel weight, or FWW, will smooth out the power on the bike. It will make the bike easier to stall and sometimes easier to start, and the power will be more smooth for the woods

Are flywheels hard to install....... do they come in different specifactions, what sort would i be looking for :S

and what are your thoughts about the 250F in comparasion to the 125, which would suit better do you think?

250f is more maintenance and will cost more overall. I would say get the 125.Go to the dealer and get a service manual and maybe an owners manual if you want, it will tell you how to do a top end and just about everything else on the bike.As for maintenance of the bike, do what lost trail said and if you are riding in really muddy or wet conditions, you might want to grease the linkage bearings and wheel bearings more often (2x a year) as opposed to 1x a year.

also you will needs some barkbusters if you"ll be riding in the woods. I have ASV levers which are really great, b/c if i fall over the level just bends backwards like a spring is easily put back.

Top ends are simple to do, it involves taking the head off, putting a new piston on, and replacing the head (with new gaskets).

Hey Lost.....I don't take my head off. I clean it from the inside w/ a little gas and a brush then wipe it w/ a clean rag. I do pull the powervalve apart and clean that though. I figured I'd share a short cut w/ you. :thumbsup:

Yeah I heard you say that before, how can you change the piston without taking the head off? Or are you talking about just cleaning it?

Yeah I heard you say that before, how can you change the piston without taking the head off? Or are you talking about just cleaning it?

Just leave the head bolted to the cylinder and pulled them off together.

A 125 is really not that much maintenance compared to what you could be getting into. A 250 4 stroke is supposedly more maintenance and is harder to repair if you break it.

I am actually in the same boat as you, I ride trails just as you do and currently have a 230, but I plan on selling my 230 and buying an 06 125.

Search Steahly at rockymountainmc.com They carry all Steahly fly weights and I would recommend about a 9 oz weight which is probably what I'll get.

As far as the power, I wouldnt be worried, but you should be ready to clutch alot if you riding trails. Its really not that big of a deal though.

The powerband might seem a little harsh at first but once you learn to stay in the powerband, it wont even matter.

Also as far as the engine you wont have to worry about anything but a top end so long as you change your tranny oil and clean your air filter often.

Unbolt the cylinder but not the head. Slide the 2 off as a pair rather than seperate. I try not to remove the head and risk warping or leaking. On the YZ125, you have lots of room to leave the head on. :thumbsup:

A flywheel weight, or FWW, will smooth out the power on the bike. It will make the bike easier to stall and sometimes easier to start, and the power will be more smooth for the woods

It will make it harder to stall, not easier. I am currently in the process of setting up my 04 for woods and am going to be getting either a 7 or 9 oz flywheel weight.

orlow do you have any pics or can get any pics of the type of trails you ride? I want a 125 bad but I want to get an idea of the roughest it can make it up.

It will make it harder to stall, not easier. I am currently in the process of setting up my 04 for woods and am going to be getting either a 7 or 9 oz flywheel weight.

ah, my mistake. my head was telling me that it made it harder, i typed easier...thanks for the correction :thumbsup:

orlow do you have any pics or can get any pics of the type of trails you ride? I want a 125 bad but I want to get an idea of the roughest it can make it up.

with the right type of rider, a 125 can do anything. i frequent mildly-steep rocky hills, and rocky terrain. it's what i'm used to, and im not a very good rider yet....

you just need to select the right gear and use the clutch, and you will be fine on any type of trails