Sign in to follow this  

trying to get an idea on costs for mods

I've decided to mod the DRZ rather than buying something new. Searching the archives, I've come up with this much:

439 big bore $400

5mm stroker kit $400

FCR-MX $550

Ron Hamp cams/spring kit/Ferrera valves etc $934

What I don't know:

Any other important parts I'm missing to freshen up the motor?

Labor to install ?

Running Total so far is around $2,300 - $2,400 without labor.

First of all, it sees mostly, (95%) street duty. I have it set up for motard and I use it to commute with to work, school and hit the twisties with it whenever I can.

I race 250's (see avatar) and my other bike is a Z1000. The DRZ is great but just doesn't have the oomph that I'm looking for, hence why I started looking at other bikes. With all the great things I've read from the project bike and others who've gone for the big power, it seems that I can have the best of all worlds by putting some cash into this great bike.

Thanks for the reply.

Chuck.

Almost forgot to answer your second question: what power do you want to make?

Well, I want to be able to keep up with bigger bikes (not top speed but not get left behind in the short straights either), I want something that's going to wheelie in 3rd, 4th, maybe 5th without throwing my back out...lol I want to feel that rush that I get with my Z1000. How that translates into numbers I'm not sure. All I know is there are too many times I say to myself, damn, I wish I had more motor in this thing.

Hope that gives you an idea.

what will you be using for a pipe?

i dont think you will be happy with the hotcams on this set up.

I have a full Muzzy system on it now but that could change.

Sounds expensive... Someone's bank account is screaming for mercy!

well, I look at it like this: spend 7k on a new bike or spend half that and make the bike I already like badder than a new bike. Besides, I've been a very good boy for a couple of years. I'm due. :thumbsup:

edit in first post to reflect new info.

First off, let me say Ron Hamp is a very cool guy. I know next to nothing about engines and it probably shows but he's really easy to talk with and answers all your questions. Thanks Ron.