question about clip position on needle

just to make sure before i put this back in my bike... i have an 05 sm full yoshi pipe 3x3 dyno jet sm specific kit 25 pilot 155 main jet.... the picture of the needle in the dj instructions show the clip in the second clip from the end of the needle but i read somewhere im supposed to disregard that and put it in the 4th position from the flat end of the needle.. which is correct?

The forth position is correct...

no,not correct.

the SM kit uses needle clip 2.

sweet... just got the carb back in the bike.. come back and see burneds post... dang

Quick question, I have done the same mods as above with same bike and when I put it on a dyno yesterday the max hp was 33.7 and torque was 24.3

Tech mentioned that it looked a little lean possible on the main jet and the needle...what should I see, I am located in Vancouver...sea level

Thanks

alright... dumb ass question #1062

are you guys putting the washers from the stock needle back on?

why is it the "SM" uses different jetting than the "S"

washers were reinstalled, not sure why the kit is different

the SM kit was intended for the air box mod as well as the SM having a different main air jet.

Quick question, I have done the same mods as above with same bike and when I put it on a dyno yesterday the max hp was 33.7 and torque was 24.3

Tech mentioned that it looked a little lean possible on the main jet and the needle...what should I see, I am located in Vancouver...sea level

Thanks

what kind of dyno?

open yosh pipe or cork in it?

"looked a little lean possible on the main jet and the needle"- what were the a/f fuel ratio readings at wide open throttle and steady throttle?

not really.

with out a/f fuel readings they are pretty vague.

what tire did you have on for the dyno runs?tire?

140/70-17 stock sm setup

should i take out the baffle on my full yosh pipe? my friends say it will add a little more power

alright... dumb ass question #1062

are you guys putting the washers from the stock needle back on?

why is it the "SM" uses different jetting than the "S"

Well, I am not using the nylon washer. The Dynojet needle is adjustable. Therefore, you can set the length of the needle (by setting the clip position) to be equivalent to utilizing the stock nylon spacer. Mine is set on the last position (6th) with only the thin metal oem washer. This is the same as setting the clip position in the second slot and using the nylon washer. If you think about it, the taper of the needle is only dependent on its relative length. If you have the same length, it doesn't really matter how you get there (nylon spacer or clip position). The nylon spacer was probably used due to the fact that this particular needle may have been used in various applications. Being that the stock needle is not adjustable, the spacer was used to get the desired setting.