Sign in to follow this  

Supermoto vs Speed bike

On a really tight track (go kart maybe), do you think a supermoto have an chance against a speed bike? On tight hairpin curves witch one turns faster? :thumbsup:

Most guys who buy sportbikes are not too serious except if they are hard-core track racers. It doesn't take much other than to go to your dealer and pick up a sport bike for the avg. joe. It takes a more experienced person to buy a supermoto. I think supermotos guys are more into racing and motos in general. I would say that a majority of the avg. sport guys don't even know what a supermoto is.

Supermoto hands down. Even on tracks with 110-120mph straights, the motard would still kill it. The motard has a close ratio gearbox. The sportbikes have a really tall 1st gear (90mph) which doesnt make for good stop and go racing.

The supermoto bike would easily be faster...very easily.

Is it supermoto, or, supermotard???

Whichever one floats your boat.

Probably on a tight track, but if you were to go to a road course and have them race, it would be even close, even if you did give the moto bike taller gearing. There is a reason sport bike racers have the bike leaned over so far, with their knee touching the ground. They are taking turns at incredible speeds, but if there werent any sweeping high speed turns or long straights, their biggest advantage's are gone.

In NZ recently, we had the battle of the streets. The supermotards kill the superbikes in the corners and on some small straits. But on the back straights the superbikes are hitting 310kph. The motards dont have a chance but they sure make up time in the corners

Cruise www.mylaps.com for more info, but WERA subscribes to them. They have motard classes.

From VIR:

Super Motard Expert(basicly and open class for motards, displacement wise)

Winner best lap time: 1:43.369

2nd place best lap time: 1:48.653

Lightweight Superbike(which is usually hotrod SV650s and such) Expert

Winner best lap time: 1:38.347

2nd place best lap time: 1:38.585

3rd place best lap time: 1:39.055

C Superstock(600cc I4 no real engine modes)

Winner best lap: 1:30.005

2nd place best lap: 1:33.968

3rd place best lap: 1:33.595

From California Speedway:

Super Motard Expert

Winner best lap: 1:58.190

Lightweight Superbike Expert

Winner best lap: 1:39.602

Now these will be full sized tracks, not go-cart tracks. If your talking strictly go-cart track, then yes a motard will probably do better than a full sized bike. But once you get any substantial straight aways the full sized bike will eat the motard.

dirt or gravel, dirt- probably the supermotard
u dont know what u r talkin bout

Streetbikes are no joke when it comes to speed. Long sweeping corners they can carry mucho speed. Sportbikes have low centers of gravity, typically have great brakes and excellent suspension for highspeed applications.

Some Streetbike riders will tell you that smaller or even older model 600's (f2/f3's & SV650s) can be just as fast as newer larger CC bikes under the right conditions and track.

It's all about power and being able to *use* that power.

You can probably tailor a race so that any bike you want to win can. If you make the track to small, maybe a minibike could actually win? I've owned a couple of steet bikes the last one being a 2004 crb1000rr. The acceleration on those bikes is incredible and they can take turns very well. You can't slide your back end around with your foot out like you can on a supermotard but it won't take much of a straightaway for the superbike to make that up and then some. Were talking 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. If you don't like the supermotard losing though, you could always throw in some jumps!

You can probably tailor a race so that any bike you want to win can. If you make the track to small, maybe a minibike could actually win? I've owned a couple of steet bikes the last one being a 2004 crb1000rr. The acceleration on those bikes is incredible and they can take turns very well. You can't slide your back end around with your foot out like you can on a supermotard but it won't take much of a straightaway for the superbike to make that up and then some. Were talking 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. If you don't like the supermotard losing though, you could always throw in some jumps!

Dont mislead anyone, you CAN slide any bike around! You just get to do it with your feet on the pegs and your knee touching the ground on the sportbike. The only advantage a motard has is lightweight, it will carry more corner speed. The infields are always dominated by light bikes. Do you want to go fast? Or race in a tight pack? Both are great fun. Actually I would say the closer the racing the more fun to be had. Motards are cheaper.

I agree you can slide any bike, but your not gonna slide a superbike or evena supersport like you can a supermotard. Your have roughly 100 lbs more plus the ergo's of the bike just don't lend themselves to doing this. Different courses for different horses.

I agree you can slide any bike, but your not gonna slide a superbike or evena supersport like you can a supermotard. Your have roughly 100 lbs more plus the ergo's of the bike just don't lend themselves to doing this. Different courses for different horses.
i agree

Watch the movie Faster. They talk about guys sliding into corners. But yes, its nothing like a motard backing it in.

I instruct at track days and until recently raced open superbike. Now and then we would get some SM guys at the big tracks, and it was interesting to see them slide around. In general though they ran 10-15 seconds off race pace.

On really tight corners (e.g. under 30 stuff), a SM should be faster. Also, on a kart track with lots of transitions a SM should flick over quicker. Sport bikes just aren't stable that slow, and they can't get much drive.

I think in general other's points were spot on. Under 30 on a liter bike and it's like lugging a trail bike. It's not really a fair comparison though.

In any condition other than the ultra tight stuff you're talking about though the SM would get killed. Our superbikes were pushing 200hp and under 400 lbs, against what? 70ish hp and 260lbs (with bad aeros)? Moreso, the high center of gravity and clearence allows corner speed that an SM cannot match on anything but the tightest of corners.

I don't think anecdotal comparisons are valid. There are a ton of squids on sportbikes that have no clue how to ride, whereas most SMs you see on the streets have a worthy pilot.

SMs are a blast, and in very small tracks they are one of the quicker ways to get around. Anything a sportbike can get out of 1st gear on though and its bye-bye SM.