Sign in to follow this  

Ride Report: Trona/Slate Range Loop

Hey everyone,

Completed the loop. Made a few scenic detours, extra legs, and wrong turns, but for the most part it was easy to navigate. Thank God for GPS, or we would have been sooo lost. We missed 1 waypoint leg on the way back from Balarat and had to ride on Trona Rd for a few miles, but picked up the loop again. The single track on the way back from Balarat was tons of fun!! That is the narrowest single track I have ever seen in a long time!!! It is the only trail in that area, so its easy to follow. And, to who ever advised me NOT to ride through the water in the dry lake bed of Panamint valley. I should have listend. I tried to wheelie across a 3ft wide puddle, with water that looked only 2" deep, but my rear wheel sunk in to the axle, and I was up to my shins in mud. Took both of us to pull my bike out.

Here's some photos from the trip:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/marnoult/Slate%20Range%20Loop/

Weather was great! Low 70s in the day, clear skies, light/med wind. Never saw a nother rider, but we saw lots of 4x'ers on the canyon trails near the cabins.

Total loop was 81 miles, and I just barely made it on 1 tank of gas. I hit reserve at 70 miles. Started at 9:30am, came back at 3:45pm. Did a lot of sight seeing, exploring and talking with the 4x'ers we met.

This area has soo much to see, and has so much untouched area. It was a magnifcant ride, and I wish we had more daylight and gas to explore more. We'll definately be comming back again to explore more, and bring extra gas too!

Ill post the GPS track on gpsexchange.com if anyone wants it.

Ill post the GPS track on gpsexchange.com if anyone wants it.

Great, thanks. This ride has been on my "to do" list for far too long. Hope to get out there before summer heat arrives.

R

81 miles would be pusin it for me i would definately have to carry fuel, looks like alot of fun though, cant wait to get out there and see some of that stuff

Great Trip!!

Thanks for the picture show. Yes, please post your track at the GPSExchange.com!

Where did you stage?

Later, :thumbsup:

Doug

We staged at Valley Wells rec area, which is about 1 mile north of the Trona Airport. But we could have staged in Panamint valley, I guess.

I posted the track and waypoints at:

http://gpsexchange.dyndns.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=367&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

But if you cannot download the track, then PM me and Ill email it to you.

wow,thanks for sharing! the mojave area has long been one of my favorite places because i never seem to run out of new spots to check out. this should be an inspiration to everyone complaining of overcrowded state parks to get out and find some new country. looks like i have a new place to plan a trip to! and just think, i spent four hours on a lawn tractor on saturday :thumbsup:

Matt, Great ride report and awesome pictures bud, I too had been looking at that route at gps exchange and want to do it also. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Matt,

Looks like you had a blast! I'll have to look at the pics at home since I'm on dial-up at work! :thumbsup: How did you like going up Pleasant Canyon with the water running down it? That area is a blast while the weather is nice but you'll want to stay away during the hot months.

You can stage at Ballarat and explore a lot of the area or have someone meet you at Ballarat with fuel for an extended trip. I've done it before and it's fun.

Hey DD, when you wanna do the loop? Have you dual sported your bike yet? If you have we can ride it from home! :thumbsup: Thanks for the report!

Excellent report! I love this area. I'm ready to go. I've been all over Panamint Valley but everytime I headed up Happy Canyon to try the loop the weather caused me to chicken out.

Matt,

Looks like you had a blast! I'll have to look at the pics at home since I'm on dial-up at work! :thumbsup: How did you like going up Pleasant Canyon with the water running down it? That area is a blast while the weather is nice but you'll want to stay away during the hot months.

You can stage at Ballarat and explore a lot of the area or have someone meet you at Ballarat with fuel for an extended trip. I've done it before and it's fun.

Hey DD, when you wanna do the loop? Have you dual sported your bike yet? If you have we can ride it from home! :thumbsup: Thanks for the report!

Hey Jeff,

We actually went down Pleasant Canyon, there was 2-3 inches of water in/on the trail (or next to it) from Clair Camp almost to the bottom. We went up South Park Cyn, past Colter Spring, then turned north towards Pleasant Canyon, made wrong turn back towards Panamint valley, then found our way to Pleasant Cyn. The whole loop was awesome!! A good mix of all types of riding. Even the 2-track 4x roads in the canyons were tough,rocky, and FUN! It would have been fun to go up Pleasant in all the water, maybe next time.

We loved the great views from the tops of the canyons, and the single track section back towards Trona was a blast!! I was laughing to myself the whole time because I would have never found that section with out the map or GPS. Like a secret single track loop for members only! Thanks to you for the info and navigation tips. Next time we might stage closer Ballarat to be closer to the mountain trails/roads. Sooo much to explore, and lots of cool California history over there! Im going back for sure!!!

Matt,

I just looked at the pics and they were great, thanks for sharing. I've done the South Park Canyon to Pleasant Canyon loop before and it was fun. How did you like the overlook where you can see the back of Stripped Butte? Cool view of the valley below.

Jeff

Matt, I just came upon the post as I was looking for another place to ride. What kinde of gps (c 60?) and motorcycle mount are you using here? Thanks:worthy:

Matt, I just came upon the post as I was looking for another place to ride. What kinde of gps (c 60?) and motorcycle mount are you using here? Thanks:worthy:

I use a Magellan, SporTrak Pro GPS.

It is mounted in a modified Magellan cradel, which ishard mounted to my bar clamp. It just runs on it's own batteries, but I have seen GPS's connected to the bike's 12v battery via modified car cigarette plug.

BigMatt,

I've spent a lot of time riding Death Valley. I go a couple times a year for a week or so and pass right through Trona. That whole area looks like good riding I just live so far away. It takes me 6 hours to get to Jawbone which I went for the first time last week. I want to explore more of that area this spring. The next time you go out there I would like to hook up. :lol:

Hey Jeff,

We actually went down Pleasant Canyon, there was 2-3 inches of water in/on the trail (or next to it) from Clair Camp almost to the bottom. We went up South Park Cyn, past Colter Spring, then turned north towards Pleasant Canyon, made wrong turn back towards Panamint valley, then found our way to Pleasant Cyn. The whole loop was awesome!! A good mix of all types of riding. Even the 2-track 4x roads in the canyons were tough,rocky, and FUN! It would have been fun to go up Pleasant in all the water, maybe next time.

We loved the great views from the tops of the canyons, and the single track section back towards Trona was a blast!! I was laughing to myself the whole time because I would have never found that section with out the map or GPS. Like a secret single track loop for members only! Thanks to you for the info and navigation tips. Next time we might stage closer Ballarat to be closer to the mountain trails/roads. Sooo much to explore, and lots of cool California history over there! Im going back for sure!!!

Is that telephone pole bridge still on the south park canyon road? It was just above the BLM cabins if I recall. We went up that in a pick up once ~ never again! :lol:

There is so much to explore out there. I have been in every canyon from Hall Canyon to Goler Wash. I haven't been out to Panamint Valley in awhile. I need to go out there for another run. Glad you had fun.

Is that telephone pole bridge still on the south park canyon road? It was just above the BLM cabins if I recall. We went up that in a pick up once ~ never again! :lol:

Yes, it is still there and holding up very well with all the use it gets. I took a soil sample there when my bike stalled the last time I was up there :confused:

Hey Russ, how you doing? Did you get your bike street legal yet? Call me at work, I just left you a message on your cell.