Sign in to follow this  

450X is killing me

I purchased 05 450x this thing is a tinker toy. overheat problems, engine sounds like cheap watch, head pipe blue all the way back to slip on. The guys I ride with says its jetting. The only things I have done is opened the exhaust a little and put on a white bro mix screw which hits the top of the starter. I NEED HELP. I bought Honda so I can ride not spend my whole life trying to fix a brand new bike. :thumbsup:

It is jetted to lean. If you get the JD jet kit that is the easiest way to fix it.

No I have not. How do I know what to change to. Do you know anything about pink wire mod and air box?

You screwed up your bike, its not Honda fault. Learn how to search the site for proper jetting-its one of the most common threads here, as is posts like yours, "hey I screwed up my bike, Honda must be crap". And the X is a pretty popular bike here, so its owners like me might be a little defensive, especially on rookie errors. Here's my 2 cents:

Open air box

JD jetting kit

Twin air or other air filter kit

Baffle mod or exhaust

Adjust suspension properly

These mods will greatly enhance the bike and its overall power and feel.

Report back after the mods-I bet you will be happy.

N-1

your right i screwed my bike up by taking for first ride with it poping pissing anti freeze al over the ground ass. This bike has had its problems from the gate. yes I'm a rookie but three out of my 4 bikes are honda.

Ok the anti-freeze thing has me curious-where/how/why was it dumping anti-freeze-out of the overflow tank? How/when?

first time I rode went about 1/2 mile stoped and it started dumping out of over flow. This bike has always ran hot which suprised me because it has a raditor. It also has always popped badly on deceleration. I hear people say mod the air box but what does that mean?, I also hear pink wire mod where do you find that info? The mistake I made was not buying a Honda it was buying a race machine when I thought I was buying a trail bike. :thumbsup:

first time I rode went about 1/2 mile stoped and it started dumping out of over flow. This bike has always ran hot which suprised me because it has a raditor. It also has always popped badly on deceleration. I hear people say mod the air box but what does that mean?, I also hear pink wire mod where do you find that info? The mistake I made was not buying a Honda it was buying a race machine when I thought I was buying a trail bike. :thumbsup:

These are all symptoms of lean jetting. Yes, it sucks that you have to play with the carb on a new bike to get it to run right, but Honda made it that way so that you Cali guys can get your green sticker.

Again, there is a lot of info on these subjects. Id say buy the jet kit or do some research.

Got my first ride today on my new X. All the mods, sans the pink wire, were done. 162 Main, Stock pilot, Needle on the 4th notch from top. Air screw 1.5 turns out. riding at 2,200 Feet at about 85 Degrees. I couldnt have asked for a better first ride. I put about 30 easy miles on her to get her broken in. By the end of the 30 miles i gave her some throttle, and damn. This bike hauls ass. I couldnt be happier!!!!!

Got my first ride today on my new X. All the mods, sans the pink wire, were done. 162 Main, Stock pilot, Needle on the 4th notch from top. Air screw 1.5 turns out. riding at 2,200 Feet at about 85 Degrees. I couldnt have asked for a better first ride. I put about 30 easy miles on her to get her broken in. By the end of the 30 miles i gave her some throttle, and damn. This bike hauls ass. I couldnt be happier!!!!!

Exactly!

The more you ride the more you'll love it!....

Since you just bought a new bike can't the dealer do some "good will" service for you? Just a thought in case you don't want to tear into it yourself right away.

I went riding a few weeks back and a guy let me ride his 2005 CRF450, not sure if it was the "x" or "r" model but all I can say is that thing ran like a f'n champ! Real sweet bike. Made my 125 2-smoke feel like a toy in comparison (though I do like the light weight 2smokes :thumbsup: ).

It's never a good thing to have to mess with a new bike but as I see it you have two options.

1. Bitch about it.

2. Fix it and be happy.

The less time you spend on #1 the more time you'll have for #2. You probably don't wanna hear that but again, it's just a thought. Good luck, hope you get things sorted out and start enjoying the ride soon.

I had something of a similar expericnce. My bike wouldn't even start! Thanks to TT CRF fourm, I found out about the problem and ordered the JD Jet kit, I had never jetted a bike before and knew nothing about it. I followed the directions exactly. What a difference!!! I just competed an 85 mile desert race, no problems now. DinoDRZ said it right, don't let the bike idle, you can go from stone cold to boiling in about 5 minutes, especially with the overly lean stock jetting.

Also, I use 15w-50 Maxum4 Extra Oil on both sides if the temperature is above 40 deg. F. It got rid of alot of the valve noise, and I think is one of the best oils available.

OK, you have got a lot of good advice so far-I forgot to mention take that piece of crap fuel screw and get rid of it-CRF's only and XR's only both sell shorter screws just for the X that clear the starter. I got the CRF's screw with a t-handle its works perfectly. Try CRF's only-great service, 1 day delivery in So Cal, decent prices, (but not always the lowest). Do the airbox mod, fuel screw,(again), use JD kit, take the smog crap off, you will have a different bike. More low and mid range, top still strong or stronger. Pink wire mod raises the rev limiter, thats all. If you are screaming it, and probably even if you don't it doesn't do much-the bike is already passing top power as it hits the limiter. CRF's only will set you up with the JD kit, fuel screw, and smog block off kit. To re-jet the bike takes about an hour, tops, less after the first time-best thing about the JD kit-there will probably only be one time to get it right. Smog kit about 30 minutes. It will transform the bike-you'll see.

N-1

Bone stock, open the screw a little on bottom of carb. Not sure of your location i live TN most riding is less than 1000ft above sea level may be jetting. My 05 450x runs fine!

You've gotten some good advice, all off-road (not mx) thumpers come too lean, and if you do this your bike will RUN COOLER, faster, cleaner,start easier, won't bog, all for about 70 bucks and one hour of work :

BOTH THESE MODS GET DONE SIMULTANEOUSLY OR DON'T BOTHER :

http://crfsonly.com/howto/450x/airbox/crf450x-how-to-mod-airbox.php

http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/112/products_id/1093

This'll help you when you install the kit :Print it and take it to the garage-

http://crfsonly.com/howto/450x/jetting/crf450x-how-to-jet-needle.php

Got a California bike ? If you do, this is not optional, if you don't have a California bike don't sweat it.

http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/84/products_id/1044

Here's the excellent fuel screw he mentioned,good advice there. It makes adjustmenrts so much easier.

http://crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/138_147/products_id/1333

No amount of tinkering with the fuel screw puts this bike anywhere near it's potential, maybe a little better but still strangled. Trust us, we've been there.

Dozens on this site will agree, the fix is cheap and easy, it's a great bike but is impossibly lean as delivered. When you get it dialed it'll stay dialed and you'l be all smiles. Doug

The overheat problem is an easy fix. Try changing the radiator cap. My 05 bike had 25 miles on it, with no mods. Bike started overheating about three minutes after I started it. Took it back to Honda Dealer, at first they said you have to ride this bike as soon as you start it, because it does not have electric fan. Fortunately for me, a more experienced tech came out and switched the radiator cap. That was it. No more problems with overheating since then. As for the other problems your having, see what the other 450X owners have done. This forum is a great place for answers. I have learned alot from this forum. Good Luck.