Chit, think I just ruined a brand new Yoshi exhaust!

Can't get the M$#%er F#$%er on to save my life. Can't get the pipe on far enough to get the screw in at the rear set. So I took the rear set off, bolted it to the exhuast and then bolted the first bolt on and kinda sorta forced the other side up so I could bolt it on. Ripped the screw right out with the threading that's welded to the exhaust pipe! Son of a. Knew I shoulda just paid someone. How the hell did you guys get this thing to fit. I also can't tell if the head pipe on correctly either, nevermind trying to tighten the bolts. There's ZERO way to get a hex wrench in those bolts and turn them radiator is in the way.

So frustrated I want to smash something....

well you said it - the radiator is in the way. What you have to do is detach the radiator from the frame. Tie a piece of string around your handlebars and the top of the rad guard (or plasic deflectors) to get it out of the way. Next, with a extension and the hex bit you will be able to get at the bolts.

You might be having issues because you've tightened everything a little much before trying to solve any fitment issues. My advices is work from the header back. Once you have that on (while still relatively loose) start working your way back to the can.

Don't worry we'll get you through it just take a breather :thumbsup:

well you said it - the radiator is in the way. What you have to do is detach the radiator from the frame. Tie a piece of string around your handlebars and the top of the rad guard (or plasic deflectors) to get it out of the way. Next, with a extension and the hex bit you will be able to get at the bolts.

You might be having issues because you've tightened everything a little much before trying to solve any fitment issues. My advices is work from the header back. Once you have that on (while still relatively loose) start working your way back to the can.

Don't worry we'll get you through it just take a breather :thumbsup:

Man, I just need the two pipes to slide together like 1/4 of an inch. It simple won't slide on anymore. I even tried some wd40 on it to make 'em slippery. 1/2 break before I lose my temper... will retry.

What do you mean by extension. I have those L shaped hex wrenchs. Sorry for the newb questions I'm pretty new at working on my own bikes....

What do you mean by extension. I have those L shaped hex wrenchs. Sorry for the newb questions I'm pretty new at working on my own bikes....

Ideally you'll want to be using a torque wrench so that you can get the proper tightness on the header. By extension i mean just a conventional extension so that you can get the wrench out of the tight area.

I would suggest instead of making everything try to fit that extra 1/2 inch - start from scratch.

First i'm not sure exactly what part of the system is not fitting. Is it the mid-pipe to header connection or the midpipe to can connection?

Regardless, what you'll want to do is loosen everything right up and start from the header. With the rad out of the way you can start tightening the hex bolts. Tighten them a little but make sure that you have some wiggle room. From there work your way back and connect the midpipe. At this stage if you have the can connected to the other end of the midpipe and the can is fixed there is no way that you will be able to twist the midpipe into the sleeve. Once the header is connected to the midpipe continue backward and put in the frame bolts and can clamp.

Patience, take it slow and steady.

First are you sure you have the correct system, you are not trying to fit an S system to an E, or the other way round :thumbsup:

The inner header bolt can be tightened with a normal but long Allen key, that is all I used.

I did not remove or loosen the radiator either.

Start with the header, first make sure the gasket is in place, then fit the header loosely.

Next the mid pipe, slip it on to the header and get the footrest mounting started, but not tight.

Then the can, fit the can bracket, it slides along the can so you can put it where you like, either line it up with the standard mounting hole, or use the one next to it, if that is easier.

When you have it all on, you can move it about till it is where you want it.

Start tightening the mountings starting at the header and work your way back.

Neil. :thumbsup::confused::bonk:

are ypu trying to put an "E" pipe on an "S"? I beleive there is a fitment issue with the bolt holes not lining up correctly.

other than that. I "loose fit" everything when installing mine. Leave the bolts loose enought to give everything some movment. attach the header then attach the mid pipe I used a gentle twisting motion and it went right on.

now, for the Braze on... there are these inserts you can get at the hardware store. you drill out the hole, stick the insert in, and the use a special fitting and a bolt to "crimp" the insert into place. they come in steel or aluminum, and are only a couple bucks.

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

First are you sure you have the correct system, you are not trying to fit an S system to an E, or the other way round :thumbsup:

The inner header bolt can be tightened with a normal but long Allen key, that is all I used.

I did not remove or loosen the radiator either.

Start with the header, first make sure the gasket is in place, then fit the header loosely.

Next the mid pipe, slip it on to the header and get the footrest mounting started, but not tight.

Then the can, fit the can bracket, it slides along the can so you can put it where you like, either line it up with the standard mounting hole, or use the one next to it, if that is easier.

When you have it all on, you can move it about till it is where you want it.

Start tightening the mountings starting at the header and work your way back.

Neil. :thumbsup::bonk::bonk:

It seems like it's simply not humanly possible. It's the right system instrutions says it's for an S. I mean the pipes slide right together off the bike. On the bike, utterly impossible. You can't twist it, not enough room. I have the head pipe real loose. Feel like I'm gonna do damage to where it goes into the engine from so much twisting and banging. I took the whole thing apart. Still can't locate any gasket. Unless they paint it or something. I'm really leary of digging around in there with a screw driver. Feel like i'm destroying my bike just trying to put this thing on?

Anyone in S FL wanna get paid 80/hr to help me do the exhaust and carb. NO way i'm trying the carb if I can't get this thing on. :confused:

It seems like it's simply not humanly possible. It's the right system instrutions says it's for an S. I mean the pipes slide right together off the bike. On the bike, utterly impossible. You can't twist it, not enough room. I have the head pipe real loose. Feel like I'm gonna do damage to where it goes into the engine from so much twisting and banging. I took the whole thing apart. Still can't locate any gasket. Unless they paint it or something. I'm really leary of digging around in there with a screw driver. Feel like i'm destroying my bike just trying to put this thing on?

Anyone in S FL wanna get paid 80/hr to help me do the exhaust and carb. NO way i'm trying the carb if I can't get this thing on. :thumbsup:

:confused:

too bad I'm not home, I'd help ya out. Where in S. FL are you? maybe your close to DonO or one of the other SE TT'rs. if you really need help that badly, go to the SE forum and see who bites. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

too bad I'm not home, I'd help ya out. Where in S. FL are you? maybe your close to DonO or one of the other SE TT'rs. if you really need help that badly, go to the SE forum and see who bites. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking maybe if I tighten up the head pipe so it doesn't move it will give me the extra 1/4 inch I need to get the bolt in by the rear set. I can see a 1/4 of the screw hole! I'm soooo close it just won't move that last bit. Maybe if I tighten the head it will scoot the pipe up the other 1/4 inch.

I'm thinking maybe if I tighten up the head pipe so it doesn't move it will give me the extra 1/4 inch I need to get the bolt in by the rear set. I can see a 1/4 of the screw hole! I'm soooo close it just won't move that last bit. Maybe if I tighten the head it will scoot the pipe up the other 1/4 inch.

I'm in Boynton Beach, FL. Glad to pay someone to show me the ropes. I will try dropping a note in the SE section too.

THanks.

You can't twist it, not enough room. I have the head pipe real loose. Feel like I'm gonna do damage to where it goes into the engine from so much twisting and banging. I took the whole thing apart. Still can't locate any gasket. Unless they paint it or something. I'm really leary of digging around in there with a screw driver. Feel like i'm destroying my bike just trying to put this thing on?

Just take it slow! If you can't locate any gasket whatsoever on the old header its just stuck to the engine and can be reused (or is what I did anyway) Tighten the header so its won't move around when you try put the midpipe on. When you say you can't twist it because there isn't enough room, i'm not sure I understand. With the header tight take the midpipe (make sure that its not connected to the frame bolt or can or anything) and just twist in back and forward until it slides into the sleeve all the way.

Don't let this stuff get you down. These are the trails and tribulations of working on your bike. But just think how much satisfaction there will be when YOU get it done :thumbsup:

As for the 3x3 mod, its nice and straight forward and Neil and I have been working on a post that will be able to guide you through it step by step so don't worry, you'll get it in the end. :thumbsup::confused:

Just take it slow! If you can't locate any gasket whatsoever on the old header its just stuck to the engine and can be reused (or is what I did anyway) Tighten the header so its won't move around when you try put the midpipe on. When you say you can't twist it because there isn't enough room, i'm not sure I understand. With the header tight take the midpipe (make sure that its not connected to the frame bolt or can or anything) and just twist in back and forward until it slides into the sleeve all the way.

Don't let this stuff get you down. These are the trails and tribulations of working on your bike. But just think how much satisfaction there will be when YOU get it done :thumbsup:

As for the 3x3 mod, its nice and straight forward and Neil and I have been working on a post that will be able to guide you through it step by step so don't worry, you'll get it in the end. :thumbsup::confused:

I did the 3x3 mod. I was like wow, working on my bike is gonna be easy! LOL.

My hands are all cut to hell. Pretty funny. I really really appreciatte the replies. This place is my only resource.

I did the 3x3 mod. I was like wow, working on my bike is gonna be easy! LOL.

My hands are all cut to hell. Pretty funny. I really really appreciatte the replies. This place is my only resource.

I have part #2165500-SA for the Suzuki 2000-2004 DR-Z400SY.

That should fit on a 2006 DRZ 400SM correct. Maybe it's the wrong one. I can't get that other 1/4 inch no matter what. I even tried disconnecting everything else and screwing that bolt in. Then I can't attach it to the header. Time to give up and go the dealership at least if they **** it all up they are responsible. Wonder how loud it will be no exhaust..... Can I ride it with nothing the but the whole in the header? I've got 7 hours in so far and it simply won't slide on the extra 1/4 inch while on the bike. I'm suprised nobody else had this issue.

Brian

Can you put up some Pics so we can see if you've made a mistake somewhere........I know it's not likely, but pics help! :thumbsup:

I still think that taking it to the stealer is a bit drastic. You got a run of bad luck; it happens. I'm nobody special, but i did manage to do it myself and this is my first bike. I had my fair share of problems mind you; I couldn't for the life of me get my rad guards and header to get proper clearance. Long story short - i'm running my rad guards without the lower support bar until I can use my buddies dremel to enlarge the holes for it. Sometimes it helps to let it sit and attack it with renew vigour the next day. :thumbsup:

Next time you have at er' start with the basics like we've mentioned. Header on tight- take the midpipe in you hands (it has to be unconnected from the rest of the system in order to get range of motion) and twist that sucker into the sleeve. If it is only a 1/4 inch away from the bolt hole lining up it must be that your just haven't been able to twist the midpipe into the sleeve all the way.

Like I said take a breather (and maybe some pics of the problem) and we'll get you through this the best we can :thumbsup:

I have part #2165500-SA for the Suzuki 2000-2004 DR-Z400SY.

That should fit on a 2006 DRZ 400SM correct. Maybe it's the wrong one. I can't get that other 1/4 inch no matter what. I even tried disconnecting everything else and screwing that bolt in. Then I can't attach it to the header. Time to give up and go the dealership at least if they **** it all up they are responsible. Wonder how loud it will be no exhaust..... Can I ride it with nothing the but the whole in the header? I've got 7 hours in so far and it simply won't slide on the extra 1/4 inch while on the bike. I'm suprised nobody else had this issue.

Brian

Yes it is the right part number, lets hope the right part was in the box.

Just an outside chance.

Don't know what Yosh quality control is like, but is it possible that the header is 1/4 too long :thumbsup:

Don't go chopping it off yet.

Take the header and mid pipe off, and assemble on the floor, measure and make sure it is right in.

Mark the header, and then try fitting on the bike.

Take a few pics and let us see them before you get the hacksaw out.

I only mention this, as the header on my FMF system was 1/8" to long :confused:

Neil. :thumbsup::bonk::bonk:

hey muahman does your pipe say off road on the side? because im having the same godamn problem!!!! i have the same part number as you and everything!! i got a ? to everyone....should i have a long screen or a short screen in my pipe? the spark arrest. i have a long one and the pic in the instuctions shows a short one. thanx.....

Can you put up some Pics so we can see if you've made a mistake somewhere........I know it's not likely, but pics help! :thumbsup:

Sure!

Here you can see the damn rear set bolt that is causing all the problems. I just can't get the mide pipe on far enough to reach this damn hole! GRRRR :thumbsup:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/5096/exh40gx.jpg

and here it is from a different angle

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exh56ip.jpg

Here's the header pipe going into the header. As you can see it's not tightened.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/2812/exh32jq.jpg

Another angle.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6783/exh16gr.jpg

I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. The pipes are so tight together it takes a lot to twist the the pipes to try and get it on further. You can only wiggle it while on like 1/2 inch either way. I'm open to any ideas....

Thanks

hey muahman does your pipe say off road on the side? because im having the same godamn problem!!!! i have the same part number as you and everything!! i got a ? to everyone....should i have a long screen or a short screen in my pipe? the spark arrest. i have a long one and the pic in the instuctions shows a short one. thanx.....

yeah, it says Off Road, and something about a Spark Arrestor. OMG it's so maddening 'cause i'm GD close! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I can't even get enough torque twist to get it back apart to try and mark it like someone suggested..... I'm strugglin mightily. LOL

I put an Arata on my CBR in like 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

That is exactly what I was thinking.