Pop Up Toy Hauler

Anyone ever seen one of these or have one? They seem rugged and I can pull it with an F150 with two more bikes onboard? I'm seriously considering one like this except silver colored and would like opinions. I don't want a hardsided toyhauler because they are too much$$, plus I'd need to replace the tow vehicle as well. I'd appreciate input?

evo2upside2.jpg

evo2down.jpg

evo2upside1.jpg

evo2floorplan.jpg

I've seen them. I was worried about tounge weight being too high.

I've seen them. I was worried about tounge weight being too high.

The dealer told me you can get a wieght distribution anti-sway bar that goes on the hitch which transfers wieght foward to the front wheels and makes this easy to pull down the highway. It also has electric brakes which should make it stop well.

cool idea but its still a tent.. sleepless nights when the wind picks up. cold even with the heater. and then theres set up time.. lots of work

Once you have had it and used it, you wont buy another one!

cool idea but its still a tent.. sleepless nights when the wind picks up. cold even with the heater. and then theres set up time.. lots of work

So true, we have a friend with something like this. The wind was blowing all day and night. It sucked trying to sleep in it. Buy a super lite toy hauler. You can get a few that your truck would have no problem with. You will be so much happier.

check out this 1 from weekend warrior. you will have no trouble towing any of the ww superlites trailes... i was towing the fs2300 23footer with my 1500 yukon. no problems..

http://www.warriormfg.com/supercross-frame.htm

I live in Florida and the wind isn't a problem unless there's a hurricane. Ussually no wind in the summer evenings. And there is only one temperature and that is hot. That's why I'd have the A/C. I normally tent camp now.

Do you know of any hard sided toy haulers with a GVWR of about 4500 lbs. (trailer and payload) Trailer would have to be about 3500lbs. dry.

I think my F150 is only good for 5500lbs.

Any links would be appreciated. Thanks. Keep the input coming.

check out this 1 from weekend warrior. you will have no trouble towing any of the ww superlites trailes... i was towing the fs2300 23footer with my 1500 yukon. no problems..

http://www.warriormfg.com/supercross-frame.htm

That looks really nice. Do you pull that in the mountains in California with a 1500 Yukon? The unloaded wieght appear to be around 4,000lbs. Put my three bikes and the 4 wheeler in, I would be pushing the limits?

How much does something like that cost?

i could tow all that plus some with my truck..i got a 2002 F-250 Diesel..4 door and a 8ft bed..it will haul anything without ever stumbling..we used to tow our 30ft camping trailer and still got 17mpg! but were looking into a one of those weekend warriors now..or just a hard sided race trailer..not sure yet

Pop ups are OK, you will really be hating it when you get somewhere and it is raining and you have to set it up. Not as bad as a tent but still takes some time.

I did the pop-up thing for about a year going to enduros, and it sure beats a tent since you have a stove, heater, water etc....

Still, I ended up with a hybrid toyhauler:

073.jpg

It has a pull out tent in the front too.

Easier than the pop-up to set up and my bikes are inside while hauling.

Still, probably need a diesel to tow it though.

Thor makes a smaller 19' hybrid that is similar that you can tow with a 1/2 ton truck. You can find them used probably for about what you are going to pay for that pop-up toy hauler. ($8-$9000) The hybrids have a lot more room inside once you are set up since the beds don't take up any interior room.

Just something to think about.

Anyway, if it came down to a choice between a pop-up and a tent, I'd take the pop-up.

That looks really nice. Do you pull that in the mountains in California with a 1500 Yukon? The unloaded wieght appear to be around 4,000lbs. Put my three bikes and the 4 wheeler in, I would be pushing the limits?

How much does something like that cost?

yes i pull it everywhere.. that sx is only 18 feet.. mine is 23 feet.. your f150 should have a tow rating of around 7500lbs.. dont go by what the hitch says. your hitch probably says 500 tounge 5000 towing. with the weight dist set up those numbers jump to 1000 tounge and 10,000 towing. check your owners manual for the total weight your truck can tow... the rating might also be in the door jam.

Pop ups are OK, you will really be hating it when you get somewhere and it is raining and you have to set it up. Not as bad as a tent but still takes some time.

I did the pop-up thing for about a year going to enduros, and it sure beats a tent since you have a stove, heater, water etc....

Still, I ended up with a hybrid toyhauler:

073.jpg

It has a pull out tent in the front too.

Easier than the pop-up to set up and my bikes are inside while hauling.

Still, probably need a diesel to tow it though.

Thor makes a smaller 19' hybrid that is similar that you can tow with a 1/2 ton truck. You can find them used probably for about what you are going to pay for that pop-up toy hauler. ($8-$9000) The hydrind have a lot more room inside once you are set up since the beds don't take up any interior room.

Just something to think about.

Anyway, if it came down to a choice between a pop-up and a tent, I'd take the pop-up.

Thanks for the input... This would be a step up from tent camping for me. It only takes 5-10min max to set up. The hybrid looks interesting. I'm going to check that out.

yes i pull it everywhere.. that sx is only 18 feet.. mine is 23 feet.. your f150 should have a tow rating of around 7500lbs.. dont go by what the hitch says. your hitch probably says 500 tounge 5000 towing. with the weight dist set up those numbers jump to 1000 tounge and 10,000 towing. check your owners manual for the total weight your truck can tow... the rating might also be in the door jam.

I think the manual says only 5,500lbs trailer wieght. It's a V6.

Thanks for the input... This would be a step up from tent camping for me. It only takes 5-10min max to set up. The hybrid looks interesting. I'm going to check that out.

This is like what I am talking about (but it is new) used ones should be less.

I think they make a 20' also.

http://www.rvtrader.com/rvdetail270931.htm

I think the manual says only 5,500lbs trailer wieght. It's a V6.

that was going to be my next question... good luck on the hunt... check out carson trailers.. they make a 14' toyhauler called rebel.. its 3200lb dry and has a gvrw of 7,000.. your not going to find much.. trade in the truck.. theres one trailer that was intresting that i saw but i forgot who it was by... the front part was a normal tt and the back was a flatbed for the bikes. and it was like 18' long..

Anyone ever seen one of these or have one? They seem rugged and I can pull it with an F150 with two more bikes onboard? I'm seriously considering one like this except silver colored and would like opinions. I don't want a hardsided toyhauler because they are too much$$, plus I'd need to replace the tow vehicle as well. I'd appreciate input?

evo2upside2.jpg

evo2down.jpg

evo2upside1.jpg

evo2floorplan.jpg

Thats a pretty cool idea... what kinda price are ya lookin at for that?

As for all the folks bashin popup campers... Sounds like they're just spoiled. Popups are great, when I was younger my family put about 150,000 miles on a old coleman popup. If you're normally camping in a tent, then a popup will be like a hotel to ya :thumbsup:

This is like what I am talking about (but it is new) used ones should be less.

I think they make a 20' also.

http://www.rvtrader.com/rvdetail270931.htm

Thanks! That looks very interesting.

Thats a pretty cool idea... what kinda price are ya lookin at for that?

As for all the folks bashin popup campers... Sounds like they're just spoiled. Popups are great, when I was younger my family put about 150,000 miles on a old coleman popup. If you're normally camping in a tent, then a popup will be like a hotel to ya :thumbsup:

It is about $10,000. I like tent campers too. They are great in Florida.

I've had both. Tent Trailers are great. Tow like nothing, you can drag them up the nastiest roads (even better with a spring-over swap). Nice to sleep in, dry in the worst storms and big enough inside to get you riding gear on without being a contortionist. You do have to treat them like tents as far as the temperature, just bring the right sleeping bag. BUT, when you wake up, flip on the furnace and it's toasty inside in 5 minutes. Four people inside playing poker is enough heat to keep it warm on chilly evenings without the furnace.

All that being said, I do have a toy-hauler now (and the requisite 40K truck to pull it :thumbsup: ), but there is nothing wrong with tent trailers.

Looking at the pics, a weight dist hitch would be required there, otherwise your tongue weight would be near 50%. Best to make sure your truck payload and receiver are up to the task.