Sign in to follow this  

I'm so ****ing pissed!

I bought my bike used, and the guy who had it before me must think he has to tighten everything as TIGHT AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE! Every single bolt and screw has been tightened so much that its almost impossible to remove. And now I just rounded off the head of one of the sprocket bolts. :thumbsup: They are hex heads and I was using the exact size tool, which shows how much force I had to use to actually strip one of those things. Even the little screws on the plastic chain guard were tightened to the max. Guess what, stripped those too. So I grabbed a crobar and broke that little plastic ****er off. Now I have to figure out what I'm gonna do about that bolt. FAWK!!! :thumbsup:

drill it. problem solved.

I'm gonna see if I can avoid that. I'm actually more pissed at the fact that the guy tightened everything so much, even the little insignificant things. Stupid people, I swear. :thumbsup:

Try using an impact driver. They work well in those situations where the smack and small turn tend to break it loose without the constant force it takes to strip the bolt. On that stripped out hex head, take a dremel tool with a grind pad and make a screw driver slot and use the impact driver to break it free.

would you rather bought it and had every bolt and nut loose, and the bike just didn't feel "tight".

i have people ride my bike all the time and they say it feels like its off the showroom floor. thats because about once a month i strip it down, grease it, and tighten everything.

at least it shows the bike was maintained well

Get some of this stuff http://www.pbblaster.com/store/ and spray it on all the bolts that you want to get off. Let it sit overnight and then try again. Also about your sprocket bolts, here is a link that sells replacement sprocket nuts and bolts for a fraction of what it costs OEM. I wish I had known about this product when I had to replace all the sprocket bolts and nuts on my KX125. I bought them OEM and it cost me $52!

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9503&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&webTypeId=117&navType=type

Are you using six point sockets? Twelve point tools round bolts off quick.

I'm gonna see if I can avoid that. I'm actually more pissed at the fact that the guy tightened everything so much, even the little insignificant things. Stupid people, I swear. :thumbsup:

Why, at least for the sprocket bolt?

The bolt is ruined anyway, just drill the top out of it (don't drill through the bolt,through the sprocket and through the hub though) and put a new one in there.

Problem solved in about 10 minutes instead of screwing around and wasting a couple of hours.

....Which reinforces my theory that stupid people should not be allowed to own nice things. The guys who had my bike before me had that same complex.... only since my bike is all aluminium I have stripped and broken things all over the place.

....Which reinforces my theory that stupid people should not be allowed to own nice things. The guys who had my bike before me had that same complex.... only since my bike is all aluminium I have stripped and broken things all over the place.

EXACTLY.

BTW, a few minutes after I started this thread, I broke an open end wrench IN HALF on the nut that screws onto the sprocket bolt. That just made my day. :thumbsup: All I wanted to do was put on a new sprocket and chain. Can't wait to try and get the front sprocket off, I better start looking for something to use for a breaker bar!

maybe he was being safe and used locktight

I use it on everything

who would be so stupid to tighten everything as tight as he could, idiotos
i would dont vall me an idioto

EXACTLY.

BTW, a few minutes after I started this thread, I broke an open end wrench IN HALF on the nut that screws onto the sprocket bolt. That just made my day. :thumbsup: All I wanted to do was put on a new sprocket and chain. Can't wait to try and get the front sprocket off, I better start looking for something to use for a breaker bar!

How did you strip the bolt? 12pt or 6pt sockets. Always use 6pt, even when it is uncomfortable to do so. 12pt strips.

And now you have a broken wrench? What brand of tools are you using. I can bang on my wrench with my 5lb sledge hammer and it will never break.

Never, ever, ever use an open end wrench on anything. Open end wrenches always reshape your bolt, which causes the stripping of the bolt

On your stuck bolt, use an impact driver. If not, then get a small chisel and dig it into the side of the bolt. Lightly tap it with a hammer. The chisel will cut into the bolt and get it to turn. Then replace the bolt..

its posible that the guy tightened all these bolts up tight when the weather was cold, then when it warmed up the bolts expanded etc. ive seen that happen b4.

who would be so stupid to tighten everything as tight as he could, idiotos

My uncle has a habit of tightening everything to the point of breakage. One time I was loading up after a ride and for some reason he came over to help me sinch the bike down after my cousin's stuff was loaded. I told him I didn't need or want his help but he stayed anyways. He pull the tie down so hard that 1) the tiedown almost ripped and 2) the fork was compressed to where the fender was almost touching the tire. Shortly after I told the son of a bitch to go take a hike.