Just finished Loc-Tit'n the CS nut...

Alright I just finished Loc-Tite'n the CS nut on my '06 S (300 miles) and holy $hit was it a bitch to loosen.

I don't know how that thing would ever come loose under normal riding conditions. I had my wife stand on the rear brake while I used a 4' breaker bar and the rear brakes would not even keep the rear wheel from moving.

Because she doesn't weigh as much as myself, I ultimately had to take the bike off the stand, sit on it, hold the rear pedal and use my left leg to force the breaker bar down....snap! Finally!

So I performed the recommeded blue Loc-Tite procedure (j/k used red) and put everything back together and re-torqued to 80 ft lbs. Seemed a heck of lot easier to tighten to those specs than to loosen from whatever it was torqued at by the factory. Does that seem right? Also my "re-bend" of the lock washer was NOT all the pretty. I essentially got it started by prying with a small blade screw driver then gently tapped the screw driver with a hammer along the edge of the washer until it was flush against the nut. Was beat to all hell after that though. Guess it doesn't matter as long as it's flush against the nut???

Jered

Sorry guys what is the CS nut?

The front sprocket, known as the counter shaft sprocket.

I have a routine when I switch from road riding (the 15 tooth sprocket) to the smaller 14 tooth unit. I bought a small 2 jaw gear puller and pop the sprocket off using an old socket to buffer the point on the gear puller so not to damage the shaft. I chip away the old red loctite and apply a new coat, put a hammer on the swing arm to stop the rear wheel and tighten that sucker back down. I bought a bunch of the retaining washers when I worked at a Kawasaki dealer. ?

DRZ newby listening in, supposedly there is a nut (including myself) that needs to be locktited and torqued to 80lbs, what is the CS (camshaft? chain sprocket?) nut? I've got an 06', so can one of y'all clue me in? I'm changing my 15tooth oem to a 14 (and 47rear) so this might be the time....

Or I could be completely wrong....sorry for the dork ??'s

DRZ newby listening in, supposedly there is a nut (including myself) that needs to be locktited and torqued to 80lbs, what is the CS (camshaft? chain sprocket?) nut? I've got an 06', so can one of y'all clue me in? I'm changing my 15tooth oem to a 14 (and 47rear) so this might be the time....

Or I could be completely wrong....sorry for the dork ??'s

countershaft, also known as the front sprocket nut.

try the search botton for all of your locktite nut needs ?

countershaft, also known as the front sprocket nut.

try the search botton for all of your locktite nut needs ?

I'm a dumbarse, I saw the post a few above and read the description...

I guess when I change the front sprocket, this'll be the SOP...Can anyone verify the torque? The earlier post mentioned 80lbs, but that seems light...