Best Sprocket Setup??

I watch Supercross racing on the weekends and notice how quickly those bikes are able to come out of corner and take a triple without any problems.

What would be the best sprocket setup for the various different types of riding that I do?

1. Dirt roads and mountain trails.

2. Motocross tracks.

3. Sand dunes.

Any tips?

-Dawn

They are also 450's with a lot of torque which is part of the reason why they can do that. From what you do (which is basically the whole gearings spectrum) i would stick with stock.

Living MX,

You didn't say what bike you ride.

I agree that regardless of your bike size you can with little effort go up or down a tooth on the fron drive sprocket.

You would want to go down a tooth for MX tracks and up again for wide open trails

I go between a 13 and 14 tooth front and use a test track I laid out on my farm to get a good feel for the diference. One tooth makes a big difference and the sprockets cost only around 20 bucks. Be sure to torque the holdiing nut properly if you try it.

Living MX,

You didn't say what bike you ride.

I agree that regardless of your bike size you can with little effort go up or down a tooth on the fron drive sprocket.

You would want to go down a tooth for MX tracks and up again for wide open trails

I go between a 13 and 14 tooth front and use a test track I laid out on my farm to get a good feel for the diference. One tooth makes a big difference and the sprockets cost only around 20 bucks. Be sure to torque the holdiing nut properly if you try it.

Thanks! :thumbsup: Great advice! ('05, Suzuki DR-Z400E)

Well the heavy DRZ isn't the best bike for blasting out of corners and getting the speed to hit a jump. You have to remember these guys have the most skill, fresh tires and the lightest bikes possible that are making 60 HP.

If you want lightweight and long lasting look into that tri moly sprocket.

14 / 50 would work well:)

With that DRZ at around 260 lbs dry and her body weight likely less than most guys who ride she'll be able to get much improved acceleration with a sprocket change.

Thanks again! I'll get it changed here pretty soon!