Sign in to follow this  

yz125 2 stroke vs 250f 4 stroke pros and cons..

well i might sell my yz125 to get me a used yz250f. my yz125 is fast and all but i t just keeps on fouling plugs. and i just want to change my riding type to four stroke. first off.. are four strokes more dependable? are they faster? are they lighter? are they easier to maintain than the yz125 2 strokes?? i need your opinions. have any one traded from a yz 2 stroke to a 4stroke and evr regret it??

Are they more dependable, yah, for the long run :bonk:

Are they faster, depends on riding style :thumbsup:

Are they lighter, HELL NO! :confused:

Are they easier to maintain, not buy a long shot :bonk:

I would compare lap times and see witch one is more comfortable :thumbsup:

Are they more dependable, yah, for the long run :bonk:

Are they faster, depends on riding style :thumbsup:

Are they lighter, HELL NO! :confused:

Are they easier to maintain, not buy a long shot :bonk:

I would compare lap times and see witch one is more comfortable :thumbsup:

i agree with everything this guy said. can you ride your 125 to the max? a 250f might not be powerful enough for you then. if i was you and the answer to that question was yes, i would look at 250 2 strokes.

Depend what kind of motocross u do.

If you do off-road you better get a 4 strokes.. its easier to get troug<h obstavles and rocks, if you do sand pit you better have a 4 strokes too because they had more torque and gears are longer but if you do track, you should probably get a yz250 as 4Strokin it said.

We have one of each. A 2000 YZ125, and a 2002 YZ250F.

My son and I trade off while riding off-road. Here are some first-hand observations.

The 125 is lighter and feels much more "flickable". It changes directions quicker and responds to input quickly. The 250F seems more planted in corners, and in general.

If the going gets tough, like rocky uphills, both of us would rather ride the 250F. My son was gung-ho for a two-stroke, and still really likes it, but after riding them back-to-back several times, he wants the 250F.

Top speed is almost exactly the same, as is acceleration. Roll-on in top gear, the 250F walks away from the 125. This just means that if you are in a gear too high, the 250f will pull harder than the 125. The 250F gets twice the fuel mileage, at least the way we both ride. We don't race, so I don't really rev the 250F, but I haven't even had to shim the valves in 2 years. I think money wise, they will cost the same over a few year period. All bets are off if the 250 hand-grenades, though.

The 125 is really fun to ride, it's light, easy to jump.

I have never fouled a plug on the 125. Hmmmmm.

If we were racing and I was paying for everything, I would rather have him race a 125.

For the type of off-road riding that we do, the 250F is probably a better choice.

If you are fouling plugs and this is your main dislike have you looked at just changing your fuel/oil ratio? I use to use 50/1 in my yz250 but I also ran it hard all the time. I couldn't let someone borrow it for a fun relax run because I was afraid it would foul the plug.

A friend of mine has a yz250 2 stroke and a wr450f. He rides the yz for woods/mx and he saves his wr for doing long distance enduro's.

He will tell you the wr doesn't compare to the yz and in fact the yz scares him a bit at times.

if you feel like you have the yz125 down to a science it sounds like you would be on top of your game as far as racing goes,why not know the bike your riding 100% and see where that takes ya i bet youll do better on it and then learn the 250f in the off season and master that.

i road a yz 85 and swichted to a yz250f. they are heavyer but if u are racing it will pull out of the corners way faster than any 2 stroke. hope this helps :thumbsup:

i road a yz 85 and swichted to a yz250f. they are heavyer but if u are racing it will pull out of the corners way faster than any 2 stroke. hope this helps :thumbsup:

A 250f wiil not pull harder out of corners than a 250 2-stroke.

its all about riding style. The x games was won on a 250f against 2 smokes and 450's. Some ppl are faster on 2 strokes than 4 strokes and other way around. Each have perks and downfalls so just think about what riding style you have or want and go from there

it will if the 2 stroke blows its engine or runs outta gas. LOL.

Rebuild costs aside there is no comparison between the two bikes, I own the 08 250F and one of my riding buddies has the 125 - two different worlds. The 125 feels like a bicycle compared to the 250F and it tends to deflect off obstacles instead of plowing through them like the 4 strokes. I switched to the 250F's back in 06 after 15+ years on 2 strokes, for average person IMO they will allow you to ride longer and smoother after getting used to the power. The 125 is great but you really need to be on top of the motor ALL THE TIME, there is no lugging or short shifting the 125 at all from a power standpoint. I expected his 08 125 to be better than the last 125 I rode which was an 05, motor pretty much feels identical.

U are not comparing apples to apples. 250f vs. 125, 250f will win. 450f vs. 250, 450f will win.:thumbsup:

it all boils down to personal preference. period. like stated before, they both have there advantages and disadvantages.

see if you have a friend that has a 250f or make a friend that has one, and ask him to take it for a spin and see if you like it better then your 125 or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nori41

U are not comparing apples to apples. 250f vs. 125, 250f will win. 450f vs. 250, 450f will win.

yeah, but.....this year 250 2 strokes are allowed to race against 250 4 strokes, may not be apples to apples...but it is the same class, locally the 250 2 strokes are winning that class....

U are not comparing apples to apples. 250f vs. 125, 250f will win. 450f vs. 250, 450f will win.:busted:

You said a 250f will pull harder than "any" 2 stroke.

It will not pull harder than a 250 , let alone a 500.

:ride: :ride: :cry: :cry: :mad::ride::):thumbsup::busted:

well i might sell my yz125 to get me a used yz250f. my yz125 is fast and all but i t just keeps on fouling plugs. and i just want to change my riding type to four stroke. first off.. are four strokes more dependable? are they faster? are they lighter? are they easier to maintain than the yz125 2 strokes?? i need your opinions. have any one traded from a yz 2 stroke to a 4stroke and evr regret it??

You likely have a jetting issue. Are you using the recommended plug and keeping the air filter clean? Are you using the recommended oil ratio?

As for being faster, it is the rider stupid! :-) I love my 2-stroke 250 and I realize it doesn't have the power of my 450F. You have to ride accordingly. Each bike has it's advantages on the track. The 2-stroke makes you ride harder and will help you learn faster (IMO). 125's are very fast in the right hands when properly tuned. My son is racing Starwest and stomps many 450's on his 250F, yet gets spanked by an intermediate on 125. I am a fairly fast vet, yet I was spanked on my 450 by a 50+ on a 1986 CR125 a few months ago. A jump that was giving me and many others problems was a breeze for a kid I know riding an XR50 in the pro class.

Tune your bike, ride it and have fun. There will always be a faster bike and a faster rider.

U are not comparing apples to apples. 250f vs. 125, 250f will win. 450f vs. 250, 450f will win.

Have you been living under a rock? Do you know about the rule change? 250 4t compete against 250 2t so yes , it is apples to apples.

And its more about rider skill than power, RV proved that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nori41

yeah, but.....this year 250 2 strokes are allowed to race against 250 4 strokes, may not be apples to apples...but it is the same class, locally the 250 2 strokes are winning that class....

idk but i think it is a bad idea for 250 2s/250 4s! Of course the 250' 2s are winning.

(yamaha586) As for your question stick wit your 2smoke or upgrade to a 250 2smoke. LoL yes the newer 4 strokes is awsome but i wouldn't trade a 125 or a 250 2s to a new 450, just not my style man. NO WAY!!! (long live 2 STROKES):ride: