Sign in to follow this  

Coolant issues!

Well I was on my 2nd loop of a desert race and my bike started pinging and overheating really bad. I was about 35 miles into a 40 mile loop so I decided to go ahead and finish the race..It turns out the POS plastic "Y" for the radiator plumbing basically melted apart..I took my impeller housing apart and found all kinds of melted plastic all inside..Is there any way of flushing this stuff out of my engine?Heres some pics

boatpics050.jpg

boatpics049.jpg

boatpics048.jpg

boatpics046.jpg

thats crazy, i hope that the melted plastic is the only thing wrong with the bike

Did you get all the plastic out yet?

I doubt he did, he just posted the issue 7-8 hours before your response.

Man, I sure hope this isn't another reoccuring issue. Good luck!

What a mess. The coolant passages must look like that too? OUCH!

Acetone? At high pressure?

Depends on how much the plastic "rebonded" to itself, I'm not sure acetone would take care of it. My guess is that it would strip the plastic from the metal but would not dissolve the plastic away. This could cause the escaping plastic to clog up in the various passageways.

Man, that just sucks!!!! wood4mx PLEASE keep us posted!

Does it have to be a Y? Could you slip in a 3 way metal vacuum/hose connector(looks more like a T)? Just a thought. I can't believe that melted so badly. Were you losing coolant which caused an overheating condition that caused the melting or was it the melting that caused the overheating?

There had to be something else going on that caused the bike to overheat and the coolant to get so hot that it melted the Y. You don't think that the Y melted and then that caused the bike to overheat do you?

I'm totally confused, never thought something like this could have happened. Give us an update when you know more.

To me it looks like something external melted it. The reason I say this, is the plastic that was in the hose itself if fine, but outside the hose is the melted area. I would say that if the thing was going to melt, ALL would have melted, starting internally (inside the hose) first then the exposed piece of plastic.

Does not make sense... :thumbsup:

One of ours did the same thing and blocked up the radiator with crap.

We had a local guy that makes intercoolers for turbo cars build us alloy Y's for $40.00 a set (we had him make 6 sets).

Interestinly only one bike in our team did it and it waited almost 5 months to do it , the failed bit looked like it was worn thin from the inside and just popped from pressuer when week enought...... we have a few practice bikes out there still with plastic Y's and havent had another one pop.

To me it looks like something external melted it. The reason I say this, is the plastic that was in the hose itself if fine, but outside the hose is the melted area. I would say that if the thing was going to melt, ALL would have melted, starting internally (inside the hose) first then the exposed piece of plastic.

good idea :thumbsup: Maybe that's what happened????? :confused:

Nothing really external that couldve melted it..The pipe has plenty of clearance which to me could be the only possiblilty. Theres no melted plastic at all on the pipe either. I ordered up my parts and should have them friday..Im looking for ideas on how to flush the engine out? Maybe I should just fill it up with water and run it and flush it a few times??

im going to use the fiberglass heat tape that has adhesive on the back to cover the y pipe with.its used to protect your side panels and carbon fiber pipe guards from the header pipe heat.what do u think? :thumbsup:

im going to use the fiberglass heat tape that has adhesive on the back to cover the y pipe with.its used to protect your side panels and carbon fiber pipe guards from the header pipe heat.what do u think? :thumbsup:

That might hold in the heat and cause it to melt even more. How about trying to find a metal y connector?

I would like a metal Y also, so if anyone comes across one let us know! thanks guys!