Short dude, big bike...

So, I'm 5'3" tall and I've been riding motorcycles since I was 12 (I'm 25 now.) I like the looks of the RM-Z250, but it's pretty damn tall for me. I can't even come close to touching two feet to the ground, not even on tip toes. I'm like a good 6" off the ground.

All you short riders out there, how tall are you and what has your experience been with trying to ride a full sized motocross bike?

I do mostly trail riding, but I jump everything I can find and am interesting in getting into racing in the near future. Thanks for your input.

The subframe can be lowered slightly as well. You need to find someone who can weld aluminum though. You take a few milimeters out of the lower subframe where it ties to the frame by your pegs. Don't go too far though or you'll be hitting the rear tire into the fender like crazy. I am 5'8 with short legs, and between a cut down seat (1 1/2 inch or so), and cutting the subframe down I went from barely touching both tippie toes, to almost flat footing on it. I still do starts with a brick under one foot because I am used to doing it that way.

Well, I don't actually have the bike yet. Otherwise I'd definetely trade ya.

I'm thinking I may just hold out and get an '07 when they come out... or maybe I'll ask the guy to give me an '06 at discounted price. Either way, it's gonna be "Freakin Sweet!" ?

Dude, I am 15 and 5 5". I am not exactly your tallest biggest rider. I weigh around 115 soakin wet and yet I jump rmz-250 over 75 feet. Just mess around with your sag on your rear shock and lower it. I got my suspension done by RG3 and I am about 2 times as fast now. Try getting your suspension done. It might help.

My daughter is 5' 2" and weighs 115. We had her YZ 125 suspension sprung, valved and lowered 1" by Factory Connection. I had previously cut the seat down 1" and slightly lowered the subframe. She can now touch with both feet and is much more comfortable on the bike. If you have the cash, professional lowering is the way to go.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and your advice.

I've heard rumors that the 2007 RM-Z250 will have an aluminum frame. Does anyone know what the weight difference will be between the '06 and the '07 bikes? I wanna get the lightest bike possible. Thanks again.

I do mostly trail riding, but I jump everything I can find and am interesting in getting into racing in the near future. Thanks for your input.

I put on a Kouba link. Worked great for me (I'm vertically challenged).

I mostly ride trails and climb hills and play on jumps. Every once in a great while I get on a track. Anyways, I think this might help you. Check it out. ?

http://www.koubalink.com/

• 4 weeks later...

i weigh 125 lbs, im only 5'4 and i just got a 2005 rmz250 yesterday. if i have mx boots on, i can fit both feet just barely tip toed, or one foot about half way down. but the suspension is set soft from the guy that had it before so its easier..but i want to cut the seat foam so i feel more comfortable

I'm right at 5'5 and all I did was take the seat to a good auto interior place and had them cut 1'5 inches out and they were still able to keep the word Suzuki on the side of the seat. They done such a good job that if you didn't look for it you would not notice it.You could also try lowering links(www.KoubaLink.com) they make them for the RMZ250.